Sign in to follow this  
Joemog

Simplify and Clarify Combat

I’m sure the new combat overhaul made everybody think about what they would actually want to have. Before getting any fancy stuff, I suggest fixing the basics by:

-        Simplifying: Remove unnecessary or needlessly complicated features

-        Clarifying: Display more numbers of what things do

Some of the mechanics that seem to unnecessarily complicate the game: Auto block, combat rounds, weight affecting parrying, alcohol for fighting and many more that most people don’t know about.

Another mechanic that sounds neat but has issues in practice is positioning in melee pvp (as in standing behind someone). It doesn’t work in practice as server delay, ping and desync make everyone have a very different view of the battle. For example, when chasing someone both players will think they are ahead. One of Wurms greatest strengths is to be able to play with people all over the world.

Combat stats should be displayed in the character screen. The single most important thing in Wurm is to watch progress as your character skills up. Having vague displays isn’t immersive as it just makes players having to seek out this data outside the game. Often, they will even find wrong numbers considering how complicated systems and spread-out information is. You want to see the damage difference easily when improving your weapon 5 quality. Attack speed, dodge chance, block chance, damage per hit and so on. How much damage your body strength gives you. Same goes for display by looking at weapons, shields, tell us exactly what they do and with a number.

There’s no reason to display a line of text when the number would give actual more info such as this:

CZzbk5Q.png   2LXify8.png

Currently there is a lot of information missing from combat and clearing up some of these mechanics should result in

-        More meaningful player decisions

-        More noticeable character progression

-        Much more accessible for players

Some more conceptual pictures:

2G0Heea.png

9cYasRI.png

Edited by Joemog
  • Like 13

Im not sure if i want to simplify all things in Wurm, i don't love simple games, but as they want exist combat text above creature, it must be useful at least and we have to add readability to let it be. My vision of it I've described here
 Patch Notes 11/MAR/21 - Website News - Wurm Online Forum

On 3/11/2021 at 9:41 PM, Nelsy said:

It would be much better to see floating numbers of damage output. I don't really want see which part of body I've hit, but it can be mentioned by small icon near damage number. Also I don't want to know which monster I hit because it too obvious what is his name. Also maybe we can use different colors for different wound damage amount, and use some icon of wound type made. If your attack get glanced or blocked don't need to popup whole message as it in combat log, just little message "block" or "glance" are enough. These small change will make it pretty and useful.

Edited by Nelsy

bah numbers, even worse floating numbers. -1

15 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I suppose you dislike staring at the skill tree too then?

14 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

So you prefer even larger, useless lines of floating text?

Numbers are clear and concise. 

Thankfully for either one, the option to toggle exists.

I made some more ugly pics since people only comment on the picture part lol

@Sinduskhad an amazing mod written for displaying extremely valuable information regarding weapon stats based on your current skills and stuff, and im sure a bunch of other great stuff

+1 for providing valuable information on weapons etc , +1 for a damage indicator whether it be above head and in combat log (with a toggle for hud damage display)

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2

you mean you guys don't love just guessing and the supreme amount of misinformation

1 minute ago, Olloch said:

you mean you guys don't love just guessing and the supreme amount of misinformation

Its basically like we see some kind of arbituary number only that the code uses and the actualy numbers humans could use are hidden

Edited by Joemog
  • Like 1

I like the player positioning mechanic, and the complexity.
Not knowing all the hidden attributes has some small positives but overall you don't feel or see progress, sure you see your skills go up, but what are the real effects, or the effects of that bangin pvp crowbar you just spend days crafting and enchanting? NFI, no one does completely = less satisfaction.
+1

Edited by Omar
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Olloch said:

Hah. Made me chuckle. 

For real though, please both crowds. You don't want floating numbers? Add an option to disable that stuff like how the screen shakes when you get hit in combat now. I thought I had brain damage first time i saw that stuff. Made me want to throw up. 

For those who want to see floating numbers and actual reliable info, have the the box to check it and done. Boom. 

I really hoped the combat update would clarify some of the more occult systems in wurm. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, elentari said:

I really hoped the combat update would clarify some of the more occult systems in wurm. 

Really? 😂 

Hope is dead; long live hope!!

More optional numerical-transparency, please! Some of us *really* enjoy optimising our numbers.

Big +1. This should have been added long time ago. Let us finally see the stats and if someone doesn't like them, let them turn them off. Wurm has enough of so called "mystery" backed by "reliable" wurmpedia already.

• Like 1

lol what Wurm has now since the update, is a hilariously long line above the monster you're attacking " YOUR ATTACK GLANCES OF BLABLABLA" 

Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? who wants to read extremely long combat lines while trying to focus on combat?  At least peak at other (online)  games and how they do it much more efficiently.

What we have currently reminds of games way back in the days, and this was an update in 2021 .... God help us ( and the future of wurm ) 🤣

• Like 1

I'm gonna bhump this and ask for less textwall in any combat feedback situation and just give us more numbers.

And if we do have to suffer through textwall feedback, at least give us the option to customize said feedback. 

For example, enter Wurm - Settings > Customize combat feedback > Replace "Your attack glances of <insert opponent> " to whatever we want to write. I would personally write "Your attack glances."

Another example: "You hit <insert opponent> deadly hard in the <insert body part> and <insert damage output>. " I would change that to "Deadly hard hit to <insert opponent> (skip body part) and <insert damage output>. 

Practical situation:

1. Your attack glances.

2. You evade.

3. You miss.

4. Deadly hard hit to aged troll and harm it.

5. Aged troll hits deadly hard and harms you.

6. Deadly hard hit to aged troll and it's dead.

Less textwall, easier to follow.

Either that or please let us have our damage numbers displayed in combat instead of reading novels of text.

cover2.jpg

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

Although it's kinda tradition to not give us statistics like this, I would very much enjoy it.

MZsUPB1.png

Edited by Antony
fixed image
  • Like 2

whatever you do, enabling auto fight should result in your avatar moving one monster to another on itself and performing all combat functions that include stances, special moves, targeting/defending, healing himself etc. End of the day thats what 'Auto fight' means - fully automated combat 💁‍♂️

Edited by Skatyna

51 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

whatever you do, enabling auto fight should result in your avatar moving one monster to another on itself and performing all combat functions that include stances, special moves, targeting/defending, healing himself etc. End of the day thats what 'Auto fight' means - fully automated combat 💁‍♂️

I agee with most of what you suggest except : - Auto-healing and auto-moving.

Those 2 belong to shitty mobile MMO auto-walk games with auto-walk/auto-quest/auto-eveything  and not on wurm.

• Like 1