Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Wurm, the casual way (2021)

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since my last post and a really bumpy period. At some point I even decided to quit the game and look for greener pastures somewhere else, but since I was not able to find any game even remotely comparable with Wurm, I decided to stick around and now I can say that I'm glad I did. Also, no matter how strange this might sound, I'm also glad that I tried to quit the game and find a replacement - the fact that I failed to find any and that I realized that Wurm is a one-of-a kind game, made me appreciate it even more, like a rare treasured jewel. :)

Another good thing is that I managed to get my playtime under control, right where I wanted it, at between one and two hours per day. I've started the year with 480 hours (20 days) of /playtime and now, two months later, on March 1st I have 558 hours (23.25 day), which means that I averaged about one hour and twenty minutes of playtime per day which is pretty much exactly the amount of time I am comfortable with investing in an online game, so I can say that I managed to find a balance, that I think I finally have a healthy relation with the game and that, generally, I'm in a nice spot right now. :)

And, since I'm happy with the place I'm in right now, I decided once again to start sharing my adventures. As before, I know they're not impressing in any way and that pretty much everyone playing this game seriously is waaay ahead of me, but I still want to do it in order to show other new and casual players, that are just starting out, that they too can find their way and have fun within the Wurm universe, even if they're time constrained and can't afford the luxury of spending hours after hours in an online game. :)

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 7

Some background info and early decisions

1. Being such a complex and awesome game, Wurm can easily become addictive and since I always strive to stay in control of my time and maintain a healthy balance between the different aspects of my life, I decided from very early on that it's very important for me to set some limits for my play time, so I can be sure that I don't let the game interfere with the other parts of my (real) life. I played around with quite a few different time quotas here, but in the end I decided to stick with the one that made most sense to me - play for as long (and only for as long) as I have sleep bonus that I can use, which would probably average to about one hour per day (maybe a bit more if I'll manage to get some CCFP from cooking), with the occasional weekend splurge after a global cast or something, but, anyway, I doubt that I'll ever cross the 60 hours per month mark.

2. As a high-school student, working a part-time job, money are always tight, but I know that time is even a scarcer commodity for me, so I realized that trying to play the game as a F2P player would simply not work for me. I definitely don't say that it is impossible and I got to meet a few people that succeeded in game as F2P players, but in order to achieve that you need to be able to invest a lot of time in the game, much more than I could ever dream to. When I first started I purchased the new player bundle with two months of premium time and five silver coins for €11.99 and I have to say that it is a really well thought deal which I would recommend to anyone, since the five silvers are more than enough to allow you to set your initial deed (presuming you stay within the smaller size), then later one another 20 silver for €21.99 and another three months of premium for €20.49 (in both cases that is the point where you get quite a big volume discount, without actually spending a lot of money). When Black Friday sale came, I made a rather large investment and bought a full year of premium for €47.03 (which had the biggest discount and resulted in a premium cost of less than €4 per month) and another 20 silver coins for €16.49 (again, in order to get the first volume discount, without overspending). So, all in one, I spent a total of €117.99, which is about the cost of two AAA single player game, but I'm now covered with both premium time and deed upkeep 'till the end of this year (and a bit more) and I have absolutely no intention to spend any more money 'till then.

3. Initially, I decided to stick with a small 21x23 (483 tiles) size for my deed, without a guard, since the setup cost was lower than the five silvers which were included in the initial package (exact price was 4s 83c, which included the first three months of upkeep) and the monthly upkeep cost was as close as possible, yet still below the minimum cost of one silver per month (any deed smaller than this would still cost one silver, so there wouldn't be any savings, so  basically no reason for going smaller). Eventually though, my perfect spot, at which I've dreamed since day one, became available (more details about that later) and I simply couldn't let the opportunity pass me, so I overextended "a bit", yet, even so, I made sure that cost for both the premium membership and the deed upkeep stayed bellow €10 per month, which is the average cost of any subscription based MMO.

4. I made sure that I understood (and accepted) that there are a lot of people willing to invest much more in Wurm than me, both in terms of time and money and there's no way I could even dream to compete with them. That's why I decided to not even try to compare myself with anyone else, but just focus on my own place, on my own story and on my own progress, done at a pace that I'm comfortable with, and simply don't care how fast or how slow the other people are progressing. And, if you're a casual player, that's the single most important advice I can give you: hike or you own hike and don't compare yourself with other players, because, comparison really is the thief of joy; and if anyone else tries to tell you how you should play the game, simply tell them to BEEP OFF - it's your time and your money and you can approach the game in any way you want; as long as you're having fun out of it, you're winning it!

