Sign in to follow this  
Ngin

Auto climb

How many times have we seen those message
"why is my stamina not comming back fed and watered only 50 weight in pack"
"My stamina is not refilling what would cause that?"
"hello! Any idea why my stamina remain 0, when my food and drink levels are ok and I am standing still and not working?"

"has anyone ever had their stamina run out and not regenerate at all"

"My stamina is not renewing. What could be the reason?"
It's very confusing for newbies anyway and I think it's about time to add auto climb and get rid of that toggle option. So basically upon walking slopes that are too steep it will automatically drain your stamina, I would like to see a new animation when climbing as an indication like the combat UI.

• Like 1

Possibly, but don't disable manual. There are situations where it is useful to manually control (like sliding down a mountain).

• Like 5

I can not see good implementation of this.. just make it so if you drain stamina to 0.. and do not perform actions for 5-10 seconds.. climb turns off?

Unless I'm missing a useful scenario.. like fighting at 0 stamina for some bonus/debuff working well for something.. it's practically always a minus to have 0 stamina and do or not do anything in that situation.. or trigger that for noobs with the noob buff?

or players below 30 body.str etc.. whatever counts as 'new'.

Anybody else later on... have the right idea when to use it and why.. automatic triggering for older players will result in some angry faces and word exchange .. around

By default turning auto climb on and if the older players like the old system then leave it as optional, that should solve this dilemma.

• Like 1

Maybe for newbies only (use the same threshold that is used for the bartender?) have a "You are climbing" notice (about as noticeable as "You hear bees"... or whatever it is).  

Maybe, have a "CLIMBING!" flasher overlay the health bar to really REALLY draw a connection (again for newbies).

7 hours ago, Ngin said:

By default turning auto climb on and if the older players like the old system then leave it as optional, that should solve this dilemma.

tutorial already teaches them how to use it.. if a player skips the tutorial and end up in ca-help.. it's digging a hole and falling in it.. no need to solve such issues if they cause them on their own.

I think what could help here would be to make the climbing action visible in the way your character moves. Not just how slow he/she moves but change the motion itself, like we see in attack mode. I don't mind turning climb mode on and off manually, but sometimes you simply forget and having an icon at the bottom of the screen turning yellow simply isn't a very good indicator.

The simplest fix I can come up with would be to add an icon next to the stamina bar which only shows when you are climbing. Like sleep bonus also only shows when you are using it. 

Because climb mode would drain stamina, or at least prevents you form regaining stamina that would be a logic place to look and notice the climbing mode.

But, changing the movement of the character would be totally in style with the game if you ask me.

I'm imagining a scenario with this auto-climb, I'm a -1 on the OP btw. A noob is walking along, hits a steep mountainside, decides to keep walking, doesn't notice his auto climb is on so higher and higher he goes til he's out of stamina and wheee down he falls to the base where he promptly dies. yeah, i'll take a hard pass on the idea.

• Like 3