Sign in to follow this  
Wilczan

Epic <-> Freedom skill transfer

What are the chances of introducing Epic <-> Freedom both way skill transfers? Of course with proper scaling.

Currently, most people do not even consider playing on Epic, knowing that their progress (skills) won't go to Freedom in any case.

Not gonna lie, it's not like many players would play here if transfer worked both ways, but I have heard in past years from few players that they would return to Epic if that was the case.

Also, new players are not interested.

I have seen many new players settling here and vanishing, sooner or later, after few weeks. They see an empty server and just leave.

Sooner or later they realize that there is no point, couse they gonna stuck here with their skills in case they changed their minds and would like to go to Freedom or Chaos.

It is not for me, I'am gonna stay on Epic anyway. Wurm is all about character progress and bending world to our will, and I put too much time in both to go somewhere else.

If those transfers were introduced, then maybe some players could decide to return to game or play here, thus this server could get a little more life.

That's all I'am asking for.

Greetings

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 18

they kind of backed themself into a corner by changing the epic skillgain system to the weird ###### that it is currently, but yeah, no skillgain affinities or items transferring back makes it really unappealing to basically anyone from freedom

• Like 2

It pretty much destroys any motivation to play on Epic knowing that your hard earned skills are isolated on a single cluster.

A skill transfer formula could be implemented to work from Epic>Freedom, even skillgains that are at a transfer ratio of 3/1 would be better than nothing. At least we'd get something.

• Like 2

Indeed, proposed again and again, and certainly, it is the main obstacle for freedom players to play on Epic. But I have few hope that the devs will ever give in. If I am wrong (which I still hope somewhat), and some kind of skill transfer back is finally implemented, Epic should be made accessible from NFI as well.

• Like 2

+1, ive always been interested in epic, but having in back of my head that my skills are going to stay here discourages me enough to not play.

• Like 2

+1 Since they did a transfer in 2017 it shouldnt be difficult to make this happen.

• Like 1

Plus such a move would actually give new players a reason to stick to epic.

I imagine many quit when they find out all their progress is locked to epic and they scratch their heads why their skills transfer from freedom but not vice versa.

It would be a boon to improve epic population and help the game overall. Can't see any downsides. Please give us some feedback on it devs.

• Like 1

+1 but lets not hope this will be a game changer or would make any difference in population

38 minutes ago, Tor said:

+1 but lets not hope this will be a game changer or would make any difference in population

I bet it won't be a game changer. But +few people in each kingdom, probably yes.

Id probably spend some more time on Epic if i could get a portion of the skills gained there with me back to Freedom. Right now it kinda feels like a waste, somehow. Much like the OP have spent time getting engaged with Epic, ive spent time getting engaged with Freedom. Everything i do on Freedom boosts my character.

• Like 2

1:1 skill transfer will create a meta to go to epic grind for a fast start to a certain point than go to freedom.. this brings nothing good to anybody but the few shenanigan-ists who will exploit the feature to 'save time' for premium and catch up to others faster.

36 minutes ago, Finnn said:

1:1 skill transfer will create a meta to go to epic grind for a fast start to a certain point than go to freedom.. this brings nothing good to anybody but the few shenanigan-ists who will exploit the feature to 'save time' for premium and catch up to others faster.

7 hours ago, Wilczan said:

What are the chances of introducing Epic <-> Freedom both way skill transfers? Of course with proper scaling.

I think that everybody is aware that it could not be 1:1 skill transfer.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 3

I'd be happy to see some of my skills being transferred from Epic to Freedom, though I'll still keep my Epic character where it "belongs" most of the time - unless there is some "must see" event that I'd like to check out on Freedom.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Finnn said:

No one said a 1:1 ratio. 

But a formula can be devised similar to the formula initially used to transfer Epic chars to Freedom.

Things like fighting / meditation can have a 1:1 ratio since it takes a long time anyway to skill up both, regardless of cluster. 

We had a ‘one off’ skills transfer that used a formula to convert Epic skills to an approximate level on Freedom, it wasn’t perfect, but it certainly wasn’t a 1:1 by any means, I’m not complaining, it was an reasonable compromise for Epic and Freedom, my main Epic character became my Freedom priest, I was personally happy enough with that.

