Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: Ready your weapons!

valrei_combat.png

Hello, Wurmians, and welcome to another Valrei International! I'd like to start off this one by thanking everyone who has reached out to me with congratulations and well wishes. I am very excited to be working with the team and the community in this role, and I have been working on ideas for fun community events and interactions (once I'm all settled in, of course!) This issue is a bit light on the content development side of things, but by the next issue I should have some more news to share with you all!

Ready Your Weapons!

After some public testing, our new combat update is now live! Fighting will be more interactive than ever, with the ability to choose separate offensive and defensive stances and some new visual clues on how the fight is progressing. Some of the bigger visual changes such as floating text and screen shaking are optional, so if they're not your cup of tea that's okay! We will continue tweaking things for a while to get it just right, and plan to reduce randomness in combat. We are also working on making archery more comfortable, and useful on PvE as well as PvP. To see all of the changes in the update, check out the patch notes below!

Achievements Unlocked!

Also live with this update is the new achievement system! These will be available both in Steam and in-game. There are 80 achievements to earn, all accompanied by some fancy new icons. They can be found in-game by navigating to the main menu and clicking the new "Goals" button.

achievements.png

Community Event - Easter Impalong

easterbunny.jpg
Easter Bunny is resting up to prepare for the upcoming festivities

On Deliverance in the Southern Isles, a beautiful deed has been built especially for hosting community events throughout the year. I'm very excited to share the news of its Grand Opening Impalong scheduled for Easter weekend! From April 2nd (Good Friday) 18:00 CET / 12pm EST until Easter Sunday April 4th 22:00 CET / 4pm EST. I'm sure it'll be a hoppin' good time, with lots of eggcellent festivities. Check out the details on the post below!

Our team is growing!

And last but not least, I'd like to announce that we have a new contracted developer on the team! They have been working hard in the code basement but are still getting settled in, and asked for just a brief announcement at this time while they adjust to the new role.

That's it for this issue of the Valrei International. See you in two weeks for the next! Until then, keep on Wurming :)

• Like 29

Happy to hear the team is growing!

Wish I could play my SFI account on Steam ...

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 3

Could we get warhammers on freedumb or just remove the dumb skill?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

Remove freedom!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

Replace with glassworks or taxidermy please.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Lycanthropic said:

Replace with taxidermy please.

+1

• Like 1

Hmm I think i'll finally leave my deed and go hunting now 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Ready Your Weapons!

We will continue tweaking things for a while to get it just right, and plan to make combat not so random. We are also working on making archery more comfortable, and useful on PvE as well as PvP. To see all of the changes in the update, check out the patch notes below!

Could you clarify; is there plans to adjust combat further in an effort to make it less random? Streamlining combat encounters, in a way?

Also, is there any chance dual wielding could be looked at as well? 

4 hours ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Our team is growing!

And last but not least, I'd like to announce that we have a new contracted developer on the team! They have been working hard in the code basement but are still getting settled in, and asked for just a brief announcement at this time while they adjust to the new role.

Best piece of news here, I'd say.

Once acquainted and settled, it'd be awesome to know a little about them as well as what they'll be focused working on!

• Like 2

Welcome again to your new role!

Great news having a new developer even if that shy :P

Thanks devs to make it possible to switch off some visuals of the new combat - one idea is to perhaps add a setting to make it possible to finetune the amount of screen shake on incoming hits. The current go-live shake seems quite big and as I remember it was more subtle when I tested it on the test server...

• Like 2

astronomy, more clothing types, more toys for toymaking pls :)

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 3:09 PM, Synjor said:

Could you clarify; is there plans to adjust combat further in an effort to make it less random? Streamlining combat encounters, in a way?

Also, is there any chance dual wielding could be looked at as well?

We'd like to reduce the randomness in hits and parries, and glances. With dual wielding, we are aware that it's not ideal. No promises, but we will take a look to see if we can make some improvements to that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

We'd like to reduce the randomness in hits and parries, and glances

venom in pvp died for this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonaNightshade said:

We'd like to reduce the randomness in hits and parries, and glances. With dual wielding, we are aware that it's not ideal. No promises, but we will take a look to see if we can make some improvements to that.

if dual wielding gets some weird tweak, given info @RainRaindropped in another thread it's pretty likely duel sickles will become even more funnily balanced than they already are

at least enable metal staffs to crit

So um...like how about enabling warhammers for 90% of wurm's pop...ya know...combat overhaul and all? Orrrr we could call it the combat overhaul that wasn't and go back to call it long over due bug fixes ^_^

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

Our team is growing!

