Sign in to follow this  
Delone

Gate keys mailed and collected on a different server no longer work

Mailed out a key to a pen on Harmony that was collected on Cadence. When the person arrived, key would not open pen.

Tested mailing a key, and collecting on Harmony, that key was fine.

Replaced the lock on the pen that was now not working with a freshly made gate lock and key. Mailed the key out and collected on Cadence again. 

Once again upon returning to Harmony, the brand new key would not open the gate to which the lock had been attached.

Installed another fresh lock, gave that key to somebody without permissions, they were able to access the pen fine, so it definitely seems to be an issue with the key and lock after mailing off server, it's not something with the specific gate.

Edit:

The person who collected the first key contacted GM's to see if they could assist, not sure if they looked at the issue itself, advised player to wait for me to resolve.

Both of the gate locks and keys are available on character Impossible on Harmony server if it is desired they be looked at.

Edited by Delone
  • Like 1

If you feel like trying something else.. try to make a key-mould with Clay and the original key(fire it to turn the clay to pottery mould - this works with copper lump to make a copy with the mould, unsure if all metals work),

Does the copper key copy work after it's mailed and collected on another server?

1 hour ago, Finnn said:

If you feel like trying something else.. try to make a key-mould with Clay and the original key(fire it to turn the clay to pottery mould - this works with copper lump to make a copy with the mould, unsure if all metals work),

Does the copper key copy work after it's mailed and collected on another server?

Made copper key as suggested, traded to alt and test, all okay. Traded copper key back to deedholder. 

Sailed alt to Cadence, deedholder then mailed key.  Alt collected on Cadence and sailed back - copper copy of key no longer worked. 

Removed copy of key from alt, traded him the original key (which hadn't left server), it still worked to open the associated gate.

Further testing: Now sailing alt to Cadence and back with the working original key to see if it continues to work when he returns.... update to come 😜

• Like 1

Possibly related to the problems with locks on tents crossing servers and attempted fixes thereof?

Sailing to Cadence with an original key in inventory and returning seems fine, key worked for alt upon return.

Repeating the process with key in boat (outside of inventory)  to test that.

Update:

Key placed into boat by deedholder, taken out by alt when on cadence then brought to Harmony, key continues to work

Edited by Delone

I remember having a lot of problems with this years ago, when I was in the horse breeding business and someone on another server wanted to reserve specific horses to pick up later. I got so worn out having to arrange meet ups to open the pens for folks because mailed keys didn't work when they got there, I finally just stopped offering to reserve the animals. So, either that has been a thing for a very long time, or it is a 'returning' bug if it was fixed in the past.

I recently moved to a new server and also found various keys to things like magic chests no longer worked as well, eventually all got sorted out  but mostly I just replaced locks and keys where I could. So like the tent lock problem, it seems to affect a lot of different things when it comes to crossing servers with anything involving locks and keys.

• Like 1

Yes, I have had the same problem with copper horse pen keys mailed out to someone on another server.  Even though I was online to help, I got given such a hard time - the person accused me of sending the wrong keys deliberately - so I no longer mail out keys to pens.

If you want someone to be able to use the key - keep the key on the same server.

If you don't have a merchant on site (the best way) you can put the key in a boat or other vehicle and give the person access permissions, that way, when they arrive on the server any time 24/7, they can pick up the key from the boat/vehicle and then go to the horse pen on the same server.  You can also use gate access permissions to give them direct access to the pen, but in order to control this remotely, be sure to name all your gates individually.

Edited by Muse

With respect to selling horses, I guess I can just do the mail a woodscrap out for the price and when received give them gate permissions, though with mail not saying where payments come from when they come in it kind of limits you from knowing who paid for what, in order to know that a specific one is paid for. It's a lot messier than just mailing out a key. There is an on deed merchant selling the keys, but in this instance it was as a result of reserving a horse for somebody just as I was going offline and thus mailing the key to them so that it couldn't be sold off merchant before they got there, but this is all getting a bit off track from being bug related so....

From the testing I did, it appears to be specific to the key being mailed inter server, not just leaving the server and being transferred to somebody while its over there. 

If this has been a thing for some time, perhaps could be added to the known issues, if it's a returning bug, fingers crossed it can get nailed down again :)

Assuming you have an on-deed mailbox, a workaround should you have other remote buyers could be to ask them check mail  at your mailbox, not theirs. Does mean they’d need to hold off on other mail, but at least the key won’t be mailed across servers.

Edited by Calan

49 minutes ago, Calan said:

Assuming you have an on-deed mailbox, a workaround should you have other remote buyers could be to ask them check mail  at your mailbox, not theirs. Does mean they’d need to hold off on other mail, but at least the key won’t be mailed across servers.

You cant pick the server to receive mail, it goes straight to the server you are on at the time it was sent so its not just a matter of sailing over and collecting. If you were to try that it would say you have no mail because its only receivable on the previous server.

8 hours ago, SmeJack said:

You cant pick the server to receive mail, it goes straight to the server you are on at the time it was sent so its not just a matter of sailing over and collecting. If you were to try that it would say you have no mail because its only receivable on the previous server.

Oops, didn’t realise that. 😕