Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

Nominate 1 item to be non-tradable, to gain a permanent sleep powder container

How different would Wurm be, if you could choose merely 1 item to always keep on death, after you've outgrown your newbie gear and used up your mirror? 1 thing that your Wurmian life would not be worth living without? Your 'personal artifact' that acts as a Wurmian incarnation of a soul-vault.

Maybe it's that fantastic helm you just managed to imp. Maybe it's a sentimental keepsake such as a Christmas present from a dear friend. Maybe it's something that your 'personal look' could simply not be complete without, in your eyes.

If it can fit in your inventory, if you consider it irreplaceable, and if you're prepared to make it non-tradable, I say it would be a fantastic add-on feature for your account.

And how about a little artifact-style bonus of functionality, just to sweeten the pot for those who are very practical souls?

Every sleep-powder takes up 1 inventory space. Thus, after death, you must first replace the container used to store those no-drop items. In some rare cases, this mechanic can even lead to an 'overflow bug'. Even the 'safest' account can die to a glitch.

But what if soul-binding your nominated item added a permanent container to your inventory, that only sleep-powder could fit in? With an icon matching your item, of course. Your soul-stamp of custom identity.

After all, where else would you stash something as abstract and intangible as 'sleep powder'?

I truly shiver at the thought of archaeology being extended, to be able to restore an unbound, personal artifact of an account that, as archaeology implies, probably has some morbid reason for becoming 'unbound'. I'm not sure whether finding such a thing would be a blessing or a curse. Perhaps such things truly belong in mausoleums, inhabited only by their sleeping spirit. On display as the missing link between players and hired spirits, and giving a boost to deed guardians by their presence.

Finally, to those who may perhaps feel that this dilutes the purity of PvP mechanics: We're all human. I feel that having the option of just 1 personal item you cannot lose, could make enough difference to the morale of the individual, that it would be worth the frustration of never being able to separate them from it.

8 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

There used to be a Bag of keeping.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Bag_of_keeping

I believe that this is suitably original, and separate to, that mechanic, that the availability of one would not negate the worth of the other.

Edited by Drayka
grammar

I feel like this would be best used as a marks store item. One off buy, could be cheap but a nice extra thing you could buy with the marks from a first prem. I think the idea would need some extra fleshing out, I can see newbies not seeing the long term value nature of it and blowing it on some crappy item they'd regret later.

• Like 1

Additionally, sleep powder doesn't take up space in your maximum inventory count

On 4/5/2021 at 2:37 AM, Archaed said:

Additionally, sleep powder doesn't take up space in your maximum inventory count

Did they change the code in the last few months then?

18 hours ago, Archaed said:

Few years IIRC

I'll have to track down the time frame of that bug.

Feel free to suggest a different bonus instead of sleep powder storage.