Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 11/MAR/21

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Mclavin said:

 

Please disable!!!!

Thats for shield blocking better vs group. Removing that would just make ganking even worse. They need to remove the whole defending thing for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Joemog said:

They need to remove the whole defending thing for it.

any reason why it should be removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

any reason why it should be removed

It completely changes balance of group fights without any thoughts behind. Ganking is a lot more powerful now where numbers already determines too much.

 

There's not even any support for group fights - you can only see in the UI where your own target is aiming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Joemog said:

It completely changes balance of group fights without any thoughts behind. Ganking is a lot more powerful now where numbers already determines too much.

 

There's not even any support for group fights - you can only see in the UI where your own target is aiming.

i hate to break it to you but before this update you could block in directions and it'd make you harder to hit, it just added a little ui prompt thing for it, and from my testing the change isn't as massive as the patch notes make it out to be. Being able to defend and attack different regions is beneficial for the person getting ganked as they don't have to sacrifice dps to try and keep themselves alive by blocking in a direction with the new change. ganking isn't as effective anymore as all shields are basically the scale of lib now with the reduced restrictions on blocks/combat round, but ya know if you've got multiple people attacking you, maybe you were just meant to die?

 

all in all this patch decently increased how long the average person survives in pvp (in the last few fights i've been in people have been running out of stamina because they block so often now lol), if you're dying to groups of people more often than normal try not walking into groups of people so often

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

i hate to break it to you but before this update you could block in directions and it'd make you harder to hit, it just added a little ui prompt thing for it, and from my testing the change isn't as massive as the patch notes make it out to be. Being able to defend and attack different regions is beneficial for the person getting ganked as they don't have to sacrifice dps to try and keep themselves alive by blocking in a direction with the new change. ganking isn't as effective anymore as all shields are basically the scale of lib now with the reduced restrictions on blocks/combat round, but ya know if you've got multiple people attacking you, maybe you were just meant to die?

 

all in all this patch decently increased how long the average person survives in pvp (in the last few fights i've been in people have been running out of stamina because they block so often now lol), if you're dying to groups of people more often than normal try not walking into groups of people so often

They changed defending to be key to winning a fight and you completely ignored the part where it isnt even UI supported.

I tested aiming wrong vs someone aiming and defending correct and it massively changes outcomes of 1v1s.

This patch massively buffed shields vs 2 handers

Just remove all the new stuff from PVP group fights and maybe do some changes that actually keep gameplay in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joemog said:

They changed defending to be key to winning a fight and you completely ignored the part where it isnt even UI supported.

it wasn't ui supported in the past and it's not very supported now so it's not much difference. you can always just look at how the enemy is holding their weapon to see where they're aiming though

1 minute ago, Joemog said:

I tested aiming wrong vs someone aiming and defending correct and it massively changes outcomes of 1v1s.

same as in the past, go and test it in wu and you'll see aiming and defending wrong is massive in 1v1's there too and you'll get the same results

1 minute ago, Joemog said:

This patch massively buffed shields vs 2 handers

which is a nerf to larger number ganks as people who aren't being targeted use 2 handers. it's a buff against slow swing speed anyway, sickles and staves will still break through shields no problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they didn't change any of the numbers for aiming and defending at all? Based on what?

They literally said in patch notes they made it key to winning a fight now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was always key to winning a fight, most people just brute force pve content because it's not very interesting and very few people actually did any of the proper targeting and stuff for pvp. i didn't say they didn't change the numbers, i said it's about the same as it's always been. comparing my logs of hours of fighting with proper aiming and such vs previous logs of proper aiming (against people who most likely weren't using the aimed defence at the time) and WU simulated combat there's very little difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You couldnt even both aim and defend before so saying it's the same makes no sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oblivion is most likely correct here (haven't played since patch, so don't have in-game experience). I did the numbers a long time ago back in WU and determined that defending in a direction was vastly superior for defense. If you correctly defended, you'd hardly ever get hit assuming decent skill. I did several 1v1 fights in WO recently where I only had about 50 shield skill and a 50-70QL shield, yet it still makes such a difference that you basically never get hit. I even streamed a duel against Archibelle where I hit them 13 times and they hit me 2 times, since I would constantly just defend the direction they were attacking me. The difference is absolutely massive.

 

The problem with that type of system in group combat is that there's simply too many other things going on to make it a logical part of the combat process. It's important to pay attention to where your allies are. It's important to pay attention to where your enemies are. You need to be aware of where everyone is moving and what the current goal is, who the targets are, what's being cast, and more. To have a mini-game inside of all of that where you also must pay attention to where all of your opponents are aiming and be required to optimally defend against them is simply overkill.

 

Combat in a group should be engaging and tactical, not tedious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone I've talked to also get hit a ton more by mobs if they don't defend correctly, I'm sure they made it more impactful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joemog said:

Everyone I've talked to also get hit a ton more by mobs if they don't defend correctly, I'm sure they made it more impactful.

 

Without clarification via patch notes there's no way to know what happened. And when it comes to risking gear in combat on PvP servers, not knowing what changed is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Oblivion is most likely correct here (haven't played since patch, so don't have in-game experience). I did the numbers a long time ago back in WU and determined that defending in a direction was vastly superior for defense. If you correctly defended, you'd hardly ever get hit assuming decent skill. I did several 1v1 fights in WO recently where I only had about 50 shield skill and a 50-70QL shield, yet it still makes such a difference that you basically never get hit. I even streamed a duel against Archibelle where I hit them 13 times and they hit me 2 times, since I would constantly just defend the direction they were attacking me. The difference is absolutely massive.

 

The problem with that type of system in group combat is that there's simply too many other things going on to make it a logical part of the combat process. It's important to pay attention to where your allies are. It's important to pay attention to where your enemies are. You need to be aware of where everyone is moving and what the current goal is, who the targets are, what's being cast, and more. To have a mini-game inside of all of that where you also must pay attention to where all of your opponents are aiming and be required to optimally defend against them is simply overkill.

 

Combat in a group should be engaging and tactical, not tedious.


yea defending in a direction was always superior to aiming in a direction (minus with no-parry weapons/2h)
not only does it give a reduction in parry time, it also gives a hit-chance penalty (which in turn makes it easier to parry and block, and also makes the enemy miss more often)
never saw any mention of making it more impactful, the impact is probably just more noticeable now that you can aim in a direction AND defend

Edited by RainRain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this