Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Epic <-> Freedom skill transfer

On 6/11/2021 at 5:53 PM, Wilczan said:

Yeah, I suggested that years ago, merging whole pvp community by connecting Epic home servers with Chaos.

Zmd6c4G.jpg

So would they be sailable from SFI, or portal only?  Would that be portal from SFI/NFI (and then portal BACK to only the cluster you came from)?

I am not objecting, just asking.  My only major reason for not jumping over to epic is the "nothing transfers" issue.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

Bump to making an entire cluster part of the same community...please.

+1 with proper ratio, no reason to alienate a community in the way the current system does.

• Like 1

Mostly everything that can be said has been said.
As one of the newer/returning player it is almost frustrating to what degree Epic has been abandoned.
There are still couple of people logging in to epic daily, unfortunately population growth with out assistance seems impossible.
We need some sort of intervention, be it connection to freedom and skill transfer both ways, be it complete overhaul, or anything else suggested in this thread, perhaps even allowing item transfer to enable us to trade.
Even if the latter might seem unreasonable to some so be it, we need something done, many things stagger epic from ever reaching population again.
I've seen in my experience what is becoming a common thing, is that when ever we gain a new player, they either:
A)Due to being unable to see local, assume they are at a barren wasteland after an hour or so of trying to play/find contact, and just end up quitting.
B)Get lucky to be caught by some of us, in our case Serenitys Endurance and be explained to that it is not entirely dead, after which in couple of cases they quit anyway due to low population number as it is.
And that is just the tip of the iceberg, many have commented and expressed the many issues of Epic through-out this thread.
That being said, in comparison to some of the veterans that commented and expressed their distress way better then me, i am merely newbie even now in comparison to most of them.
But be it as it may as a person that grew to love our cluster, and actually liking the game rules of Epic it self,i would have no interest in joining Freedom,simply because i love the aspects of Epic, too much investment into character so far anyway to do so.

As many have said, we plead the Devs to do something about Epic, what ever fate that may for Epic it must be better then at its current state of being on life support.
Hopefully this post finds you well and thank you for reading.

• Like 2

If you'd allow freedom people to keep their kingdom design from Epic there will be hordes coming there. If not all of them hehe.

I think the two-way skill transfer is the best thing they could do right now. Maybe not 1 to 1 transfer, but it should be at a decent ratio, where the same time on Epic would translate to the same skill increase as on Freedom. If it is a bit quicker the minmaxers of Freedom will be all over the place. Not necessarily bad for Epic, but the main purpose would be to allow people that are both on Epic and Freedom to have a benefit from spending time on Epic on their Freedom server.

• Like 1

They did a skill transfer at the end of 2017. I don't see why they couldn't implement the same formula again.

Epic is the readheaded stepchild that got forgotten in the basement. 

+1 again for a 2 way skill transfer, doesn't have to be 1:1, but with a formula to account for epic skilling

• Like 1

[11:23:22] 4 other players are online in the Epic cluster. You are on Serenity (407 totally in Wurm).
As this continues to be somewhat consistent status quo, we are still waiting for a 2 way  transfer.
It has been done in the past, i see no reason to this day that something like this should not be considered/implemented.
It will do far more good then harm, if any harm is there to be done.
I would assume that these words speak for many  Epic players is that we would be grateful for this feature/change to be done.
If anything at least some recognition that this is reached the eye of those that have any power to help this issue.
Our lands eagerly await this, to this day.
Hope this post finds you well, and apologies if it anyway sounds entitled which is not its intent.
Thank you for reading.

• Like 1

I mean...realistically there's what? 12-20 unique players actually logging on Epic on a monthly basis? And that's an optimistic number. 

The 1 way skill copy transfer to freedom absolutely killed any motivation for anyone to ever play on Epic again. 

Most names I've seen on desertion these past 12 months were people from Freedom logging on epic to do quick journal goals. 

Oh you got a colossus to build and have to gather 4000 mats ? No problem dude, just spam colossus bricks with a 1.3 second creation timer (rounded down to 1 second per brick). You can do that goal in less than half a day. 

Oh got an item to improve to ql 99? No problem, log on epic with 92 blacksmithing, the curve rounds it up to 99.4 or something like that, and enjoy the 6 second imping timers (less with woa tools). Etc.

Epic is realistically just a destination for people to power game their journal goals at this point. I can't blame them but let's stop pretending anyone on the team has given a ###### about Epic for the past year(s).  If you'd have cared, you'd have done something about it. Look at the past valrei international updates, no one has even mentioned Epic or anything about it. 