My deed

I decided that, despite the many inherent disadvantages, I'd really to have a private island all for myself... ideally one that is neither too big (because I wanted to keep in control both costs and required time to maintain it), neither too small (so I don't have to keep travelling back and forth to the mainland), somehow close to the server edge, with at least some rock layer and, if possible, with some clay tiles. And ever since day one, when I first saw Melody's map I totally fall in love with the small island at K25 - it was everything I could have dreamed and some more, but unfortunately, I was beaten on the land race grab race, so I could only congratulate the owners and keep searching. Eventually I found another place to call home, but my heart was still on that island and I kept checking on it and saving coins hoping that one day it would come on the market and I could afford to buy it. And, surprisingly, one happy day, my prayers were answered, the deed went for sale and I was able to grab it and ever since I'm really living my dream on my own little personal paradise.

If you want to pay me a visit you're more than welcome and I'm always happy to have guests, but if you just want to take a sneak peak, here's the current deed planner export: https://imgur.com/a/0xDQlRL

My play style

While I definitely don't recommend this play style to other people, I decided to set some extra challenges for myself to make the game more interesting and increase immersion. I should probably not even mention the fact that I dropped all the starting tools and started from scratch, since that was represented just a minor delay, but just focus on the two big limitations that I set for myself: to never use any enchants, runes or items that I haven't gathered, crafted and improved myself and to play in a permadeath mode (so if I die other than because of technical reasons, it really is game over for me).

Talking about the distribution of my play time, I realized (only after it became a burden that almost made me quit the game) that they key to make any (meaningful) progress as a casual player with limited play time is to try to minimize the time spent on daily chores as much as possible (so produce only what I actually need, not start hoarding things just for the sake of hoarding) and to not spread my resources too thin, but instead try to focus them on one mini-project at a time (which should be doable in less than a month) and only switch to a new one once the first one is completed. This way I should be able to keep reaching mini goals/milestone on a regular basis, which would give me a constant constant sense of achievement and allow me to build towards bigger projects over time.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2

In order to be able to track any progress, I should probably start by mention where I was starting from, so here's the previous report, from the very last days of the last year.

What I have achieved so far

- Managed to set my deed on the spot that I dreamed at ever since day one

- Built four guard towers on the corners of my deed (and one more on the old deed), so I can keep the predators at bay

- Crafted a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one

- Crafted a set of leather armor and a weapon so I no longer walk around in undergarments

- Built a small shed, with a bed inside, so I can start getting sleep bonus

- Joined a religion (so I can enjoy follower bonuses), made an altar, and leveled my faith to 30

- Started to meditate, joined Path of Love and reached level ten (which means I can both refresh and enchant grass now)

- Got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses), 23 body strength (so I can load items) and 30 mind logic (so I can queue three actions instead of two)

- Also got to 30 body strength so I'll no longer be a leacher if I'll attend any more dragons slayings

- Crafted a small sailing boat, a rowboat and three large carts (one fully equipped with rafts and another one fully equipped with large crates) so I can move freely across the map

- Crafted a corbita and load it with about 30 large crates (so I left space for a BSB, a FSB and a few rafts) so I can carry bulk goods across the map

- Crafted quite a few FSBs and BSBs (about 25 totally), as well as some large crates to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already)

- Crafted a forge (so I can smelt my ores), an oven (so I can cook my meals), two larders (so I can store my food) and three bee hive (to capture the bees from a wild hive found on my deed)

- Crafted a spirit castle and had a friend come over and enchant it

- Found two pairs of wild horses and resumed my horse breeding project

- improved my items as much as I was able to based on my mats ql (that was about 30 ql for wood and cloth items, 20 ql for leather items, 10 ql for stone items and, please don't laugh, 5 ql for iron items) and I plan to improve them all to 30+

Characteristics and relevant skills

Characteristics (all of them):

- Mind: 25.88
--- Mind logic: 32.20
--- Mind speed: 20.59
- Soul: 21.72
--- Soul depth: 25.86
--- Soul strength: 20.45
- Body: 31.10
--- Body strength: 30.22
--- Body stamina: 26.38
--- Body control: 25.92

Skills (all those above 30):

- Climbing: 35.77

- Digging: 81.29

- Masonry: 54.28

- Nature: 47.46

--- Gardening: 42.95

--- Foraging: 50.89

--- Botanizing: 40.13

--- Farming: 36.46
--- Meditating: 61.89
--- Animal husbandry: 42.52

- Fighting: N /A

--- Aggressive fighting: 36.08
- Miscellaneous items: 53.31
--- Shovel: 57.93

--- Repairing: 48.01

- Axes: 36.89

--- Hatchet: 34.25

- Woodcutting: 56.67
- Carpentry: 68.28

--- Fine carpentry: 33.63

--- Ship building: 33.01

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://imgur.com/a/uAfMSAP

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2

MOST RECENT REPORT - March 1st, 2021

And, in comparison, here's the new report from the beginning of this month.

