Sign in to follow this  
Deltora

Terraforming - Highlight

My personal philosophy why games are succesfull, is because, everyone is able to understand it, if mechanically hidden, it is with discoverable intentions behind it that is meant to be fun!

However, for something as simple as "digging dirt" you could make other ways of explaining it.
I personally think you would help new players experience and some advanced players with "highlighting" what's happening, when performing: A Dig Action, Flatten, Level.
Below here I want to share my thoughts how it could potentially look like.

Tiles in general
When standing on a tile and you have a shovel activated.

- Show that the tile is split up in 4 squares, indicating that if you would dig in that square it will go down that direction.
- When you do the digging action it is shown on the tile borders next to you what's happening. Highlighted in green, until the digging action is finished.

Tiles you Level
When you try to level a tile mark it red that it currently isn't possible. and highlight what needs to be done in order to make it happen in green.

Tiles you Flatten
When you Flatten a tile, a preview is shown what will happen to the tile borders if you continue performing the action.

Edited by Deltora
  • Like 3

Hey, great idea!  Though only if it happens when you have the shovel equipped.  

Or just make it an option to turn on or off in the settings. On by default. 

• Like 1

Instead of equipped. I mean activated in order to see tiles and tile borders.

There could definitely be a setting for it in either 2 forms... 

1. Settings --> Game --> "show Detailed/Smart Tile Borders"  or something similar.

2. on "Profile" where you also find the setting "Dig on a pile". With the name Detailed/Smart Tiles Borders

Whatever setting is easier to implement for the developers.