Sign in to follow this  
Thorinoakshield

Maes Knoll canal closed for reconstruction

Starting Sunday 04 - 04 and for about the next 2-3 weeks all entrances to the Maes Knoll canal are closed for reconstruction.

How long this will last depends at the time the people working at this have on hand. So hopefully it's just 2 weeks and not 3. :) 

I'll keep y'all informed about the progress.

Thorin :) 

Edited by Thorinoakshield
fixing typo's
  • Like 1

I would appreciate a bit more transparency about the project. Where will the new MK tunnel start and end? Why is it necessary at all to collapse the existing entrances? What kind of assistance could be given?

Would you like any assistance or any materials?

For the record, I'm not participating in this reconstruction.

The owner of the Maes Knoll deed is, so if anyone wants to help, or has questions contact him ingame.

Now the drama happened. The player in charge of the project collapsed the original tunnel, sealed the northern exit to the other lake by a deed (MK North), and left the work unfinished while being absent since over 2 weeks. So far there is not sure when or whether he will return.

The project itself is certainly awesome, and will certainly be a honorable candidate for a heritage site. The amount of work already done is gigantic, with tens if not over hundred resource tiles mined out, an approximately 350 long and 5 tiles wide tunnel (side tunnels to MK and Stonehill not counted), the highway part complete except the northeastern exit, fully paved and catseyed, with imperial lamps every 5 tiles. The waterway is partially finished. Work left would be approximately 20-25 thousand pick hits on stone to mine down to and below the water table (a work I would need not much more than 20 hrs alone, or 14 with an alt).

But the northern exit is sealed, with mining rights only for the deed owner (and that of his main probably). I can say that I am fairly displeased about. Beyond heritage sites, there should be rules to protect existing vital communication ways such as tunnels, canals, bridges, and highways from disruptions depending on the deliberation of a single individual, and possibly lasting for indefinite time. Before such a disruption a mandatory contingency plan should be laid down at the GM naming at least one person who could conclude the project in case of unavailability of the originator, or delegate the work to others willing to take up the work.

At the moment we can only hope that the project originator comes back and finishes his work.

Edited by Ekcin

Is it possible to find the mayor of the deed and reach them via forum message? If it's part of the Maes Knoll deeds, Niarja shows that Qdatly and Buddha (same person maybe?) are the principals for that.

QD has been away from the game due to a very busy RL. It's something that happens to all of us from time  to time and is nothing to worry about; as knowing him I'm quite certain he will complete the project.

All it takes is a little patience from the community; which I think isn't that hard to do, isn't it?
I mean, considering he did all done so far by himself, with no help of the community at all and only some minor help from some of his alliance members - and not even me - in about 8-12 months; what are a few more weeks extra or being forced to sail through either Fogshore Canal or Darq Canal and the T&T and sail a few hours longer as usual?

Knowing from personal experience how tiring it can be to do such a huge project all alone, I think a bit more respect for Qd and some more patience because of his absence should be the least one can have.

9 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Now the drama happened. The player in charge of the project collapsed the original tunnel, sealed the northern exit to the other lake by a deed (MK North), and left the work unfinished while being absent since over 2 weeks. So far there is not sure when or whether he will return.

The project itself is certainly awesome, and will certainly be a honorable candidate for a heritage site. The amount of work already done is gigantic, with tens if not over hundred resource tiles mined out, an approximately 350 long and 5 tiles wide tunnel (side tunnels to MK and Stonehill not counted), the highway part complete except the northeastern exit, fully paved and catseyed, with imperial lamps every 5 tiles. The waterway is partially finished. Work left would be approximately 20-25 thousand pick hits on stone to mine down to and below the water table (a work I would need not much more than 20 hrs alone, or 14 with an alt).

But the northern exit is sealed, with mining rights only for the deed owner (and that of his main probably). I can say that I am fairly displeased about. Beyond heritage sites, there should be rules to protect existing vital communication ways such as tunnels, canals, bridges, and highways from disruptions depending on the deliberation of a single individual, and possibly lasting for indefinite time. Before such a disruption a mandatory contingency plan should be laid down at the GM naming at least one person who could conclude the project in case of unavailability of the originator, or delegate the work to others willing to take up the work.

At the moment we can only hope that the project originator comes back and finishes his work.

As for the rest:
You're the one making drama out of this. It was mentioned it may take some time, it took a bit longer as expected because people have a personal live next to WO, so a bit more patience would have been apreciated.

As for your suggestion that a GM would be able to name someone to conclude a project: That's not the job of a GM, nor any staff member. The only one who's got a right to do is is the project leader.

So my suggestion is you wait until Qd's back and talk to him in game about being an assistant; or  you wait for him to return to finish the project.

Or you simply wait for the deed to drop and finish it yourself.

• Like 2

Well, the retort and insult by Thorin was to be expected. In fact, I did never want to badmouth the project or the player who has spent about a year of tony of work for a really beautiful tunnel. But the planning for finishing it was self centered, inconsiderate, and ruthless towards the community. I have worked several months last year to make the eastern part of Xanadu better accessible, now the water passage is cut off, possibly for months. And this deals with a previously fully functional albeit ways uglier passage. The absurd thing is that with better planning, and the northern exit made ready, the work could be finished at least functionally in a few days (and I would be happy to do that work, and further help with mortar etc for completion of the cladding).

Indeed it can happen to anybody to be torn off the game and its time consuming tasks for indefinite times. That is why it is inappropriate to leave the power of disrupting a vital communication way for weeks, or even months, or at worst longer (nobody knows how long the upkeep for that deed will last), to single individuals. Everyone messing with a functional highway will face to be slapped by the GM, so it is simply illogical to assert that "it is not the job of a GM, nor any staff member", that established communication venues stay in place, and be operational. I did not say it is at the moment, but it could, and probably should be. And that the community not just has to be flatly "informed" by a third party "I am shutting down your connection for weeks, or longer, swallow it".

Edited by Ekcin
typo

Is that salted or sweeted popcorn, Ajala?

If it's salted, can I have some please? :D 

Thorin - I know Q, he is good people.  As you said he has deed protection turned on.  Have you, or anybody for that matter, taken a look and seen if it would be worth wild to do a temp (1 tunnel wide) detour until he can come back?  If so, I would be willing to put in a couple days game time.  The detour can always be collapsed once he comes back and can properly finish.

I don't use the tunnel, I can't say how important it is to anyone else, nor do I want to doubt in anyone's ability to complete their projects.

But I do find it odd that the thread and all information about the project is given by someone not even participating in the job, and the deed/project owner was not at all given in the original notice.

I mean, good to get heads up, even if it's from 3rd party; but if one decides to completely shut down a widely used route for the public, then at least... eh, you get the idea.

/shrugs

I think it was stated somewhere above, or maybe in chat, that Q doesn't have forum access.

• Like 1

Just got word today that the tunnel is accessable for traffic again.

Spoiler

JjwdPuK.jpg

Spoiler

4FBJUS1.jpg

Therefore status of the canal can be changed to open.

If all goes well - and knowing Qd, it will - it will be accessable for all boats after the weekend.

Thanks for the update, Qd and thanks for all the work done in there.

This also means this topic can be closed.

• Like 2