Sign in to follow this  
Ajala

Two possible Beverages bugs

Two possible bugs with beverages.

When making wort (for beer/ale etc), the QL is capped at my skill level, which is 90.54. If I then put the wort into a wine barrel and seal it with a scrap, it becomes fermenting beer. A few days later, after I have fermented it, I unseal the barrel to find that the beer QL has dropped to 88.64. This has happened on three barrels I've tested it with so far.

The official cooking guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PhEhJkjNy-jl3_L5mdaQRVzyfdS7MfAt8_iNwSaHYYE/edit) says that skill has no bearing on fermentation or distillation, so I assume there's a bug here.

This guy on NFI claims his beverages give 24+ hours of affinity per sip (a sip being 0.20kg). His skill, and therefore his bev QL, appears to be considerably lower than mine. But here on SFI, my 94+ QL vodka gives about 90-100 minutes per sip. What's going on here? Looks like a bug to me.

No idea about #1 but #2 is very possible and not a bug.

Certain beverages are very open recipes much like pizza. Just like some do pizzas with timers that are an hour, ten hours, 24 hours, 44 hours (up to the cap) the same goes for those beverages. If you spend the time figuring out how to target that affinity it's very possible even with just unfermented versions. Getting into the fermenting/distilling is a whole other thing to figure out the affinity target. It's all about the beverage complexity, just like it is for pizzas.

What Tek said.

The very easiest way to increase your affinity timer is to make something that can use a lot of ingredients. And then actually use a lot of ingredients.

You can make a full house pizza with dough+passata+1 piece of meat. With high ql ingredients it'll turn out high ql. It doesn't mean that pizza will give a long affinity timer (spoiler alert: It won't. At best like 20-30 minutes at 90+ ql).

People who make pizzas with long timers also take a lot of steps to increase the complexity and therefore the timer (add more ingredients, chop/pre-cook ingredients, etc.)

Drinks work the same way. There's a reason why people make pizzas for long affinity and not breakfasts. Try making a different drink, such as moonshine (which allows for a variety of ingredients processed in a variety of ways to raise complexity) instead of vodka. You'll have to experiment and figure out the rest yourself, but your vodka giving low timers is (very likely) not a bug, since vodka uses very few amount of ingredients.

Edited by Borstaskor

Cheers guys.

I seem to recall that after you distill a high-end fermented beverage it no longer matters what ingredients went into the unfermented beverage, the output will be exactly the same affinity. So vodka will always be vodka-affinity, whiskey will always have the same affinity. If not a bug, that's certainly a design flaw.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:14 AM, Ajala said:

Cheers guys.

I seem to recall that after you distill a high-end fermented beverage it no longer matters what ingredients went into the unfermented beverage, the output will be exactly the same affinity. So vodka will always be vodka-affinity, whiskey will always have the same affinity. If not a bug, that's certainly a design flaw.

This is correct;  a beverage once it comes out of a still will always have the same affinity regardless of the ingredients used(tho rarity of the still will affect the end affinity result).  As far as I know there is one, maybe 2 beverages that can give the kind of timers claimed in the merchant ad and given that there are 4 potential affinities for 1 or 2 beverages (and to get that you need a rare, supreme AND fantastic still) for a total of 8 affinities...I have to wonder how they are making this claim.

My guess as I said above is that they are sticking with unfermented versions, as those can be targeted and have a wide range of ingredients that can be used. I know from some early testing I did months ago when I was planning to expand pizza business into bevs as well that at around 80ql I was getting about 15 hour timer without much further testing once I hit an unfixed issue.

Edited by Tek

9 hours ago, Tek said:

My guess as I said above is that they are sticking with unfermented versions, as those can be targeted and have a wide range of ingredients that can be used. I know from some early testing I did months ago when I was planning to expand pizza business into bevs as well that at around 80ql I was getting about 15 hour timer without much further testing once I hit an unfixed issue.

Well yeah you can do that, but thats just disappointing.

As an aside, even unfermented moonshine can make you tipsy - thats for sure a bug:

[03:31:20] The unfermented moonshine tastes so good you almost feel like singing.
[03:31:20] You are tipsy.
[03:31:20] You suddenly realise that you have more of an insight about fletching!
[03:31:20] You stop drinking.

Edited by Demonix

Getting drunk from unprocessed alcohol is a bug, and will be fixed in a future update.

3 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Getting drunk from unprocessed alcohol is a bug, and will be fixed in a future update.

And what about the reduction in quality while fermenting beer? Nobody seems to have addressed that yet.

When addressing the "Getting drunk from unprocessed alcohol" bug, maybe also address the problem of affinities being reset during fermentation and distillation?

Edited by Ajala

I have noticed this bug as well with the quality of the alcohol going down due to fermentation. I have also noticed it when distilling spirits in stills.

If it helps I have a complete list of all affinities from all known alcohols (from each woodtype including the archeology wood types) (fermented and distilled) There are about 28 or so affinities that are not possible to get depending on your affinity modifier. I didn't include unfermented moonshine or tea as those seem to work as 'intended' from my investigation 90+ql alcohol which is a heckin pain in the butt to make if you don't have the skill for it only gives about an 1-2 hours affinity timers I have not seen how long beer or ale gives at that skill since I cant make it 90ql, but I did manage to make a very complex unfermented moonshine, the timer seemed to translate over when I fermented a barrel and distilled it but the affinity was still the one it always has so that seems like a pretty big bug as well.

I will be honest, I really wish our Dev team would make some changes to beverages because the cooking system isn't doing it justice. Maybe a more indepth look at how beverages are made in real life because theres so many ways to actually make each of the different kinds of alcohol, and each way produces variations. We don't even have a malting process or wooden tankards for our brews.

• Like 1