Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Epic <-> Freedom skill transfer

Someone remind me to rekindle this thread every 30 days.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 7:23 AM, elentari said:

Try it. Make a new char, go to the portal and see if you can select Serenity as your start server for example. You can't. First you have to go to freedom and THEN go to an epic portal.

This made me laugh.

It's true, I've done this many times. Generate a toon; "Helloooo Freeeedom!"

Frantically complete the tutorial, then about 20 seconds later (as I reach the Epic portal); "Goodbyeeee Freeeedom!"

I'm not sure why, maybe it would seem rude not to acknowledge that the place exists?

And that's all I ever saw of Freedom. I can't go there as I believe all my skills reset to 1.0?! It's a shame as there's at least one player I would like to visit on Freedom one day.

Did anyone ever find out why there isn't a skill transfer system in place already? Did the devs ever comment on this? Items I understand, and even affinities, but basic skills? It just seems bizarre that this works one way but not the other. Is the algorithm used to travel from Freedom to Epic some kind of irreversible formula? :P

Anyway, yeah, +1 to this idea.

If/when I return to Wurm I will stay on Epic, for the record, but it would be nice to be able to visit Freedom and see it.

• Like 1

+1

when i returned back to the game epic was dead and so i went to freedom, after spending so much on freedom grinding my skills I don't really feel like going back to epic because of the loss. i think a system should be added, a lot of us would start playing on epic again probably. some of the best times iv ever had in wurm was on the epic cluster it offers more to the game.

I don't get the same thrill on freedom servers as I once did on epic and I would like to see it revived.

• Like 2

Hold on a second.. What is Epic? 🤔

As the ultimate owning master of the game I only know we have SFI and NFI clusters. Period.

Epic is Wurm in it's full glory. Some of us were lucky enough to experience it when it was most populated.

It's connected to the SFI for your interest.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2021 at 9:12 PM, Mowglia said:

Eh, what's NFI/SFI?

(new 2020) Northern Freedom Isles ( harmony, melody, cadence, defiance)

(old 2007-2014) Southern Freedom Isles ( Independence, deliverance, exodus, celebration, pristine, release, xanadu, chaos)

just shortened/abbreviation to refer to the difference clusters

+1

I started going back and forth recently and its sad that the time I spend on both cluster doesn't add up.

I'd love to see non drop items follow the char too (unused merchant contracts, spyglass, sleep powders!)

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 8:23 AM, Wilczan said:

Yes, would be nice if people would just have an option to do so, no high hopes for population spike.

Holy true

On 3/2/2021 at 10:04 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Every time you get a skill tick on epic you just grant a skilltick on freedom with a reduced size based on the difference in probability of obtaining that skilltick.

I have no clue if it's doable but I believe in Etherdrifter math skills.

Before Steam, we had Elevation reset and there were info, that next changes to Epic will come in longer time, but then Steam hit the spot.

I even remember that this Elevation 3 was supposed to be temporary?

Is there still any plans to continue the work or it is abandoned?

Currently looking on playerbase divided to 3 pvp servers (in reality it's just 2):

- Defiance has it's freshness and is more appealing to new players

- Chaos got worse, but at last still the same skill system as on freedom + possibility to cross

- Epic has faster skilling system on lower levels and faster creation timers, but it's completely isolated

The epic changes were great, for about a month. The latest elevation map release was meh, and then the cluster has been abandoned entirely by the playerbase and development team.

It's pretty insulting honestly, what a mess. Problems introduced by the changes to the skilling system over there that were never addressed (lockpicking ..) I understand there is a small dev team, but at this point what does it serve as a cluster other than to add to more bills for code club to bear. Chaos has always been the shithole deed spam warfare that it is. Defiance was a good opportunity to get going again, which was good for a while, although how many people actively play there now then?

Until you centralise PvP on to one map everything will suffer somewhat.

THIS HASN'T JUST DEVELOPED OVERNIGHT, THIS HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR YEARS... sort your ###### out.

• Like 1

I have a different take on this.  I don't see the harm in a straight-up skill transfer between Epic and Freedom.  I think it would be great if Epic were a place new people could go to skill-up quickly.  Opens up the game for a different style of play.  And I don't see why length of time at the exact same grind must be the only way to succeed in Wurm.  You look at many any other MMOs and they have a shortcut way for new players to move ahead quickly if they wish.  You can out-right buy high-level characters in Wow and Everquest, you can pay to double your skill gain, even when you're offline, on Eve.  It provides a way for new players to reach the high-end content quickly if that is their interest.  Far more fun for those type of players, even if the majority still make a level 1 character and skill up normally.

I mean, what's the argument against providing a way for players moving up quickly in skills?  Doesn't matter for pve.  It makes pvp far more fun to have more folks on equal ground, and may encourage a few more players to try it out while on Epic.  Only downside I can think of might be the market on Freedom, but I think the type of player who likes to purchase things isn't going to care either way.  I don't see a lot of overlap there.  I think opening up a differents route to players who wish a different style of play is the most obvious way to grow and retain new players to the game overall.  There are others on this forum with more experience in the game who can, and probably will 🙂 , speak to this.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2021 at 11:44 AM, Sjarn said:

I mean, what's the argument against providing a way for players moving up quickly in skills?

The argument is by carebears who spent 10 years in wurm hard grinding skills every day, they just cant bear the thought that some others would do that in 3 years now :) i personally agree with you. You just dont really get into the old game, where no matter what level you play at - the old timers will be 10 years ahead of you lol.  All the economy argument is bullcrap too. the economy is about supreme+ items you can be lucky to make at any level or unique items, you can also get at any level.  if one person makes 45 ql showel, and another one squeezes 50ql cuz his skills are "better" - noone buys neither 45 or 50ql shovels anyways lol

• Like 1

"No other players are online on Desertion (820 totally in Wurm)."

That's reality of almost every day here, for very long time.

I bet, uniques of this server (and there are many) treat me as an unique. "Look, it's a human!"

• Like 6

On 3/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

they already made such a thing for jackal, which converted skillgain on the 1-100 roll epic skillgain thing into the 1-40 roll system based on the total amount of ticks you've gotten (although at a rate that it was pointless to transfer back lol)

unless this is implemented its a hard -1 for me

sorry but epic gets 2x skill gain for everything including characteristics and on top of that gets a 30% bonus to characteristics. make it a fair transfer or no deal imo, if this was the case epic would likely see much, much more action. assuming they go back and revert basically everything they did to elevation ;^)

Delete Elevation and the skill curve/gain. Bring Desertion, Serenity and Affliction over and connect them to Chaos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gumbert said:

Delete Elevation and the skill curve/gain. Bring Desertion, Serenity and Affliction over and connect them to Chaos.

I'd be fine with that.

Freedom would suddenly have an influx of 20 uniques to kill and historic servers with beautiful steppes and forests to explore.

At this point I'd be fine if the staff even acknowledged Epic as being part of Wurm. Not like theere aren't any paying players there or anything.

2 hours ago, Gumbert said:

Yeah, I suggested that years ago, merging whole pvp community by connecting Epic home servers with Chaos.

Zmd6c4G.jpg

• Like 2