Sign in to follow this  
Tuga

The venerable charcoal i the black dragon hatchling 😮

Hey guys, recently found this relic from the past!!

Don´t have much time now, so this is kind on a short notice.

I would like to invite you all to take a swing at it and grab a blood and a piece of hide as a memory 😝

Location: Xanadu S20 East side on the shore. Look for a unnamed Guard Tower

Time: auction_timer_E1618164617.gif

• Like 11

Hiya, 

So nice to see Charcoal found. Grats on the find. Yes Charcoal broke out quite a while ago. Near a year? She's a black drake that was hatched by Zalifear with a Huge Egg he had. Halloween 2014 was to be her birthday, but she was a bit eager on the hatching by a couple of days. 

At first Zalifear had her penned up on his deed there on Xanadu, but it was not properly constructed and Charcoal mine the floors and walls like crazy. What a mess. Zalifear had to think of a better way. He did.. he came up with an amazing design that bafflled Charcoal for at least 5+ years.  It just happened that the ideal location happened to be right there on my deed. So the new pen was constructed and I became a Charcoal babysitter. 

After Charcoal broke out, Zali and I went for a look around. We're surrounded by 3 mountains and a one sea. No sign of her around us, she didn't seem to be on the 'tether' anymore. Even if we found her, neither of us wanted to organize any type of kill.  We could have re-penned, but even that seemed to be too much. So we decided to give up the search and let her be free.

Thanks so much for finding her and organizing this to be public. I hope there are thousands and thousands of bloods and Charcoal Hide spread around the lands, and I'm sure Zalifear feels the same way. It was a wonderful experience in my Wurm life. Thank you very much Zalifear for allowing me to be a part of it.

Edit:

Charcoal2.jpg

Edited by Gumbo
added pic
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Tuga said:

Hey guys, recently found this relic from the past!!

Don´t have much time now, so this is kind on a short notice.

I would like to invite you all to take a swing at it and grab a blood and a piece of hide as a memory 😝

Location: Xanadu S20 East side on the shore. Look for a unnamed Guard Tower

Time: auction_timer_E1618164617.gif

L E G E N D !!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gumbo said:

SShe's a black drake that was hatched by Zalifear with a Huge Egg he had. Halloween 2014 was to be her birthday, but she was a bit eager on the hatching by a couple of days. 

So here's what I've always wondered: why "Charcoal i"?

What strikes me about that name is that there's a 20 character limit on naming items, but a 10 character limit on animals out of resulting eggs (at least with chicks, maybe it's different for dragons).

And "Charcoal i" happens to be 10 characters

This presents a number of possibilities, including but not limited to

• Charcoal II was just going to have to fend for itself
  • The name was originally longer, but got shortened

My long-standing favourite theory deriving from this is that it was originally called "charcoal in here" and the egg was being used as one of the most expensive BSB signs ever.

Please: what's behind the name?

54 minutes ago, Stanlee said:

So here's what I've always wondered: why "Charcoal i"?

Please: what's behind the name?

Back in original Deli times, Zalifear (with others) penned the original black drake there. A female. She would produce an egg or two every year. Zali would host kills occasionally, every one of them was a black drake. Pretty sure the name derived from the colour similarities, black / charcoal. It was meant as Charcoal I (the first). The hope being that if a girl, she'd pump out many more babies and they could be named sequentially, roman numeral. Game mechanics in regard to (penned) uniques can and do change at any time.

You would prolly do better with a reply from Zali on it tho. I know it was thought out for a long time, by Zali.

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 1

There is a 10 character limit on spawns from eggs.

Sad to see one of the last relics of a better time in the unique dying. 
Would have much preferred if t was repenned :( 

• Like 3

I think they broke permanent penning completely. Not sure the exact change that did it, but afaik the pen was inescapable under old mechanics. 

anything more specific for location?  this doesn't appear to be as obvious as it originally sounded...

Only unnamed tower I found was on the T20/T21 border, up near the spine roadway.  

OK, I think we found the location.  The tower was hidden on a hill, behind a cedar grove, just off the waterline.  Confused?  Yep, we were too!

I did cut down some of the cedars at the water level, to help make it more obvious something is going on.  There are a couple boats already, with my Kitten's Triumph moored there.  If desired, I can replant the cedars I cut...I have some sprouts with me!   Just wanted to make it a little easier to see, open some space and provide a lot of wood if anyone needs it. :)

it is actually just north of the S20 location, just over the line into R20.  east side of the peninsula,  west side of the bay.  currently 3 knarrs moored here

It is really S20? Can anyone give a more detailed description of the location. I am doing my circles in that area, but not finding it. Just found the tower spacy already mentioned, but neither the tower, nor your ship.

//edit: Thanks to Xandice, I finally found it. For others finding it maybe easier i created a map. The cross might not be 100% accurate as there are not many landmarks nearby. It might be a bit more north into R20 maybe. If you coming from the south, just follow the cliff until you see the ships moored there already.

blackdragon.png

Edited by CalebXephrime
  • Like 1

youll see a boatload of boat , just put it ontop 

There isn't a lot of space at this site (so I really hope we have the right place!), and carts/horses aren't even necessary.  We will be very crowded in, so just jam in where you can. :)

thanks for finding it and making the fight public it was amazing to see the mythical creature after so many years.

Rest in Peace Charcoal

• Like 3

Thanks for the fun event. A shame this legend has met her destiny. Some random screenies to remember the occasion.

HMT1l2D.png7KdbxIG.pngWhlfJ8u.pngsd2j9kg.pngKC2RHlb.png

vhmawt9.png

• Like 2