Sign in to follow this  
Cynndahl

Trying to right a wrong...

New player here... I am on Xanadu and while exploring, found what I thought was an abandoned deed since there was decayed pottery on the ground. I took some paws, teeth, and sprouts from a BSB, and when I tried to drop something I didn't want, I received a message that the guards won't allow it. I "then" checked and found it was an actual deed. 😕  

I couldn't put the stuff back so I went to the deed's perimeter and dropped the stuff there.

I checked Niarja for the player/deed and it looks like they just deeded it this month so they are probably new too. Like me, they may have thought an unlocked BSB on a deed is safe. It's possible someone else will pick up what I dropped on the perimeter. It wasn't anything valuable, but I feel bad.

I now know that an unlocked BSB doesn't mean it's abandoned, but I feel bad since they will think someone came to steal their stuff.  

They weren't online, and I wondered if there was a way to send them a message. Any way I can send them a message or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks all!

• Like 5

You could check to see if they have a forum account and send them a message there. Alternatively, you could mail them something and label it “PM Cynndahl” (or whatever your in-game name is). There’s no way to send an offline in-game PM. 

Thanks Bakhita - I couldn't find a forum account, but will send them something as you suggest and see if they respond. Thanks so much!

I liked this. I don't know where on Xanadu you are, but if you need anything, feel free to contact me (same name ingame). Congratulations for your choice of our Xanadu.

Always so cool to see good honest people.  That's one special feature about Wurm we see time and time again.  It often feels like this 'goodness' is designed or coded-in somehow. :) 

Thanks Ekcin and Muse - I wish I felt like a good person, but can't help but wonder what this poor new player will think about losing the creature droppings they worked hard for (or if they find them on the perimeter, I hope it's before they decay). Lesson learned for me - always check the ground before assuming it's abandoned.

On another note, I sent them flowers, but it didn't give me the option to write PM Cynndahl or write anything. Now they may wonder who their stalker is! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cynndahl said:

but it didn't give me the option to write PM Cynndahl or write anything

You need to rename the item you send. Limited characters, but it's something :) 

1 hour ago, neopherus said:

You need to rename the item you send. Limited characters, but it's something :) 

Oh, I wouldn't have guessed that! Thanks Neopherus! :)

You  show great character and a rarified trait of Honesty.  Not only to be conscientious of another player's game experience, but then the courage to publicly post on the forums of it.  That's a kind of person easy to like, commend, and encourage to stay-play-be part of the wurm community,.

If you are able to contact this player, shoot me pm with contact info, I'd gladly log in and make them whole and then some.   As for you and your integrity, shoot me a forums pm with your needs /wish list and I'll gladly log in and make for you very nice quality whether it armor, tools, weapons.  A great way to send you into the lands with a good fighting chance and a proper leg up into your wurm story/experience/journey.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 4

You can actually mail them a letter in game to explain what happened. Use a reed pen filled with dye or ink on a paper or papyrus sheet.

make a crate in perimeter, push the crate ondeed(no need to send mails around)

#hackerman #BSBcontentReturned

(watch random next person come by and repeat taking stuff from the bsb and the crate.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Thanks all - Right as I was logging out, I saw the player pop into local so I quickly logged back and PM'd them. They laughed and said all is well - said a GM let them know about it (guess the GM saw the post and looked up my log to see where I was frantically dropping things (grin)). The player said they took over the deed a couple weeks back - sounds like they aren't new or worried at all about the sprouts, teeth and paws (lol). I was so relieved and was humbled when they asked ME to let them know if there is anything I need!

In all my many years playing games, I've never come across a community like this. Wish I would have known about Wurm years ago, and looking forward to living in this wonderful world. I've even roped in family, and we have an alliance with a few deeds close by so it is truly like an extension of real life (yep, there are trolls in my real life too, but at least in game I can get rid of them). :)

Thanks again for the feedback - I now know some ways to right a wrong even thought my goal is not to have to in the future. I am really looking forward to the years ahead as I improve my skills and deed. It is going to be such a great journey!

• Like 3

I thought BSBs were safe on deed? They must've changed a setting in their deed options to let you pick up stuff. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

That was exactly what I had thought too (after this happened, I added locks to my deed's BSBs just in case). Wonder if it's because he re-deeded and the BSBs that were there lost their permissions. Don't know, but happy to have learned not to assume in the future. :D

It is definitely a permission issue on the deed or the building if the BSB was inside. It is not very straightforward to set all the permissions, I advise you to go on the strict side and remove all permissions which you are unsure about for non-citizen and even allies. If a permission turns out to be missing later you can always reenable that one.

Usually I allow improve/repair on deed though for everyone, it is really silly that without it players cannot even repair stuff in their inventory.

Welcome around!

39 minutes ago, Jaz said:

It is definitely a permission issue on the deed or the building if the BSB was inside. It is not very straightforward to set all the permissions, I advise you to go on the strict side and remove all permissions which you are unsure about for non-citizen and even allies. If a permission turns out to be missing later you can always reenable that one.

Usually I allow improve/repair on deed though for everyone, it is really silly that without it players cannot even repair stuff in their inventory.

Welcome around!

Thanks Jaz!