Sign in to follow this  
Ogare

Help with fewest animals to avoid in breeding.

Is there a better way than the following?

1. Start with 2 females and 2 males.

2. Pair up dedicated M and F to breed only males and a pair for only females.

3. Breed 2 male and 2 female new children.

4. Now I'm back to the start of the cycle. I could keep repeating this cycle and never have inbreeding correct?

If I want more animals then above I'd add another group of 4.

Edited by Ogare

I use WA. It doesn't tell me the fewest animals I need to avoid inbreeding. WA is very useful to quickly see potential breeding partners.

Edited by Ogare

no not the fewest, but it tells you if you are on your way to do inbreed, so you can do changes. 

hopefully someone else got an answer for you :)

GL :)

Inbreeding is only a problem if they already have negative traits - it doesn't increase the chance of getting them, only passing them on. So as long as the animals you're breeding don't have negative traits (or have had them taken away with Genesis), you don't need to worry about inbreeding.

huh, so I dug into WU code because I didn't believe that inbreeding would not add new negative traits the potential pool. ( Creature.mate()  and Traits.calcNewTraits() ) I'm still unsure because the code isn't clear to me but it does seem like it's true.

But this doesn't change things. I not worried about it now. I'm worried Wurm is going to nerf things when they change animals. I want to make sure there is no first generation inbreeding period.

in WA, under the advisor options, is the checkbox to prevent matching pairs to prevent inbreeding. I don't know if this helps you at all and I've not used that myself, as I don't worry about inbreeding, and I have over 75 horses/hell horses that I breed.

Good luck!

This is not an answer to your question, but once you have a Fo priest you actually want negative traits in your horses. An increased chance of adding a negative trait to the draw pool means you have a reduced risk of adding a neutral trait to the draw pool. Therefore you end up with a larger number of clean horses in your herd, and this gives you more 5-speed horses over time.

I'd like some feed back on this subject considering the new animal changes.