Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Valrei International. Combat Overhaul

VIOaks2.png

Combat Overhaul public testing

If you haven’t tried it out yet, make sure to go on the test server and check out the combat changes. With the intention of making the combat more interactive and readable, we’ve changed up a lot - the stance mechanics, special moves, and we gave it all a lot of visual feedback to keep your eyes away from the combat log, and all on the action.

Here’s some more details on it!

What about content?

It's been a while since we've released larger content updates, but rest assured, we are working on some exciting things!

The combat update, which we expect to go live as soon as the public testing concludes, is only the beginning.

Following the roadmap we released last October, we have two larger content updates coming in the near future:

• First is an improvement on animal keeping mechanics, slated for this spring (so not too far off!)
  • Second will be an exploration themed update, planned to be released this summer. Exploring the lands will be significantly more interesting and rewarding. It'll happen around Wurm's 15th anniversary, so watch out for anniversary events around the same time!

We’ll release some more details as we approach the release of those updates.

For a refresher on the roadmap, see below:

Old UI client

While we’ve always mentioned the old UI client would be going away, it’s only now that we have features coming in that won’t be able to support it anymore for future changes.

You should expect the old UI client to be removed sometime between a month and two months from now.

There have been many improvements to the new UI since it was released, the most recent of which addresses the issue of it being too bulky - a new “Text scale” option was added, in addition to “UI Scale” that was there previously - make sure to play with that if you haven’t yet. (Setting UI Scale to something low, yet text scale to something higher, allows you to make the UI look less bulky while maintaining readable text)

If that doesn’t solve all your new UI worries, please make sure to note them in the appropriate feedback thread, so that we can have another pass of issue fixing on it before the old one is no longer available.

Community Manager Role

As you might have noticed, with Retrograde’s announcement, the role of Community Relations Coordinator, and related assistant roles, have been changed to simple “Community Manager”. While it’s mostly semantics so far, the intention of this change is to have a less hierarchical structure that can just focus on the developer-player communication and other aspects of community relations, as well as make the position more suited to be occupied by more than a single person at once if such a need arises.

For now though, please welcome DemonaNightshade as our new Community Manager!
Please go easy on her, at least until she’s hooked in for good :)

Hopefully she’ll be handling the next news posts, and I can go back to the code basement.

Meadhalla

Make sure to check out Stanlee’s upcoming event, Meadhalla. Puns not optional!

That's it from me this week - thanks for your attention, and keep on Wurming!

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Samool said:

First is an improvement on animal keeping mechanics, slated for this spring (so not too far off!)

Is this related with Animal Taming, it really needs more love.

• Like 2

Cant wait for exploration update! hoping for bandit camps, treasure hunting, generally more things to do in the wilderness!

Combat Overhaul:

What about a filter option for combat spam so that I only see messages related to me (what i dish out and what i have to take) and not BS of all other players? Aside of being able to see messages really relevant to me it would especially in Rifts prolly cut down massively in server bandwidth needs?

Animal Keeping:

I'm not aware there have been any issues with animal keeping at all? I'm keeping a lot of animals including a champion troll without any problems and have no issues there.

How about making a few new wall types or something else people really want? For example arch-type walls that combine what people nowadays build as arch+(high iron) fence including a gate/door type of that kind?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Samool said:

improvement on animal keeping mechanics

Sounds ominous. Hope not in a bad way.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wyndolm said:

I'm not aware there have been any issues with animal keeping at all?

Oh - maybe pets quit escaping underground locked doors? and gates? .. would be nice. Also, pets stop attacking you when they are on other building lvls, another nice ish animal keeping thing would rock. So ya, there is room for improvements here, I guess. Like maybe grazers stop all moving toward the same darned corner of a wider area.

I am a little worried if you all start messing with the caring for mechanic, and accidently kill a bunch of cared for animals b4 u get the bugs worked out.

• Like 2

While I can't make specific comments, as an absolute critter lover in this game, I can confidently say the changes will be good :) Animal stuff has DESPERATELY needed changing for a long time. This is coming from someone who has tons and tons of critters, including a Champion zoo. Everyone always has to be so negative instead of giving a chance. There's new changes, new content, and it's going to be awesome :) I'm excited as heck to see where both of these updates can take us.

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Everyone always has to be so negative instead of giving a chance.

Over a decade of wurm experience is causing this.

I got 11 alts to take care for my horses, sheeps, two pairs of cows and 2-3 champion meows.

Guess i start making gravestones for my beloved horses i got since 10+ years and my sheepherd.

Edited by Beewolf
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beewolf said:

I got 11 alts to take care for my horses, sheeps, two pairs of cows and 2-3 champion meows.

Lol. I have 2 champion cats, 5 event big bison, a champion Cranberry Sauce (hell scorp), Champ Grinch (goblin), 7 champ deer, a champ scorp, a champ werewolf(wolf), 3 champ cavebugs, 6 champ dogs, a champ bear, a champ mountain lion, 3 different named holiday unicorns, and probably more I'm forgetting :) I'm not worried about this update, I'm excited. And I'm literally the person who cried real tears when I moved servers and my very first named holiday mob and the first of my critter collection died that I had had for 3 years.

Can't wait to see what's coming, sounds exciting! 

