Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 11/MAR/21

Someone give me an idea of how much of a penalty using autofight will be over the new "lots of clicking" system?  I've been taking a break from Wurm to give my overused joints a break (getting some Wurm-thritis and my joints hurt) and this is not encouraging.

Edited by Wurmhole

Autofight always switches fighting style to agressive, even when using sword + shield. Not usable that way!

Edited by Bekador

Yay, twitch combat in Wurm... Not. Maybe it is just my internet lag, but the new system is less then enjoyable for me. I'm spending all my time trying to block the quickly changing attacks and getting pretty beat up in the process, all while attempting to get a shot in myself. Focus and special moves? Never gonna happen for me :( . An adolescents spider took me down 25% and took a min or 2 to fight. Ugh. Granted I only have 70FS wearing enchanted 70QL plate so maybe that's the reason. It's possible the revamp is for bored high-end players or pvpers and not me. Anyway, after a morning having to dodge low end mobs, my adventuring days may be over it seems.

• Like 2

70 FS and plate?  A baby spider?  I'm never leaving my deed, if I ever log in again at all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

70 FS and plate?  A baby spider?  I'm never leaving my deed, if I ever log in again at all.

I suspect it might be my lag? Thing is, they changed it so unless you react immediately to the attack and block you get hammered. Not lag friendly at all :(

Edited by SirMuttley
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DevBlog said:
  • Bugfix: Horses will no longer turn to face north when unhitched.

One of my unicorns that was on a south facing cart just lost taming and unhitched facing north. The other one went untame sometime before the patch but that one dropped off facing south.

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Hm, I tested only a bit, but must say that I like the changes. Ok, the shaking screen, maybe I shall turn it off during rifts or so. Granted, my FS is slightly higher (94), and maybe my studded too (freshly re-imped), but I fought against a scorp and 2 trolls at a time, and did not take any damage my LT sickle did not remove immediately. I did not get hammered by any of the 3 attackers though I could only deal with one at a time.

Generally the feeling of the new mechanics is smooth, the on screen texts are unobtrusive and intuitive. I don't think that I shall switch them off. The boost of archery is impressive. I hope it will not be re-nerfed, at least not too much.

• Like 1

Well, i'm not speaking for anyone but myself here, but i must say that they were pretty long patch notes and there wasn't a single thing i cared much about, pretty disappointing for me considering how often we get any changes nowadays.
I just hope that it doesn't make killing mobs without dying too much of a chore.
i will provide more specific feedback after i can even find a single aggressive mob around harmony bay, lol.

Edited by Davih

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Hm, I tested only a bit, but must say that I like the changes. Ok, the shaking screen, maybe I shall turn it off during rifts or so. Granted, my FS is slightly higher (94), and maybe my studded too (freshly re-imped), but I fought against a scorp and 2 trolls at a time, and did not take any damage my LT sickle did not remove immediately. I did not get hammered by any of the 3 attackers though I could only deal with one at a time.

Generally the feeling of the new mechanics is smooth, the on screen texts are unobtrusive and intuitive. I don't think that I shall switch them off. The boost of archery is impressive. I hope it will not be re-nerfed, at least not too much.

That is good to hear. Maybe it is just lag on my end then. In my case, the mob would attack a direction and I would play the mini game and hit the block button like I am supposed to.. then it would hit me back and change direction on the next turn, rinse and repeat. I barely got the opportunity to do anything other than get hit on several mobs across about an hour or so of running around. It's possible this change just isn't "for me" and my internet. 

Edit: I'll give it a few more days to see if my internet changes but if not I'll move on to another game or WU. Bummer cause I am in the process of setting up a nice little place on Deli.

Edit2: So I ran around for a bit and this evening seems much better timing wise, so the horrid experience this morning must have been lag. That said, fighting is certainly is more "work" and not something I will look forward to in the future.

Edited by SirMuttley

Overall I'm kind of liking the new updates. I find I'm actually using my shield more which is good since I decided to grind that skill for a bit. I'm not noticing any real change in what I can and cannot hit. As for the screen shaking when hit... I kind of like that aspect as it makes me more aware of how often I'm hit.

I did notice though that during archery the bow is raised long after the shot is fired and sadly there is still no sound effect for the bow string breaking.

• Like 1

Not really noticed anything new or different when fighting monsters in terms of difficulty.  Can still just sit back and focus now and again while my char attacks.  Not getting any more damage then I used to.

