Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Best weapons (sans enchants)

Hi!

I know that normally the staff and the large axe are considered the best weapons for PVE.

I'm wondering though if this changes in anyway if you play without enchants (like I do because of "religious" reasons - being an atheist in game) or if enchants or no enchants they stay the same.

I'd be grateful for any answer. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Bloodreina

Low FS I would say its the 2H Sword not the Axe. Because the additional parry chance keep you alive in the early stages while you still hit nearly as hard as with the axe and get your FS skill fast. On top, you mix piercing and slashing and have fewer problems with glancing on Scorpions.

With enchants I would say its still the 2H Axe because most enchants do is "just" a % increase in DMG so the higher the base DMG the more you will notice the increase. And ATK speed have a cap on how low the swing timer can be so WoA is on some 1H weapons not full effective. (These are points I would like to see improved with more diversity and difference in the enchantment effects)

• Like 1

any will work in pve, just use whatever you feel like would be the best for you

and enchants are not needed at all. instead of life transfer, you can just use cotton. 

the main stat on a weapon is the quality

if you want to one-hit things go for 2handers

if you want to feel invincible, although fights wont end as quickly. shields.

axes = high damage, lacks in defense

mauls = decent damage, decent defenses

swords = damage not as great as the other types but great defenses 

• Like 1

My favourite is the large maul. It does decent damage and has decent accuracy (compared to the huge axe) - with or without enchants. Like AlmostSolitude said, all weapons have their pros and cons. I'm sure the staves and other polearms might be better, but those didn't exist when I started playing and I've just kept grinding with the same old weapons I've had for years.

it's a fanatic game, being an atheist in wurm is not an option

you literally SUCK at fighting 

if you take this path, good for you, enjoy sponging yourself with cotton to heal and do 25-50% damage all the time or less.

• Cat 1

Without enchants you will have several factors you will have to decide, defence vs offence is key though how much do you care about each. That will inevitably depend on skills, stats and cotton supply. Then next with the combat overhaul coming you may find that you prefer a different set of special moves.

If you are getting at the highest dps, the huge axe and staff tie at 100 skill, at lower skill the huge axe will be marginally higher dps.

Without lt you also don't benefit from smaller more frequent hits so may also be more inclined to go for the slower swinging weapons.

Also if you care about which metals are the best without woa the highest dps would be glimmer> ada(/silver)>iron.

Edited by Lethyria
  • Like 1

Choose a weapon and stick with it. Weapon skill helps a lot. If your constantly switching weapons you won't have as high weapon skill. Once you get 70 in say huge axe, sure try something else.

Best weapon to me means which one will make it easiest for me to win. In Wurm PvE you can actually fight with almost anything,  even silly choices, say a saw. But that saw (and many other sub0-optimal choices) will be less effective then say a huge axe. I know I want the best and it seems the OP does too.

In my experience best is to focus on dps. Defensive style play is sub-optimal. This means metal staff or huge axe in aggressive and aim for head. Note it's possible my bad experience with defensive style play are explained by my lack of fighting knowledge. I currently approach mob, aim for head and wait. If I knew how to aim optimally, flank optimally, and block optimally it might be a different story.

enchants:

except for woa/botd they don't change anything. They just give you an extra boost. There is a swing speed minimum cap of 3s (apparently with gilmmer/adman we can go slightly under 3s). Slower two-handed weapons can fully benefit from woa and stay above the 3s cap. Many faster weapons won't benefit from woa because they are already at 3s.

Edited by Ogare
add enchants

On 3/1/2021 at 2:40 AM, Bloodreina said:

I'm wondering though if this changes in anyway if you play without enchants (like I do because of "religious" reasons - being an atheist in game) or if enchants or no enchants they stay the same.

Since you will not be having enchants on your weapons for some time, I would say that it would be best to mitigate the damage that you take buy using a shield and some 1 handed weapon. 1 handed weapons are generally faster and miss less than 2 handed as well, especially at lower skill. You may take longer to kill mobs but in the end you will die less with better protection from the shield. I now prefer a longsword and shield and no longer use my 2 handed weapons but of course mine are enchanted for healing and better skill gains.

If guard towers are near just call the guards and let them get aggro while you stay back. Then you can attack and still gain skill at a slower rate because of sharing the killing with them. You can shield bash too for gains then.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
sp*
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, Ayes said:

If guard towers are near just call the guards and let them get aggro while you stay back

Ah, yes "The Little Sister"; my favourite manoeuvre.

I generally stick to my long sword and large shield.  Both are steel, both are skinned, and I have them equipped because I like how they look.  I would also occasionally like to dual wield with either s.axe/s.sword or s.axe/s.maul. Again, just for the look.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:07 PM, Finnn said:

it's a fanatic game, being an atheist in wurm is not an option

Well, no, it is an option.  Not your preferred one, obviously.  Maybe objectively suboptimal so not for min/max play but from an RP approach a perfectly valid choice.  

Or maybe it isn't even athiest so much as "none of the above".  😁

• Like 1