That's it for this issue of the Valrei International. See you in two weeks for the next! Until then, keep on Wurming :)

this one is actually sick though

hope to hear more

9 hours ago, Madnath said:

if dual wielding gets some weird tweak, given info @RainRaindropped in another thread it's pretty likely duel sickles will become even more funnily balanced than they already are

at least enable metal staffs to crit

Dual wielding is kinda weird. The current system was implemented ages ago in like 2010 as a response to shields being trash (due to other reasons) and dual wielding kinda being good; the only change really was that dual wielding had the 'warm up' period added plus some funkiness with parry stuff

it seems to me that dual wielding was always meant to be a combat style (given the code introduced for parrying mechanics when dual wielding), but was shelved off and forgotten as per a lot of things rolf-style, but if it's introduced as a combat style, you really do need to look at 2h weapons as well.

Assuming the two styles deal the same dps (which currently, dual wield deals more DPS with sickles vs huge axe- two comparable, low-parry weapons. in fact, a single sickle deals the same dps as a huge axe if you don't consider attack speed bonuses from agg style/enchants/etc lol, but realistically you will always be in agg stance), and we ignore the warmup period, dual wielding is superior in pvp for a few reasons
1. swing time: because of how combat works- you can exit combat as soon as you swing by timing how fast you're running away from someone in order. this means weapons that have a small swing timer can, in theory, constantly attack someone using a longer swing weapon and never be attacked in return- this is particularly true when horseback vs someone who is not horseback

2. impact of glances: while, technically speaking, glance reduces the effectiveness of both weapons equally- this isn't true in practice. A single glance will have a proportionally much higher impact on slow speed weapons than on high speed - again, due to swing timer, but also because of the negative effects of a large wound being dealt (debuffs etc). Yes, for extremely long combats this isn't very relevant as you'll be making enough attacks where it doesn't matter, but in play this can be huge in pvp.
3. dealing multiple smaller wounds is better vs magical healing than singular small wounds due to how healing works (not true for bandaging, but thats not very relevant in pvp and not at all in pve)

so i'd highly suggest against making dual wielding viable alone, and instead if you guys plan to do that, do it as part of an overall project to look at the different combat styles (shield+weapon, 2h, dual wield), and determine what the pros/cons of each style should be, instead of just buffing dual wield and accidently make it always better than 2h

also, nerf sickles already. a 1h weapon shouldn't be tied for the best dps in the game alongside other 2h weapons, and no the cr penalty isn't enough (reason: The more cr you and your enemy have, the less each individual cr buff/penalty means. Early game, when that -2 cr penalty is half your CR, you're reducing your hit chance by half. Later game, when you're reliably going to have around 20-30 CR going into combat (and so will your enemies), a difference of 2 cr is a few percentage points in hit chance (if we take 20 cr, then 18/40 hit chance is 45% as opposed to 50% if not using sickles. 30 cr is 46% as opposed to 50%, etc. and that's not including how wild % cr bonuses make this math)

1 hour ago, Pingpong said:

So um...like how about enabling warhammers for 90% of wurm's pop...ya know...combat overhaul and all? Orrrr we could call it the combat overhaul that wasn't and go back to call it long over due bug fixes ^_^

pretty sure the entire point of warhammer being its own skill is to have an artifact that needs to be trained on its own, rather than being able to grind it on a different weapon. so, no- don't add a warhammer to train with lol

also this isn't a combat overhaul, it's like a minor touch up

Edited by RainRain
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

Would be nice, if finally it could be a developer for all the small things, players suggesting, that could bring a lot of quality of life in our gameplay, but cannot be introduced couse devs are busy with bigger projects.

Is anyone taking bets? If so I bet 10s on Malena. ;)

4 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Is anyone taking bets? If so I bet 10s on Malena. ;)

Isnt she already on the team`?

58 minutes ago, Maiya said:

Isnt she already on the team`?

Well we do have unpayed and payed devs, now it is a contracted (payed?) one as I understood it.

I think Malena was in the volounteer team?

So making aiming and defending super important actually makes group PVP a lot worse. Also it feels a lot more random. Numbers mean more now, and they already meant like everything before, particularly places like Defiance where there's not even impactful meditation paths or any way for individuals to stand out much.

Please fix this for pvp and fighting multiple enemies!

• Like 1

Welcome to the team!  Would love to see glass and more furniture added to the mix.