I know that this is just an overlay more then anything.  Cause it already told you before in the chat log what direction the monster was attacking in.  I never paid any attention really to it back then.  And I won't now either.  BTW - I am not in Auto Attack mode either.

Meh - Does not really change anything on my end.  Could be good knowing if a monster is too powerful for me with the little coloured icons but yeah, not much different then normal.

(My skills: 72 FS - 44 Huge Axe - I've got AOSP on all my Iron/Steel Armour - All Armour around 70 ql - Some below it - Huge Iron Axe is 86 QL with 99 LT - If any of that makes a difference 🤔 )

thanks for the work you put into the combat overhaul, but tbh i expected more. 

I thought after the rework the swinging animation for spear fight gets replaced with a proper trusting move into the head.

Also i thought knife fight and dual wield will get some love. 

Only some basic fight stuff got improved, what is good, but ye...

• Like 1

I expected a lot more of this patch and I am dissapointed with it.

But some notes:

-When I use a special move and it fails or it succeeds I don't really see anything happen. maybe add a line of text saying that it missed or succeeded.

It does in the combat log, but I'm trying to play without the log now.

-The focus button always shows as active yet for the first +-30 seconds of the fight it doesn't do anything when you press it. The "You need to get into the fight more first." doesn't show on the screen as far as I could see.

-Please change those long lines of text into icons or shorter lines, I know where I am aiming at because I clicked the button so it doesn't has to repeat that to me, and the pulsing shield icons tell me where it's hitting me so the text doesn't has to tell me about  that either. Just add lines like "Hit", "Miss", "Blocked", "Evaded", "Critical Hit!". Or something like that. I'm not that fast of a reader so I can't read em anyway and I already have to look at other stuff on my screen now.

Edited by Timoca

[08:00:36] You need to get into the fight more first.  

1.Why is this still a thing, why can we not just focus up at the start of a fight?!

2. Hitting a mob with an axe did stun dmg, which was cute, but stunning a mob for 1s~ is not even remotely useful in pve. Why is this even in game? 5s would be much more useful.
3. Why is my screen shaking for taking wounds that deal LESS then 1 dmg? Talk about no threshold.. (same would go for hits that remove levels of focus)

Bugfix: Ritual of the sun will now only repair things in the deity’s domain

I have an off deed house and fences; we did a rite of the sun yesterday (after the update) and nothing got repaired even though it is all in influence of Magranon.

Been playing with the new combat system for 4 hours+  now on just creatures so far.
I need more time testing it before I can give to much feedback but here are somethings id like to go through:

Yes as many have said, try think of a better way to display the extremly long text over the monsters from instead of "Venerable Greenish Crocodile bites you extremly hard in the right hand and hurts it" .
Now this is hard, first thing we can do is remove the name of the target and only call it target or nothing at all with exception for players in pvp where names are very important still.
The next part in order to make the text shorter is abit more difficult, the strength of a hit is displayed in wurm by "Hits you extremly hard" or "Claws you deadly hard" these can be some long combinations, maybe its time to make a new dmg system for wurm?
Either its time to show dmg for what it truly is or give atleast an estimate of the number who would be displayed on screen like "You take 17 dmg to your chest" (this will reflect the actual wound dmg, so medium wound of 17 dmg not the true dmg). The combat log can still display the exact dmg type and all that if its still interesting to see.

Incase of magical dmg or extra dmg from enchants display the magic dmg right after the initial dmg of the hit such as:
"You take 17 dmg to your chest"/"The Target takes 17 dmg to the chest"(Physical hit/ranged)
"You take 3 extra dmg to your chest"/ "The Target takes 3 extra dmg to the chest" (burn wound or frost etc will be written as extra)
"You take 10 magical dmg to your head"/ "The Target takes 10 magical dmg to the head" (spells from priests or magical creatures)

As with shields I like the new interaction of more buttons, I cant say if I get hit more now if I dont use it as I havent noticed much of a diffrence so far, but for those who do not like or cant react as fast maybe keep the blocking the same as before and only make it as more of a bonus if you interact rather then punishment if you dont. (this might already be the case if so nothing to change!)

Im very happy to see changes overall to the combat system it was very much needed, while some can argue we expected more, any new content is always welcomed and for that I thank your hard work put into wurm! 

In the future I hope we get more animations such as an animation for special moves maybe 1 animation per weapon type ;) with some flashy effects displaying on screen once you succesfully hit with it.

