Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Barnyard Business

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

 

maybe its easier for you to understand this way

when mom yells down the basement that dinners ready and to pause your online game (rifts at times you cannot control)

vs

living on your own and ordering tendies when youre free to (literally any other goal you can do at your own discretion)

this actually is biggest problem with rifts. I don't mind doing whatever no mather how long it takes as long as i don't have to time myself with wurm but can do it whenever i want or feel like it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kochinac said:

this actually is biggest problem with rifts. I don't mind doing whatever no mather how long it takes as long as i don't have to time myself with wurm but can do it whenever i want or feel like it.

 

The age old discussion, RTS or Turn Based. Some like one, some like the other, some like both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the game targets this certain player base only, that doesn't care about their time. Then sure, even increase it from 100 to 1000, also if you ever going to add another tier in the journal, my suggestion is "spend 10.000 euros in a wursm shop ones" i am pretty sure it would be a big hit among the player base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To some extent I understand those who do not like rifts, and feel uncomfortable with the 100 rifts goal. Anyway, that is no reason to spread false arguments.

 

The argument "I do not like time gated actions" is certainly understandable. But I fail to see it more valuable than e.g. "I do not like to cook 400+ different recipes" (which was the case for me, I am not extremely enthusiastic about cookings), which does not last shorter or be considerably less effort than doing 100 rifts. In fact, it was the last goal for me before the master, and granted, in the end, I found some fun with it, and friends helped me with written recipes. The fishing (both goals) was not easy either, but I liked it in the end. For a non miner, I imagine that the 25 metal veins to be killed is not a bit easier than 100 rifts.

 

A false argument is that 100 rifts cannot be reasonably done in 2 years or less, or that travel times are prohibitive. If it is about the goal only, 20 rift points or so, and being on server when the rift closes, do suffice. Time spent may be counted in minutes. There are 40 rifts per server and year, and it is well possible to let oneself summon to at least half of them, or more, during a year, do the few hits necessary, and recall, home portal, or get summoned back. And not much harder for "foreign" servers: sailing out with a priest over the server border, get summoned, get the points, get summoned back, wait for rift to terminate, sail home, time may be half an hour to an hour. Doing that twice a month spells half of the rifts during the year. Not even mentioned the possibility of trusted friends taking the character over to a rift one cannot attend due to work duties etc.

 

I am aware that I cannot bring those who hate rifts to like them as I do. But I fail to see rifts worse than e.g. 70 prayer.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It not about how long it takes, its the fact that you have no control over it whereas everything else you do. You can sit down and chip away at all the other stuff when you have the time, the rifts you are at the mercy of timezones and if people close them close to your available times. This has been said over and over but those who don't want to understand wont.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just add 2 more goals to top tier and require all but 2 be complete. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

It not about how long it takes, its the fact that you have no control over it whereas everything else you do. You can sit down and chip away at all the other stuff when you have the time, the rifts you are at the mercy of timezones and if people close them close to your available times. This has been said over and over but those who don't want to understand wont.

 

This 1000% times over.

 

 

Most rifts happen at stupid times - for me, its almost always either during the working day, or while I am asleep. 
When they are in my timezone at a decent time, if I want to attend, I would have to put off making dinner or other activities included to living a normal life, such as doing the washing etc etc.

I've made a total of 1 out of counting 6 rifts that have been available at a reasonable time without being a stupid inconvenient IRL since I started looking at them in Feb 2020. 
Yes some happen at maybe 9pm my time, but that includes an hour of travel to the rift, staying at the rift and then possibly returning home or camping there nigh midnight - which is not always viable.

 

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

A false argument is that 100 rifts cannot be reasonably done in 2 years or less, or that travel times are prohibitive.

 

Depending on your time zone, your work schedule, where you are located on your server and where the rift is located on other servers - 100 rifts in a 2 year timespan can be completely unreasonable.
Yes, most wurm players are old geezer retirees that can no life this fine game of ours 24/7, but that doesn't mean that we are all like that.

Also, the assumption that one can just hire priests, or hand their account to a trusted friend etc to make the goal easier not only undermines what the goal should be, but also overplays what the average wurm player has access too.

