Sign in to follow this  
Berms

Animations & Sound Effects

I am NOT asking the wurm devs to create/add totally fresh NEW animations and/or sound, although it is much needed.

All I am asking for is to use /re-use existing elements to make imping/creating/performing actions more fun and less boring and text-based ( eyes glued to event window ).

Example:

You are standing in your house and imping your cloth (armor).

- You see NO animation at all

- No sound at all ( I know its hard in this example, maybe a scissor cutting sound? )

All we are focused on is the event window with the progress bar/timer.

- Smithing

-Why doesn't smithing have any animation?

-Why can't we use the same animation for packing/chopping up wood etc for smithing while standing close to an anvil? That would make it look like you are actually hitting something while smithing! 

Maybe not the best idea since you're using 2 hands with a shovel and 1 hand with smithing but you could simply make it a 1 hand action and shorten the hit range to make it look smoother.

- Mining

You hit 2 times, you hear 1 ticking/mining sounds. why?

Why can't wurm use a sound effect that actually makes a hit-sound when you come down with your pickaxe? this is not that hard or impossible since it is already happening with woodcutting. It looks like someone forgot the mining part and left it there.

- Farming

You rake, you see an animation and hear a soundeffect. Cool.

Why is this left out of harvesting? it does make the same sound but suddenly it is too lazy to actually animate you raking/picking up harvest? again, it looks like a dev once made it and left it there to be forgotten until someone complains about it.

- Archery

Let's say you queue up 3 actions ( 3 shooting actions ) :

- when you start with the first arrow, player doesn't flex it's box and an arrow magically flies over to the target.

- Only with the second arrow, the animation of flexing the bow starts BUT it stops flexing prematurely before timer is over and another arrow magically flies from your top of the head to the archery target leaving you thinking that you don't need bows at all.

Just fart the arrow away :D

- Ships/Sailing

You raise the anchor and start sailing with your , lets say, sailing boat.

You raise the sails and go fast. Then you decide you want to go a bit slower because you are approaching something or simply want to park your boat.

The boat makes the same sound effects as if you're boat is riding through marsh/foliage while there is NO foliage at all in the middle of the ocean ( obviously ).

Either check for water depth before making the sound or simply change/remove this sound effect.

- Firemaking

You grab your steel & flint with a kindling in your bag and start to light the oven/forge and hear a flint hitting to light your forge/oven .cool!

Now you want to do the exact same action to make a campfire but then it suddenly has a brain fart and forgets that you're using the same flint for the same/ similar action.

There is no sound of you hitting any flint and a campfire magically appears.

These 2 actions are exactly the same. Why does a flint make noise on ovens/forge but not when trying to make a campfire? have you ever seen survival shows?

Have you heard the sound it makes to start a fire with a flint :P?

- Milking:

Why on earth do we hear a sound effect AFTER milking and not WHILE milking?

Either make the sound effect longer or simply use another one that can be used just like any other continious existing sound effect (building, foraging, botanizing etc )

- Praying:

Let's start with the positive again.

You actually kneel and pray ( the animation ) ! Great!

Maybe add a very low (human) mumbling/whispering noise (any random language/non-existing language )when someone is praying at an altar?

This example is not something neccessary but would add something nice to the praying part :)

Edited by Berms
shortening the length of text
  • Like 4

What is limiting Wurm from animations? Is it the game engine or the development? Wurm needs to do whatever it takes to get animations in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

For praying we could have Gregorian chanting :) 

I was looking for its name, found it now, thanks ! :D

All this sounds great, but won't get much Dev Time I think, Just more immersive stuff in general, give animals some sounds, I can see my cows moo'ing, but I cannot hear anything! Maybe our characters are deaf?