Welcome again @DemonaNightshade- I've still got the horse you gave me when you left Release all those years ago, he's being very well taken care of! :)

• Like 1

Thanks Bob :DGlad he's well cared for ❤️ been a year and a half, but does seem longer ^ ,^ I'm still missing Release but loving Inde very much.

• Like 1

Not knowing doodle about what the animal and exploration updates actually contain, still excited to see both :) Good job on leaving the code basement long enough to do the VI for now Samool!

• Like 1

Looking forward to that exploration update. I'm kind of disappointed in the whole combat update so far, I was honestly expecting some more content added to it but it seems like all we are getting is a more descriptive mode to a combat log disguised as an actual feature update.

Very happy for you Demona, may your reign bring prosperity and luster to these soiled lands. 😋

Edited by Legios
Mod edited out staff bashing
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Samool said:

First is an improvement on animal keeping mechanics, slated for this spring (so not too far off!)

You have my complete attention with regards to this matter.  Looking forward to seeing what the tweaks will be!

23 hours ago, Samool said:

Second will be an exploration themed update, planned to be released this summer.

Also excited to see what shape this takes.  And - gods above has it been fifteen years already?!  That has to put WO into a very special category of MMOs to have operated that long - particularly for such a small but devoted community.

• Like 1

Can we please have months, instead "spring" and "summer".  Were I am it is summer.  We only really have two seasons here, summer and not-quite summer.  North of me they have an entirely different two seasons, wet and dry.

Our "official" seasons change on different dates to other places, too, from what I read.

They only thing I know for sure is that neither of those releases will be happening in spring or summer for me (at least for everyone else, let's hope not).

I am looking forward to the exploration update, as long as it is more than just more MOB encounters.  What I am really hoping for is some kind of skill gains for exploration effort, and rewards for actually exploring.  Really exploring, moving around to see what there is to be seen - not just looking down at tiles repeatedly examining/investigating and watching a timer.  Special caves, areas that can't be seen from main roadways and waterways but take some "off the beaten path" wanderings to spot.  Shapes etc that can only be seen and appreciated (or even just plain discovered) from mountaintops.  That sort of stuff.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that exploration will have unexpected surprises along the way, not that there is a lack of surprises right now. But something like treasure chests, etc....

10 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Can we please have months, instead "spring" and "summer".  Were I am it is summer.  We only really have two seasons here, summer and not-quite summer.  North of me they have an entirely different two seasons, wet and dry.

CodeClub is located in the Northern Hemisphere, so it goes by those seasons. It should not be too hard to advance it by 2 seasons. Spring -> Autumn, Summer -> Winter. I get why they don't use months ( too specific ). They could use quarters. In that case, it would likely be Q2 for update 1 and Q3 for update 2.

I'm looking forward to all of these updates! Maybe the changes to animal keeping will actually get me to keep animals, but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

Could you please tell, can we expect a heatmap in the near future? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 12:04 AM, Wyndolm said:

Animal Keeping:

I'm not aware there have been any issues with animal keeping at all? I'm keeping a lot of animals including a champion troll without any problems and have no issues there.

How about making a few new wall types or something else people really want? For example arch-type walls that combine what people nowadays build as arch+(high iron) fence including a gate/door type of that kind?

THIS!

Breeding and keeping exotic animals is my favorite part of Wurm!  I love the mechanics of how it all works, from my 5 speed champion Croc to my 5 speed champion Unicorn and many others, this is my niche!

I realize it's not the most popular part of Wurm, but I love that about it too!  Please don't change it.  Small bugfixes would be appreciated, but please don't do a complete overhaul of how it all works.  It's a great system!

Edited by Koreal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Koreal said:

THIS!

Breeding and keeping exotic animals is my favorite part of Wurm!  I love the mechanics of how it all works, from my 5 speed champion Croc to my 5 speed champion Unicorn and many others, this is my niche!

I realize it's not the most popular part of Wurm, but I love that about it too!  Please don't change it.  Small bugfixes would be appreciated, but please don't do a complete overhaul of how it all works.  It's a great system!

What is he having, I'd like some of the same, make it 2, 3 mugs!

What are we complaining about AH being tied to Fo priest.. why were priests begging to be untied from crafting alts and other people for simple things, why is AH ties to Fo-es, why is it so hard to have a plain 5 speed horse at high AH skill or there's that urge to stab a newborn foal if it's rare color and 5-speed but with a bad trait, why..., what.., how is he so happy with 2x 5-speed champs and others can't enjoy the system the same way. I wonder. Maybe he's missing SOMETHING, or is that us..?

I am definitely looking for a combat overhaul and curious about the animal rework.

I hope we actually can breed "neutral animals" if they are raised by their owner. A domesticated lion wouldn't need to be tamed constantly in wurm if it was bred by a player and raised with care. Or a wildcat. Or any other animal.

Hope something like that is in the works. Would love to have a neutral/ friendly housecat that jumps and sleeps on the bed.

• Like 4

I just hope that my pet one day stop being a target magnet from aggressive monster when I go out with it. It's so annoying when a player runs at you with hell horses hitched to it's large cart and kills your pet, I wonder if devs really thought about this stuff... it just makes me want to smash my keyboard. Same for monsters that completely ignores you and focus on your pet from miles away.

• Like 2

Happy to see updates coming! I'm looking forward to the exploration updates the most :)