Sign in to follow this  
azuleslight

Make Cooking Worthwhile

As we know the current cooking system isnt the best, especially when it comes to HFC. Most people just mass cook 2000 breakfasts in 20 ovens with 100 bowls in each or 8 cauldrons with 32 pans in each cauldron for 256 pans per forge to push past actually having to cook. 

recipes are entirely pointless and give no bonuses for rarity or added skill for making them for the increases diff. finding new recipies or being the first to make something or discovery through lore doesnt add to the enjoyment either. its mostly just completionist getting all the recipes not people having fun.

To the actual suggestion:

- Create new recipies, ones only found by opening other recipies and expand the current 6-800 recipies to more like 2000+ recipies.
- create new materials that can only be created from the culmination of gaining skill I.E. blending materials in more ways.
- portion control of current ingredients, no more just tossing whole items in, measurments for everything to get better quality items(you can still just chuck in whole ingredients but skill gain is reduced, ql is reduced, affinity timers are reduced if you do up to 75% pure skill wont compensate for not measuring out ingredients.
- clear information when foods are created I.E. how much of this food to get full from current level, the current nutrition provided and how much food is need to fill/ what CCFP's are given based on cooking skill.  
- Cooking requires an action timer and you CAN fatigue out.
- Last YOU CAN FAIL AT COOKING produce 1 ql food or worse that can make you character sick and causeing them to loss water, food bar, nutrition, CCFP's and it CAN kill you if not treated.

The idea behind requiring kowledge of other recipies is to lock the best foods behind effort and exploration. (this game is ultra grindy anyways might as well make it fun)
for instance you unlocked scrambled eggs but they are super basic, but it allows you to open scrambled eggs with milk, then the final tier of salt, pepper, milk, bacon, thin sliced meat. making a meh nutritional food into a med one. At the same time bumping up the difficult and giving more skill
Base food: scrambled eggs gives .01 skill at 1 skill
mid tiered diff food that is now open gives .05 skill
max tiered version of food gives .1 skill 
Rarity of recipe increase skill gain: .2, .3, .4 respectively in this instance

As you gain skill you learn specialized skills as well and can change when you are using differnt sub skills:
Veg Prep:
juliene
cross cut
minced
boiled

etc.

HFC:
saute
searing
Levels of meat cooked raw, rare, med, med -well, well done 

etc.

Butchering:
you can get specific types of cuts from creatures like foraging as you gain skill you can target specific items opening the cooking world more.
Rump roast
prime rib
steak cuts
fillet minon
thin sliced meat

etc.

also adding a new tier to fish
adding some new fish with poison elements, requiring higher butchering to be able to process them correctly and just more from old creatures:
puffer fish
poisoined squid
eel
Fatty tuna
crawfish
crabs

etc.

Baking could have its own sub skills as well:
make specific breads:
Multi-grain
baggets
french roll
honey flavored bread 

cake, pie, sweets
create specific crusts for pies that change the affinity 
adding layers to a cake based on your skill up to 9 layers
producing larger batches of candies and cookies as skill got higher.
etc.

The measurment of ingredients becomes more important as you skill up, at first you can bumble around at low skill but as you get into increasing difficult food products precise measurements are required. 
Lore:
10 skill: these thing will probably make something
20 skill: it seems to taste better if you add 1 ingredient
30 skill: it seems to taste better if you do this process to X item
40 skill: it seems to taste better if you add X and Y ingredient
50 skill: what if you added XYZ items in this preperation
60 skill: it seems if you put a little less of paprika, this meals ccfps would be improved
70 skill: if you add these things together it will give you a top tier meal/food and the best CCFP nutrition value
80 skill: have you thought about reducing X ingredient, adding more Y and cutting Z like so?
90 skill: measurements are with 10% of best quality
100 skill: all needed info. on prep to get the best CCFP's, nutrition and most food for the product is listed. If you have the items on hand, you can auto produce the meal without having to do it manually.

As you gain skill in cooking over all you can see the end products values:

say you make a cheeseburger:
10 skill: looks edible!
30 skill: i think it'll take the whole thing to fill me up
60 skill: this food will fill my food bar if i eat 1.5kgs, seems to have good nutrition and ccfps
90 skill: This food will fill my food bars if i eat 1.5kgs, has a nutrition value around 70-85, and will give carbs, fats and proteins
100 skill: this food will fill my food bars if i eat 1.5 kgs, has a nurtrion max of 83% when cold and 87% when hot, your CCFP bars will be filled to 99% if you consume .5kg's of meal/food.