Edited by Nocturnes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Amaluna said:

Bugfix: Ritual of the sun will now only repair things in the deity’s domain

I have an off deed house and fences; we did a rite of the sun yesterday (after the update) and nothing got repaired even though it is all in influence of Magranon.

Yeah can you please explain this? Should it only work in the area where you get "You feel the presence of Magranon." now, as opposed to also working in places where there was a magranon altar but another domain had presence over it?

If what Amaluna says is true then you need to fix the fix or revert it please.

What part I should protect if monster target my upper parts, then he swtich to center parts and never change it? I suppose that In default position you protect center, but how you back to default if you switch it once?

• Like 4

Also I would like to reduce defence switchin time to 1 second or even half of it, because you encounter alot situations when monster swithing his aim constantly and you just have no time to follow it, before you switch he hit and already start to aim other place while you still switching to his previous state. Also It can be abused in pvp, you would be able to setup your defence only if you predict like god, but if you are human and opponent gonna switch his aim sides constantly and randomly you just physicaly can't follow it and change you defence in time if he uses 3 seconds speed weapon.

• Like 1

so big overhaul means meaningless changes? damn

• Like 1

its a change thanks for your hard work keep it up see you all at the next rift lol : )

On 3/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, Idlamn said:

Yeah can you please explain this? Should it only work in the area where you get "You feel the presence of Magranon." now, as opposed to also working in places where there was a magranon altar but another domain had presence over it?

If what Amaluna says is true then you need to fix the fix or revert it please.

There was an issue that did not come up on the test server but did on live with many more altars, has been fixed for the next update.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, Nelsy said:

Also I would like to reduce defence switchin time to 1 second or even half of it,

It seems monsters can switch stance two or three times faster then I can switch defend location. Also, I can't switch stances in a second or less. I agree here, either the game needs to make my swap timers faster or make the mobs slower.

• Like 1

Some things i noticed while playing around with specials in a dragon fight

- Specials don't recognize that you have more than 20 stamina, with my big boi stamina specials all take under 3% stamina to use, but i can't use specials if i have under 25% stamina for t1/t2 and 50% stamina for t3. this effects other things too, like taming or falling while climbing but they're not as impactful as completely being unable to use specials when i should be able to use them a dozen times with stamina to spare

- Basically any special attacks don't work on uniques. Bleeds don't even show as a wound, all special damage moves don't break the 0.4 damage or so threshold for the wound to actually hit (which majorly limits weapon/enchant choice against uniques as well), cr ones don't work as they're well above 100 cr afaik and being capped to it, so they're still capped to 100 after the - cr ( a % reduction in cr would give it clearer scaling, as - cr quickly drops off with uniques, fighting champions and pvp), and the stun ones only last for like half a second due to all uniques having absurd characteristics, only really leaving the stamina reduction/throw up moves, but mobs don't use stamina either (they probably should), and making a unique throw up reduces their fat layers, which increases their dodge chance, which you don't want? If special moves are supposed to get you thinking about what you're doing in combat, surely they should be useful for the endgame of combat lol

- Uniques don't change from aiming centre if you don't defend in a direction

- after every time a unique was bashed, it would use every single one of its attacks at once the second it got unstunned, often swinging 4-7 times at once. Fine if you've got the scale of lib i guess, but had no problem merking other tanky people

- Basically all combat spells don't work on uniques anymore, not sure when this was changed but you used to be able to cast smite, karma slow, weakness etc on them, now no spells work whatsoever. Smite is the only one that lets you cast, but at the end of the cast it just says "takes no damage

And general observations about combat

- special attack messages go to event, not combat

- The opening yourself to attack message pops up in the middle of your screen, which is "alright i guess" for combat, but annoying when riding around and mobs swing at you as you ride past because reasons. the whole enemies getting a chance for a free swing each time you pass a tile border is a weird mechanic anyway, not sure why that's a thing.

- the defend direction glows to what it thinks you should swap to, even if the mob is targeting someone else in that direction and not currently fighting you.

- Critical hits (at least from truestrike) weren't doing bonus damage

- Mobs don't seem to have a timer for swapping stances that i can tell, they'd often instantly swap to something non-centre after a stun, which should reset them to centre same as players, then they have a timer to swap. Again, swapping back to centre after being stunned is a weird mechanic that makes no sense.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2021 at 2:54 PM, Darklords said:

It is for pvp also currently, if it is an issue in the end it can be disabled for pvp.

Please disable!!!!

Sign in to follow this