Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Quality loss when distilling

I just recognized that my distilled brandy gets a ql penalty. My beverages skill at the time of creating the undistilled liquid was 70.59 (now 70.58) hence the undistilled brandy is ql70.59.

When distilling, the brandy in the condenser is ql 64.80. This seems to be an average, as I observed small fractions of up to ql69, but not more. Still ql does not seem to have an influence on the outcome. At start of the distillation the lowest ql still was 70.20, the highest 73.24, but the outcome was invariably 64.80 ql in all 4 stills. It did not change when I imped one of the stills to ql83.

Is this  a bug, RNG (which some consider a bug in itself 😎) , or intended behaviour? Which other variables may influence the output ql?

Edited by Ekcin

On 3/21/2021 at 12:07 PM, Ekcin said:

I just recognized that my distilled brandy gets a ql penalty. My beverages skill at the time of creating the undistilled liquid was 70.59 (now 70.58) hence the undistilled brandy is ql70.59.

When distilling, the brandy in the condenser is ql 64.80. This seems to be an average, as I observed small fractions of up to ql69, but not more. Still ql does not seem to have an influence on the outcome. At start of the distillation the lowest ql still was 70.20, the highest 73.24, but the outcome was invariably 64.80 ql in all 4 stills. It did not change when I imped one of the stills to ql83.

Is this  a bug, RNG (which some consider a bug in itself 😎) , or intended behaviour? Which other variables may influence the output ql?

just like when you 'cook' food, distilling is a check that is compared against your beverages skill and the quality of the alcohol. the higher quality the alcohol is, the harder it is to hit at maximum quality.

still quality does next to nothing, the only thing that will help the quality of the brandy is A. higher quality undistilled or B. higher beverages skill. as you hit higher qualities, it will be ever the harder to hit the same quality you started with (i.e 90q undistilled will drop a lot)

you could sit there and watch it distill and empty it into a different container when you get a maximum quality drop, but otherwise it will be averaged out. EVERY single .01kg of liquid is checked against the difficulty for a new quality roll, so it will always be extremely variable.

Edited by RainRain