What's new

- Since the meditation goal of 70 skill level was in sight, I decided it was about time to switch to Path of Knowledge, so by the time I'd actually reach that skill level, I'd also be close to level 11 on the path itself and right now I have 68.03 meditation skill and I'm on level 7 on the path itself; since meditation gains are quite random, I still don't know which goal will be reached first, but I would say that things somehow work according to the plan

- Skillwise, while I never chased that, I eventually got my carpentry to skill level 70, only my second skill (after digging) to reach this milestone, which definitely gave me quite a sense of achievement and felt special

- Also skillwise, my main goal was to try to rise my mining skill level to 50+ so I could eventually be able to improve all my metal items to 50+ quality, while also surface mining a corner of the main land shore that is uncomfortably close to my island; and while I'm still not there, neither with the skill gains or with the surface mining project, I definitely made progresses on both of them and I now have a mining skill level of 45.03 (started the year at 23.01)
- Since I had some extra dirt sitting in some crates I decided to expand a bit my island and I managed to raise a few tiles (not too many, but still); it was and it still is (because I haven't exactly made my mind) a hard decision if to try to keep a natural look or to build it like a square, walled in fortress of some sorts, but for now extending it a bit can work with both goals

- I started a sheep breeding project on top of my horse breeding project, but I eventually gave up on it, because I realized that it just takes too much of my time - I'll only keep two pairs and care for them so they don't die and I can return to this project at a later time, but for now it is and it will remain on hold for the foreseeable period, but eventually all this animal farm hobby of mine paid off and I now finally managed to cross skill level 50 in animal husbandry
- Also, talking about animals, I got myself a dog, tamed it and take care and play with it daily ever since (animal taming skill level already at 20+) and I also crafted and populated tow more bee hives, so I now have fine of them; not having blacksmithing at 30 skill level yet means that I don't have a bee smoker yet which is unfortunate, but I'm still happy to have the bee hives and I'm waiting for the days when I'll be able to actually make a good use of them
- At the advice of a smart fellow (@Madnath) I switched my weapon from huge axe to staff - to be honest I'm not entirely convinced it was a smart move (especially since my staff skill was not existing), but I pray for the best - lol

Also, in terms of skill gains milestones, here are the ones worth mentioning:
- Got to skill level 70 in carpentry
- Got to skill level 60 in shovel

- Got to skill level 50 in nature
- Got to skill level 50 in animal husbandry
- Got to skill level 50 in repairing
- Got to skill level 40 in nature
- Got to skill level 40 in pickaxe
- Got to skill level 30 in cloth tailoring

What I have achieved so far

- Managed to set my deed on the spot that I dreamed at ever since day one

- Built four guard towers on the corners of my deed (and one more on the old deed), so I can keep the predators at bay

- Crafted a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one

- Crafted a set of leather armor and a weapon so I no longer walk around in undergarments

- Built a small shed, with a bed inside, so I can start getting sleep bonus

- Joined a religion (so I can enjoy follower bonuses), made an altar, and leveled my faith to 30

- Started to meditate, joined Path of Love and reached level ten, then switched to Path of Knowledge where I'm on level seven right now

- Got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses), 23 body strength (so I can load items) and 30 mind logic (so I can queue three actions instead of two)

- Also got to 30 body strength so I'll no longer be a leacher if I'll attend any more dragons slayings

- Crafted a small sailing boat, a rowboat and three large carts (one fully equipped with rafts and another one fully equipped with large crates) so I can move freely across the map

- Crafted a corbita and load it with about 30 large crates (so I left space for a BSB, a FSB and a few rafts) so I can carry bulk goods across the map

- Crafted quite a few FSBs and BSBs (about 30 totally), as well as some large crates to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already)

- Crafted a forge (so I can smelt my ores), an oven (so I can cook my meals), two larders (so I can store my food) and five bee hive (to capture the bees from a wild hive found on my deed)

- Crafted a spirit castle and had a friend come over and enchant it

- Found two pairs of wild horses and resumed my horse breeding project; also found two pairs of sheep and started a breed project, but eventually put that on the back burner for the time being

- Found a dog, tame it, so I now have a loyal companion to follow me around my deed