Rarity:
Recipes that are of rare quality or better have a higher chance of producing any tier quality
rare recipies have: 50% to make rare, 5% to make supreme, .0001% to make fantastic
supreme recipeies have: 100% to make rare, 50% to make supreme, .001 to make fantastic
Fantastic recipies have : 100% to make rare,  80% to make supreme, 10% to make fantastic

the following comes with rare foods:
rares gives: 10% bonus affinity timer, 90% nutrition base, and affinity bonus is increased by 10%.
supreme foods give: 30% bonus affinity timer, 95% nutrition base, affinity bonus is increased by 20%, additional 10% affinity added (rng).
fantastic food gives: normal affinity timers, 99% nutrition and affinity bonus is increased by 30%, 2 additional 10% affinity added (rng).

as stated you can fatigue out making food of higher quality, low tier items that give little to no ccfps or nutrition but fill you up are free actions but mid/high tier of food requires action timers. 
So youll never run out of food but it wont ever be quality food either. this makes cooking not only a sustainable profession also lucrative and you can focus just like any other profession.

if you fail on a poison item like puffer fish or it is a low quality there is a chance of instant death upon consumption. or you can be poisoned very badly reducing all your capabilities and skills by 50% until healed by fo priest or a new type of healing item is used that can be extracted from puffer fish by anyone but takes a decent amount of natural substance to make a functional antidote.

Now the BIG TWO payoffs to make this system all worth it.
No more calculators!!!! as you gain skill you can target specific affinities with ANY High Tier food. 
every 1 skill is 1% more chance to get the targeted affinity. you can also try to change the second affinity. for second affinity the max target chance is 50%. This make getting to 100 cooking skill super important to cooks.

As you gain in skill you get additional affinity bonuses depending on the skill of the cook, So that burger gives you full food, ccfps, 90% nutrition BUT at 50 skill and 50 QL gives you an additional Fight bonus, the additional bonus is NOT RNG it goes to EVERY PLAYER EVERYTIME.... unless you attempt to change the second affinity.

Wildest part is.. you're serious about this.. and 1st april is not that close to take this as a joke, yet.. cooking is already crazy content as it is..

Wurm's skillgain system is bound to actions, many actions and rolls to get skill or not, better or worse, gains based on something..
You're suggesting tier system and skillgain based on tiers of recipes to progress by creating highest tier of ingredients/recipes which you currently can.. to progress to next tier which gives you "equally high" amount of skillgain, while older recipes turn obsolete in term of skillgain(pretty much how other 99% of the games work), but this have nothing to do with how skill is gained in wurm

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Wildest part is.. you're serious about this.. and 1st april is not that close to take this as a joke, yet.. cooking is already crazy content as it is..

Wurm's skillgain system is bound to actions, many actions and rolls to get skill or not, better or worse, gains based on something..
You're suggesting tier system and skillgain based on tiers of recipes to progress by creating highest tier of ingredients/recipes which you currently can.. to progress to next tier which gives you "equally high" amount of skillgain, while older recipes turn obsolete in term of skillgain(pretty much how other 99% of the games work), but this have nothing to do with how skill is gained in wurm

Good to see you start out with an insult like almost all of your posts. staying classy as always, gotta like that.

I know how wurm works, this brings wurm into current times with new mechanics  that work off the old and keeps the game fresh. and can still work on that same system, it just turns into a more complex if than statement. 
yes, its a tier system, no different than requiring 40 skill to build a wagon.... only differnce is its a check box like a journal entry. it doesnt give equally high....you clearly didnt read the example but thats cool. 
there yah go, all packaged up for yah.

bumping up the difficult and giving more skill
Base food: scrambled eggs gives .01 skill at 1 skill
mid tiered diff food that is now open gives .05 skill
max tiered version of food gives .1 skill 
Rarity of recipe increase skill gain: .2, .3, .4 respectively in this instance

your point? you cant make nails to get to 100 skill...eventually the skillgain is so low as to not be worth it. you're literally complaining about a game mechanic already present in the game...

you seem to be one of those people that derives pleasure from being negative. you can say w/e else you want, but you wont get anymore of my energy, have a great Wurm day Finnn /wave

• Like 2

There's a difference between insult and writing something in funny or clever way.

There's also handling of different views and calling them 'negative' or 'insults', that's just another opinion.

