Sign in to follow this  
Minnie

Hitting Escape key should always remove cursor from text field

When typing in chat, hitting the Escape key removes your cursor from the text field, allowing you to use keybinds again immediately.  For the sake of consistency and usability, Escape should always function this way when the cursor is in a text field (the two most important contexts, in my view, being inventory filtering and the crafting recipe window).

When you’re filtering items in inventory/bsb/crate, or searching recipes in the crafting recipes window, the Escape key currently clears whatever you’ve typed into the text field, but leaves the cursor in the field itself.  If you then try to use a keybind (which I invariably do), you instead end up typing in the text field.  To start using keybinds again, you have to switch to the mouse and click on something in order to get the cursor out of the text field, then go back to the keyboard.  This process is cumbersome, and runs counter to user expectations of how the Escape key will function. 

Hitting Escape should *always* allow you to use keybinds again immediately, eliminating the need to switch from keyboard to mouse and back again. If users need to clear text from a text field, they can do so easily enough with the Delete key (which is a more familiar and therefore more intuitive choice anyway).  Having essentially the same functionality assigned to two separate keys is redundant and unnecessary.  And the fact that Escape produces completely different effects in separate (yet similar) contexts does not make sense from a usability standpoint.

Thanks for all your work, and for considering my suggestion.

• Like 3