- improved my items as much as I was able to based on my mats ql (that was about 30 ql for wood and cloth items, 20 ql for leather items, 10 ql for stone items and, please don't laugh, 5 ql for iron items) and I plan to improve them all to 30+

Characteristics and relevant skills

Characteristics (all of them):

- Mind: 27.62
--- Mind logic: 34.34
--- Mind speed: 20.72
- Soul: 24.19
--- Soul depth: 27.77
--- Soul strength: 22.68
- Body: 33.31
--- Body strength: 31.83
--- Body stamina: 27.97
--- Body control: 26.87

Skills (all those above 30):

- Climbing: 36.84

- Mining: 45.03

- Digging: 82.70

- Tailoring: NA

--- Cloth tailoring: 32.53

- Masonry: 54.65

- Nature: 52.55

--- Gardening: 49.92

--- Foraging: 54.53

--- Botanizing: 45.98

--- Farming: 36.46
--- Meditating: 68.03
--- Animal husbandry: 50.61
- Fighting: N /A

--- Aggressive fighting: 39.33
- Miscellaneous items: 57.20
--- Shovel: 60.01

--- Pickaxe: 48.26

--- Repairing: 52.73
- Axes: 37.38

--- Hatchet: 34.60

- Woodcutting: 56.85
- Carpentry: 70.12

--- Fine carpentry: 35.20

--- Ship building: 34.50

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://imgur.com/a/0xDQlRL

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 1

So glad to see that you have stayed on!

From my comment on your leaving thread:

'You say that you still love the game. That in itself tells me that in your heart of hearts you really do want to stay in our ever-expanding Wurm world. I hope that you will think again about your decision and give it another go- perhaps trying another server or even Wurm Unlimited'

I find that playing Wurm 'the casual way' is a most enjoyable experience and fully recommend it to you.  I do not play on Melody or indeed any of the new servers, however, I shall wait with interest to see how you get on with your dream deed.

Good luck from a Pristine island-dweller!

Edited by Spolmit
  • Like 1

Hi, I enjoyed reading your heartfelt and honest appraisal of your Wurm journey. I can definitely recognise some of this in my own story. I feel I have too readily focused on skill gain at times, rather than enjoying the game for what it is. I wish you well as you continue to learn about your own playstyle discovering more about what works for you given your own personal circumstances. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bloodreina said:

3. Initially, I decided to stick with a small 21x23 (483 tiles) size for my deed, without a guard, since the setup cost was lower than the five silvers which were included in the initial package (exact price was 4s 83c, which included the first three months of upkeep) and the monthly upkeep cost was as close as possible, yet still below the minimum cost of one silver per month (any deed smaller than this would still cost one silver, so there wouldn't be any savings, so  basically no reason for going smaller).

I just wanted to thank you for talking about this, I didn't know there was a minimum of 1 silver and that the default 11x11 is way below that! I just expanded my deed to be 20x25 (500 tiles)! :D

I think this thread will be very valuable to new players or those interested in Wurm and worried about how much time they will need to invest to get things done.

• Like 2

So, here's the plan for the next few months:

1. Keep meditating as often as possible, hoping to eventually get to 70 meditation skill (I was 68.03 at the beginning of the month) and level 11 on the Path of Knowledge, so I can get the bonus skill gain.
2. Keep breeding my horses hoping to eventually get to the point where I can have some 5 speed horses; I don't intend to sell, but I'd like them for me and eventually for some close friends.
3. Keep cooking the food that I need, so I can slowly level up hot food cooking and eventually get to the point where I can get better CCFP.
4. Keep surface mining (might also need a bit of dredging on the side) that stubborn mainland area that is too close of my island, which will most likely also help me reach the goal of getting to 50+ mining skill.

5. Use whatever small amount of dirt I'll get from said dredging to expand the island with a couple more tiles (if enough for any at all :P).
6. Now that I'd have the gathering skills at 50+ skill, go cut some woods and mine some iron ore, so I have enough materials at skill cap quality (which should be somewhere in the 50+ range).

7. Craft a full set of tools, weapons and armor and do my best to improve them all to 50+ quality (which I assume will be a real PITA especially with the weapons).

8. Craft a bee smoker and a chicken coop as soon as I'll have the minimum required skills.
9. Craft some crate racks and better organize my crates with mats / resources.
10. Try to finish at least one of the three boats that I have in work in the moment (probably the second corbita, because skills are not high enough yet for the knarr or caravela).

I'd be grateful if you could give me any feedback, point any flaws you think it has or suggest me better alternatives! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Bloodreina