You clearly don't know me, I'm fine with that. 

Do you think people liked the cooking or fishing, complexity is cool when it's rewarding.. neither of the two systems reward well the effort spent in them.

Your idea adds more micromanagement, it's NO WONDER that I do not see it as good, and I am shocked that you truly believe your system is good, point of view.

Cooking should have had the same recipes and affinities for everybody.. and a way to scale timers adding irrelevant or multiples of some ingredients.. which again wouldn't be easy to generate.. but was going to make much more sense than current system requiring 3rd party coded calculators to make a meal in the game; cooking as it is.. lacks way to save own recipes, or handle them, or to generate new ones with in-game tool(s).. how's that for a system.. sounds incomplete.

You imagine an update will add 1-40% skillgain to meals? You can dream about it.

• Like 1

How would you target a specific affinity in your system? I dearly wish that were possible in-game. Since finding out about the calculators and feeling forced to use them I detest cooking.
I'm not sure how I feel about your idea of hfc level = chance of hitting the targeted affinity. Imagine a run of bad luck and having to redo all the food you made. I can see that as being quite frustrating.

The first issue with the thread lies in the title. Cooking is already worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Madnath said:

The first issue with the thread lies in the title. Cooking is already worthwhile.

i fast multiple times without eating, if food was worth anything I would eat, so no it is not worthwhile unless you count personal enjoyment from doing it.

I'll be honest.  It's not that I don't like your idea, I just dislike cooking in Wurm.  It's incredibly boring and tedious.   Adding more complexity won't fix that for me.  I dislike it to the point I cook the same exact meal in bulk every time, and I only stock the ingredients for that meal.  17 to be exact in number.  Aside from my single meal choice, I pay others if/when I want an affiniity food.  I have played for nearly 11 years and I haven't even bothered trying to unlock recipes.  It's just a big turn off for me and I really don't understand why tbh.

• Like 6

I absolutely love much of this, though I don't know if it would ever happen. (Not a big fan of tiers or hard limits on cooking skills though)

Edited by NeeNee
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, armyskin said:

i fast multiple times without eating, if food was worth anything I would eat, so no it is not worthwhile unless you count personal enjoyment from doing it.

tenor.gif

What you do =/= how worthwhile the system is.

Excuse me while I enjoy my full CCFP benefits, long affinity timers and bonus to stamina for being above 95% food or whatever.

Otherwise Nomad really said it best. As useful as the system actually is, it's just very boring to work with and adding more fluff and tiers to it isn't going to actually help the system at all. Cooking is fine compared to beverages which is a lot more broken.

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 2

If pizzas were less dominant, cooking would have greater value;  i've spent some time to get multiple recipes and while they're cool for RP purposes there isn't much purpose for them;  people either make meals if they want foodbar/ccfp or pizzas if they want mad affinity timers - there's no inbetween.

And dont even get me started on the sad state of beverages. :(

• Like 3

Though I respect the good ideas and so far agree to Neenee, I agree to Nomadikhan and Madnath. Some care for bevs would be great. Also, dfc should urgently be addressed.

• Like 1

Hmm, I find cooking boring as well.  All i do is make pizzas because the other recipes aren't as good for CCFP.  Pizza also stays at 40 difficulty no matter how many ingredients or weight. The other recipes, i make them once to add to cookbook and never make them again.  Haha, I'm a little afraid to even say it though.  Someone might think pizza is OP and nerf it.  😓

• Like 1

I like the discovering of new recipes, but I have to agree that they are completely useless. So making discovery of recipes more usefull would get a +1 from me. 

However, measuring is a tedious business as it is and does not add to the fun for me.

The fact that you can get all good nutirtion, CCFP and affinities just with meals or pizza makes the other recipes pretty useless. It would be nice to get extra skill gain by discovering recipes, especially because they take more effort that just creating yet another pizza :( Perhaps give titles for getting 100, 500, 1000 etc recipes. 

Or give people some good ql cooking or kitchen deco item for dicovering x recipes. Something non tradeable so you would have to earn it. Like a chefs hat for 100 recipes, a 99 copper frying pan for 500 recipes etc.

• Like 1

+1 to more champ or normal mob recipe drops with static characteristic half or full coverage recipes, meaning .. regardless of what your base number is.. you get same affinity buff on any character, makes a truly unique recipe.. easy to learn and so on.. not like current scuffed system with need to use 3rd party software calculator to make a meal for x affinity.

• Like 1