Sign in to follow this  
Sidereal

Saved every coin on the way to 70 prayer

I heard a rumor ages ago that someone saved every coin earned in prayer and that when the containers holding them finally decayed, the avalanche of coins re-entering the world crashed the server.

Now I have no idea whether or not that story is true, but wondered how many coins that would be - so I decided to save every single coin Vynora tucked into the pockets of my priestess on the way to 70 skill in prayer.  And apparently the answer is: 12,086 iron coins.

Went from 0-66 under the old prayer rules and was a little sad to go the rest of the way to 70 so quickly - missed out on more coins, but at least I know for a fact this is probably the absolute worst way to earn silver in Wurm.  So now the question becomes: what on earth should I do with all these iron coins?  Seems like a waste to just put them in the bank at this point. 🙃

Screenshot for posterity:

Spoiler

hztZ35D.jpg

• Like 4

Name them all a unique name and scatter them across the server. Host the largest treasure hunt Wurm has seen. Then give another iron coin to every person who finds one.

Or just let them sit there and see what happens. 😛 

9 hours ago, Sidereal said:

I heard a rumor ages ago that someone saved every coin earned in prayer and that when the containers holding them finally decayed, the avalanche of coins re-entering the world crashed the server.

it didnt crash the server, it crashed anyone that tried to look at them.  gms had to individually remove coins from their inventory for a very long time before it was safe again, pretty sure it was emoo so he could tell it better but thats what i recall

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 11:30 PM, MrGARY said:

it didnt crash the server, it crashed anyone that tried to look at them.  gms had to individually remove coins from their inventory for a very long time before it was safe again, pretty sure it was emoo so he could tell it better but thats what i recall

Ahhhh!  That's wild that it was true-ish, but slightly deformed in the retelling.  Now that you put it that way, I remember back in the Really Old Days that the renderer had problems with a few thousand objects in view?  I remember a release a long time ago (2013?) that allowed it to handle tens of thousands of objects.  Now I'm wondering if that event set the foundation for that update...?

Regardless - thanks for confirmation of the rumor and the trip down memory lane!

On 3/20/2021 at 7:48 PM, Nordlys said:

Name them all a unique name and scatter them across the server. Host the largest treasure hunt Wurm has seen. Then give another iron coin to every person who finds one.

You've given me the spark of an idea, Nordlys - it'll take a bit of time to prep, but I'll announce it once the preparations are complete.  Thank you for the inspiration!

• Like 1