Edited by Blazecraze
cont.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

To some extent I understand those who do not like rifts, and feel uncomfortable with the 100 rifts goal. Anyway, that is no reason to spread false arguments.

 

The argument "I do not like time gated actions" is certainly understandable. But I fail to see it more valuable than e.g. "I do not like to cook 400+ different recipes" (which was the case for me, I am not extremely enthusiastic about cookings), which does not last shorter or be considerably less effort than doing 100 rifts. In fact, it was the last goal for me before the master, and granted, in the end, I found some fun with it, and friends helped me with written recipes. The fishing (both goals) was not easy either, but I liked it in the end. For a non miner, I imagine that the 25 metal veins to be killed is not a bit easier than 100 rifts.

 

A false argument is that 100 rifts cannot be reasonably done in 2 years or less, or that travel times are prohibitive. If it is about the goal only, 20 rift points or so, and being on server when the rift closes, do suffice. Time spent may be counted in minutes. There are 40 rifts per server and year, and it is well possible to let oneself summon to at least half of them, or more, during a year, do the few hits necessary, and recall, home portal, or get summoned back. And not much harder for "foreign" servers: sailing out with a priest over the server border, get summoned, get the points, get summoned back, wait for rift to terminate, sail home, time may be half an hour to an hour. Doing that twice a month spells half of the rifts during the year. Not even mentioned the possibility of trusted friends taking the character over to a rift one cannot attend due to work duties etc.

 

I am aware that I cannot bring those who hate rifts to like them as I do. But I fail to see rifts worse than e.g. 70 prayer.

I am done with the journal so for me it doesn't matter anymore, but this goal isn't about hard or easy, like it or not, long or short, it's about not being able to work towards it on your own time, which is dictated by your life not the game. It might be resonalbe for the current players that this game have shriveled to, but don't think it's resonable for any other normal player that probably going to quit anyways, so yeah who cares and don't change it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Galatyn said:

Rifts on Epic home servers stay open for a good while.  From experience, Serenity's is around 2-3 days.  Niarja says the others are >2 days.  There are opportunities for everyone in SFI.

 

 

Please do a rift on desertion when you have time. If you can find people to do it, I'll be amazed. Half of the rifts recently done on MRH were solo players doing them. 

 

Rifts have been discussed to death and tbh, you are literally the first person I've met who said they liked them. 

 

That says everything in my book. One exception does not change a terrible goal. 

 

Conservatively, it would take at least 400 real life hours to do that single goal. 400. About 17 real life days. Half of those hours will be spent traveling or getting things ready for a rift (imping armor, weps, getting gear ready, sailing ,etc). 

 

And you're bound to random times if you can actually make the journey in the first place. You can't do them at your own leisure. You're forced to play on a detemined timer when they open. 

 

I rather have anyone justify how it is sane and good game design to tell a player he has to dedicate 17 real life days out of his life to do a mindless journal quest for an ultimate goal that isn't even that overpowered in the first place. 10% bonus to affinity windows? Or was it rare chance? Something among those lines. Who hoo,  I have a greater chance at getting an affinity in Rake. Totally worth to spend 400 hours of my life doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MrGARY said:

 

maybe its easier for you to understand this way

when mom yells down the basement that dinners ready and to pause your online game (rifts at times you cannot control)

vs

living on your own and ordering tendies when youre free to (literally any other goal you can do at your own discretion)

 

It is very common for people to make small protected fenced areas right outside the rift area.  When I have to step away, that's where I stay.  I've seen a lot of other people do the same.  

So when mom yells down the basement, park in a fenced area.

Edited by Galatyn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

 

It is very common for people to make small protected fenced areas right outside the rift area.  When I have to step away, that's where I stay.  I've seen a lot of other people do the same.  

So when mom yells down the basement, park in a fenced area.

why is it important to you that other people go to rifts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blazecraze said:

 


When they are in my timezone at a decent time, if I want to attend, I would have to put off making dinner or other activities included to living a normal life, such as doing the washing etc etc.