Just bloody hell add a 2 way skill transfer so people HAVE ACTUAL REASONS to play there instead of pretending Epic doesn't exist. Wurm is a game about skills. Kill any motivation to skill up on a server and you have zero players playing there....logic, not wogic. 

Guess it's easier to ignore us. 

• Like 4

I'm not sure it's even possible to do an accurate skill xfer now they messed up the Epic skillgain system. When I moved to Xanadu recently they just deleted all my gains since about 2017 and then gimped all my skills again for good measure, lol. It's gonna take years to recover, assuming I ever do.

It wasn't a skill xfer as such, more a crucifixion.

I can understand why players who spent their whole lives on Epic wouldn't want to go through that.

On the other hand, living and skilling on Freedom, and going to Epic for adventures is not only possible, but potentially very entertaining.

9 hours ago, Mowglia said:

I'm not sure it's even possible to do an accurate skill xfer now they messed up the Epic skillgain system. When I moved to Xanadu recently they just deleted all my gains since about 2017 and then gimped all my skills again for good measure, lol. It's gonna take years to recover, assuming I ever do.

It wasn't a skill xfer as such, more a crucifixion.

I can understand why players who spent their whole lives on Epic wouldn't want to go through that.

On the other hand, living and skilling on Freedom, and going to Epic for adventures is not only possible, but potentially very entertaining.

Well at this point any sort of transfer is better then nothing.
As i've seen from posts/talked with freedom players, in general the main reason for them not coming over is simply due to fact nothing goes both ways.
Hence the reason i don't understand why keep us Epic players segregated in such a fashion.
If i wanted to attend something on freedom like a slaying, or even visit friends, i'd basically start from nill again due to no skill passing over.
If the basic argument for <-> not being a thing is that Freedomers would be at a unfair treatment, then why not simply calculate transfer rate of skill to be appropriate?
In the most basic laymans terms i could think of, the example would be as such:
Let's say in theory:
An freedom player will grind a skill, spending 24 hours on it, flat out, he reaches 20 skill in a particular skill.
An epic player will do the same, 24 hours on it, but he reaches a skill of 40
Why simply not slash the epic players skill to 20 once he reaches Freedom? Making it a fair ground to the freedom player due to time investment being exactly the same as the result of the said investment?

Obviously i've used the simplest and the most crude example i could to illustrate my point, but i hope you catch my drift here.
For the actual number i'm aware that its far more complex in calculation, but i'm sure that it can be done mathematically to replicate and implement what i've showcased an example of, and i'm sure that Wurm Devs have more mathematical knowledge then me to make this happen at a fair rate to the freedom players.

That being said even skill transfer would be enough at this point, with out items/anything, just simply allowing us to interact with the rest of Wurm with out sever punishment of simply having to start over.

In this way i don't see any reason why would this be a negative to any side, both Freedom and Epic.
Epic as it is , is pretty dead, i've had more interaction/seeing chat on Independance coming over lagging my butt off to just stand doing nothing as people kill a Dragon,
then i've had on Epic in a month, it gets pretty depressing sometimes.

By all means if someone sees a negative with what i have in mind about this issue do correct me/elaborate on it, because for me i do not see a reason why would this not transpire into reality to this day.
You would do a huge service to most, if not all of Epic by doing this, i have not seen/heard a single epic player being against this, if so i'd love to hear the reason as to why.

As always, thank you for reading, and with hopes that you (Developers) will hear this plea and help us. Thanks.

Everyone would benefit from this and no one would lose. Epic might even see some life in it for a change after half a decade of shrinking population to just 20 people. 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for 2022, like in all last years...

Edited by Wilczan

Not holding my breath for this one. I have an internal wager within me that Epic won't be mentioned more than 2 times in updates this year. And none of them will amount to any significant decision. 

No skill transfer both ways = zero motivation for people to play on Epic. 

• Like 2

I guess there will be no overhaul or rework in the nearest future, but skill transfers would be a good start to begin with.

Currently we have unfair system, where players outside of Epic can go here, mess around, kill, die, whatever and when they go back to home cluster, their skills will magically go back to previous state.

No risk of skill or gear loss, no worries about hiding somewhere, couse you just port back to home cluster.

On the other hand, no rewards couse you won't gain any skills or loot, unless it's coins, so you can transfer those to other side through bank system.

Just waste of time, unless someone loves to mess things up for others.

• Like 2