Sign in to follow this  
Lei

Improve the Lore!

Wurm is a world of many skills. We use these skills to find a place to live, improving your home and lands, and making your place in the community both local and global. But there is also a whole world that was here before we arrived. And not just one world, a universe. Wurm is not Earth, its an entirely different realm. With different planets full of different creatures, all governed by Gods unique to this place.

All of this should have lore, right? Stories from people before us. Stories from maybe the Gods themselves. We can find a little bit of information in the texts given to use in religion. Just enough info to imply there is more to this than a sandbox that the players create. Even the monsters here on our planet of Wurm. Trolls, lava fiends, goblins - all humanoid creatures. Surely they have some intelligence, some culture. But the game doesn't give us any information about that. They're just simple monsters to slay. We have to use our imagination - and that's fine for some. But wouldn't it be even more interesting if there was a universal way to this world? To the creatures themselves? Maybe Trolls could have a language that the player could decipher. Maybe Goblins could be convinced to engage in trade and commerce with the humans. All  of this building on defining the world of Wurm. Rifts open, sending monsters from another world, Jackal, and yet we still don't know why. Clearly if they can travel between planets, they are very sentient and intelligent. Logically we could definitely communicate with at least those creatures if we could just convince them to stop fighting us. And who knows, maybe they hold information about the universe we all exist in. Information about the Gods, and even greater access to new magics.

Sorry, I got carried away.

All of this is just examples, things in the world of Wurm that could be improved upon to add detail to our in game environment. While Wurm Online is the ultimate sandbox, and a place the players create, we could be creating a civilization in a world that has ancient history and culture.

I suggest that the developers give the game a real story in which we make our own!

• Like 6

+1 It would be nice to have more of a back story. Such as an ancient tome of the history that can be read. Or bards songs and tales telling of ancient battles and kingdoms long past. Maybe even an old wise woman wandering the wood telling tales of warning and woe.

I am going to give this a -1, but not because I am against more lore on gods and creatures. I like the concept of finding out more about gods and creatures.

I am going to give this a -1 because Wurm already has such a rich and extensive history in relations to past kingdoms and tales - all created by players.
The essence of Wurm is that the players make the history of the game and by introducing more developer designed lore will devalue our player created history. 

The more 'official lore' there is will slowly devalue the player lore of the game, and the player history. 
A lot of players consider none game lore just as roleplay, or irrelevant, but in Wurm, the player relationships and such is all the game has to offer as the lore, so they can't ignore that the game was built by the players.

Just my 2 cents.

You can find a bit of lore from the Puppet skill 

Also the pvp kingdoms used to have some lore with each of their songs.

Such as: 

Though yeah, more in game story would be nice 🙂