I've made a total of 1 out of counting 6 rifts that have been available at a reasonable time without being a stupid inconvenient IRL since I started looking at them in Feb 2020. 
Yes some happen at maybe 9pm my time, but that includes an hour of travel to the rift, staying at the rift and then possibly returning home or camping there nigh midnight - which is not always viable.

 

 

I'm glad to provide some suggestions that work for me and for other people that I've seen do the same.  Hopefully this will make your Rift goal completion journey easier/faster.

 

1. Look on Niarja for a day/time that you can attend.  

https://www.niarja.com/universes/online/rifts

2. If the start time (or up to 1 hour after it starts) is not possible to attend, then sail well before it starts when you do have some time and build a simple 1x2 locked gated fenced area.  You can use this fenced area to temporary park in later during the rift if something comes up in RL and have to afk.

3. Bring a tent in case you die, so don't waste time trying to run back to the Rift.  You can hitch your horse to it while waiting for the Rift to start.

4. Log in when you can and kill mobs/burn hearts and strive for at least 25 points, which is very easy and fast if either just target what others are fighting or burning hearts, both for 1 point each.  If all you did was log in and burn hearts in wave 4 solo and close the Rift, you will receive journal credit.  Wave 4 = takes 25 hearts to close

5. After the Rift is finished, ride back to the fenced area and log out, if no time.  Can always log in and travel back to deed some other time.

 

I am literally following those steps for tonight's rift on Cele.  I have my avatars parked at the Rift in a fenced area ready to go, and will arrive home after it starts, but should have enough time to gain 25 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

 

I'm glad to provide some suggestions that work for me and for other people that I've seen do the same.  Hopefully this will make your Rift goal completion journey easier/faster.

 

1. Look on Niarja for a day/time that you can attend.  

https://www.niarja.com/universes/online/rifts

2. If the start time (or up to 1 hour after it starts) is not possible to attend, then sail well before it starts when you do have some time and build a simple 1x2 locked gated fenced area.  You can use this fenced area to temporary park in later during the rift if something comes up in RL and have to afk.

3. Bring a tent in case you die, so don't waste time trying to run back to the Rift.  You can hitch your horse to it while waiting for the Rift to start.

4. Log in when you can and kill mobs/burn hearts and strive for at least 25 points, which is very easy and fast if either just target what others are fighting or burning hearts, both for 1 point each.  If all you did was log in and burn hearts in wave 4 solo and close the Rift, you will receive journal credit.  Wave 4 = takes 25 hearts to close

5. After the Rift is finished, ride back to the fenced area and log out, if no time.  Can always log in and travel back to deed some other time.

 

I am literally following those steps for tonight's rift on Cele.  I have my avatars parked at the Rift in a fenced area ready to go, and will arrive home after it starts, but should have enough time to gain 25 points.

 

So to recap

You're against goals that people with limited time to play can complete reasonably and freely, as and when they wish

But you're for one of the most hated game mechanics in quite a long time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sarahbee said:

why is it important to you that other people go to rifts?

 

It's not about that at all.  It's about providing viable solutions to real world problems and proving that:

100 rifts = great end-game goal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG this is a much need addition..DONKEY!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madnath said:

 

So to recap

You're against goals that people with limited time to play can complete reasonably and freely, as and when they wish

But you're for one of the most hated game mechanics in quite a long time?

 

Where did I say I was against any goals?  Please stop saying falsehoods and spreading propaganda.  

 

Edited by Galatyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Galatyn said:

 

It's not about that at all.  It's about providing viable solutions to real world problems and proving that:

100 rifts = great end-game goal

How to do it never was the problem and it's no brainer that you can lich at rifts. It doesn't even prove anything

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elentari said:

Please do a rift on desertion when you have time. If you can find people to do it, I'll be amazed. Half of the rifts recently done on MRH were solo players doing them.

Rifts have been discussed to death and tbh, you are literally the first person I've met who said they liked them. 

That says everything in my book. One exception does not change a terrible goal. 