Going forward we then had the Freedom to Epic skills transfer which is a continuous mechanic that applies every time any player transfers from Freedom to Epic, and it does leave Epic mainly players feeling a little left out, if we didn’t get the one off transfer we’d probably be a sight more left out, and that does bear on the new players who might want to dip a toe in Epic waters, there’s no incentive to skill on Epic, which leads to a lower incentive to actually play there at all.

I understand the whole ‘no 1:1 transfer’ argument, but that’s not what is being asked for.

Epic is still on life support, comatose and awaiting either someone with the guts to pull the plug, or with the vision and will to try and revive it.

Time to make a decision.

• Like 4

It is indeed time for a decision.

We have such promising servers on epic, with tons of mobs to hunt, a lot of uniques alive, homeservers with a rich history behind and a decent infrastructure to explore and learn the map.

Also the fact that new players cannot select an epic server to start on from the very beginning is a mechanic I do not agree with.

Try it. Make a new char, go to the portal and see if you can select Serenity as your start server for example. You can't. First you have to go to freedom and THEN go to an epic portal.

It also send the completely wrong message when a new player does start on Epic, sees a completely empty server cluster and thinks to himself "this game is dead, all servers are probably like this".

I do wonder how many players we'll never see in game because they had the misfortune of starting on empty lands where they don't have neighbours, don't have any chance of getting quality gameplay with others ... because there are no others. Just the few diehards left on epic.

We need to stop ignoring Epic.

• Like 1

Skill transfer both ways, SFI - Epic access, NFI - Epic access, possibility to join Epic directly from Steam (if it isn't already, no clue as I don't play Wurm through Steam), rewards or events only possible on Epic after having joined a kingdom where the reward somehow can be brought back to through the portal to freedom and that way interacting the clusters. Or something totally different....

There's plenty that could be done to turn Epic around, one way or another.

+1

• Like 2

17 hours ago, elentari said:

No one said a 1:1 ratio. 

But a formula can be devised similar to the formula initially used to transfer Epic chars to Freedom.

Things like fighting / meditation can have a 1:1 ratio since it takes a long time anyway to skill up both, regardless of cluster. 

tldr, but id imagine its been mentioned; but it really can't be devised similar to the initial formula. with the initial formula the two clusters were a lot alike in regards to skill gain, epic was simply doubled in almost every single skill and curved but still followed the system of action difficulty versus skill. new epic now you pretty much do any difficulty of tasks and achieve optimal skill gain 

9 hours ago, elentari said:

It also send the completely wrong message when a new player does start on Epic, sees a completely empty server cluster and thinks to himself "this game is dead, all servers are probably like this".

im not sure if you are aware, but any server remotely close to resembling a pvp server, is in fact, like this

We fought for that and they did something different. Naughty

• Like 1

Ok so what are the possible reasons for not implementing this?

1.  It would be hard to balance

-But that's not our problem, it's hard to balance but it could be balanced.  I mean it's not as if existing systems are not already horribly broken, and have been for years.

2.  Epic is dead, why bother

-It's dead right now yes, and lets be honest here, it will stay dead until something is done with it.  You've got some dead servers that need life, that is reason enough.

3.  Skilling on PvP will become the new meta

-No, this is where you do your job properly with (1)

4.  This would be hard to implement

-No...  Every time you get a skill tick on epic you just grant a skilltick on freedom with a reduced size based on the difference in probability of obtaining that skilltick.

I've got to admit, I doubt I'd every play on epic (so this would be of no use to me); however there isn't really a good reason not to do this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

This would be hard to implement

they already made such a thing for jackal, which converted skillgain on the 1-100 roll epic skillgain thing into the 1-40 roll system based on the total amount of ticks you've gotten (although at a rate that it was pointless to transfer back lol)

10 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I've got to admit, I doubt I'd every play on epic (so this would be of no use to me); however there isn't really a good reason not to do this.

Yes, would be nice if people would just have an option to do so, no high hopes for population spike.

I still exclusively play on Epic because I first started right before its launch all those years ago and have the most memories here. I would still be BL if they hadn't remade the whole island! My freedom skills are weak and I have zero interest going over there now after spending so much time on Epic.