You know, count me in, and it is not very honest or strangely ignorant that you did not recognize my opinion. Btw., if there are a few people at Desertion (granted I was at Igni last time but that shouldn't be a problem) to fight a rift, tell me. I may come over, though my armour and weapon are not exciting. 

 

And btw, especially younger players in PvE love rifts. Main reason is that they are nearly the only joint combat experience in Wurm PvE. Understandably, they are not equally exciting for highly experienced players with high FS  and fight related skills, and elite weaponry and armour.

 

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Conservatively, it would take at least 400 real life hours to do that single goal. 400. About 17 real life days. Half of those hours will be spent traveling or getting things ready for a rift (imping armor, weps, getting gear ready, sailing ,etc). 

 

This is rubbish. On your home server, you may let you summon to the rift, whack a few dogs and wabbits, recall or home portal etc., and be done. Takes 5-10 minutes. On other servers, it may take bit longer, but 4 hours is not required for the goal. You may pick servers with easily accessible rifts (I loved Pristine), and may get your goal under 2 hours (even under 1) depending on your server and location there. Also, you may choose to park your character ahead of the rift, get back and forth with friends, use the allowed shared logins, etc.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very exciting! So happy to see the love being shown to Wurm. Donkey looks awesome :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

4cad180c10513070bf8ca46d06236d2f.png




Just posting this image here in spoiler so you can see kind of what I mean.

Current rifts - pretty much either while im at work or on my way to work, or while I am fast asleep.
Yes rifts change time and day, they rotate - but most of my rotations either end up for when I am asleep, or when I am at work.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems there's a need to post a reminder this thread is about future features being implemented, like the Donkey! There are other threads more suited towards rift discussions et al.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Galatyn said:

 

Where did I say I was against any goals?  Please stop saying falsehoods and spreading propaganda.  

 

 

But just about every reply you've made past your initial one has been "Here's my watchmojo top 10 tips for getting to rifts!"

Here's a shocking concept, give us a goal which is actually challenging and isn't easily cheesed in order to prevent people going to rifts to get the bare minimum points and then leaving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the topic of new horse shapes: 

 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:35 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

In addition to new traits and donkeys, we are going to bring a bit of personality to your herds by introducing slight variations in body shapes for horses.

 

For anyone interested in the background of how this came about, anyone remember that suggestion I made many years ago about having different horse shapes? My thinking was that with a few tweaks of the mesh, we could literally triple the amount of horse variations in the game. 

 

mesh.jpg

 

HorseShapeAnimation.gif

 

And since we were now working on the animal update, I figured I'd show the team this old suggestion and to my surprise and delight, they really were enthusiastic to actually put this into motion!

 

Now these old files I worked on were only done in the standing pose, so although I've handed the files over to to the team, it might be that slight alterations are needed to make them work with animations. However I do hope we can get as close as possible to these shapes. :)

 

If anyone wants to see these suggested shapes in all the various horse colors, you can check them out here: 

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's cool, skinny, fat and normal horses.  Would be nice if we could get things like different breeds (beyond the color skins):  Draft Horses (big brutes for hauling, like a Morgan, Clydesdale, Shire, etc.), , race horses (light horse for speed, like an Arabian) and agile horse (thing dodge mechanics for fighting, so a mix of the two - Quarterhorse, Appaloosa)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spacy said:

That's cool, skinny, fat and normal horses.  Would be nice if we could get things like different breeds (beyond the color skins):  Draft Horses (big brutes for hauling, like a Morgan, Clydesdale, Shire, etc.), , race horses (light horse for speed, like an Arabian) and agile horse (thing dodge mechanics for fighting, so a mix of the two - Quarterhorse, Appaloosa)

 

I won't comment on the actual speed/strength mechanics, however from the visual standpoint, what you describe is pretty much exactly what the above already is, only simplified :). (so instead of having all the world's breeds, arabs and other nimble breeds have been packaged into the "hot blooded" body type, morgan's, clysedales, shires etc have been packaged into "cold blooded" etc) If you look closely, you will see that the hot blooded model is pretty much an Arabian. The cold blooded is meant to be a draft horse shape etc. 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this