Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Combat Overhaul Testing

Needs more UI elements to let you know how the battles going, reading the combat spam output is really irritating.

Why not overlay on top the screen an arrow of their new direction of attack? or improve animations to see which way they're attacking?

Would be nice if they're trying something that you could react to in bullet time.

This update seems like a minor patch onto an already outdated system.

Edited by phennexion

40 minutes ago, phennexion said:

reading the combat spam output is really irritating.

My initial though was "I hope there is an option to turn that off". But, sadly there isn't. Think I would have preferred to have any text remain in the combat window, but have a way of filtering what is being shown there.

Even more irritating is that the text from special moves is not integrated in with the combat text, rather than overlaid separately across the screen, and obscuring the combat text.

I exptected a full combat overhaul with more of an engaging and skill based combat system :(

Edited by Sn00
  • Like 5

Patch for the combat changes was released on test just now, changelog below:

Spoiler

Added an option to disable in-world combat text
Blood damage overlay was significantly toned down, it should no longer appear with minor wounds

Active special move cooldowns will show as a tooltip in the special move description

Cooldowns of special moves were significantly reduced
Special move cast timers were slightly reduced
Bleed effects were increased slightly, the lower tier ones have a reduced effectivity compared to the higher tier moves
Fixed autofight not using the defensive stances properly
Players can now land critical hits against creatures

Critical hits now deal 150% of original hit damage
Fixed an issue where special moves would show in the combat window despite not being able to use them

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Samool said:

Patch for the combat changes was released on test just now, changelog below:

Hide contents

Blood damage overlay was significantly toned down, it should no longer appear with minor wounds

Active special move cooldowns will show as a tooltip in the special move description

Cooldowns of special moves were significantly reduced
Special move cast timers were slightly reduced
Bleed effects were increased slightly, the lower tier ones have a reduced effectivity compared to the higher tier moves
Fixed autofight not using the defensive stances properly
Players can now land critical hits against creatures
Fixed an issue where special moves would show in the combat window despite not being able to use them

Can you confirm, this means crit chances are planned to be enabled on Freedom?

2 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Can you confirm, this means crit chances are planned to be enabled on Freedom?

Yes, critical hits will be enabled on PvE with this update. The balance of those is still up for tweaking, but critical hits are now a damage modifier, dealing 150% of original damage (that was missing in that changelog, will add it now)

• Like 5
  • Cat 1

Any chance we see Archery, dual wielding, and weaponless fighting get some love. Even if just for ###### and giggles 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joemog said:

I dont like the direction of aiming mattering more.

Agree very much. I don't get how to manually control the fight system. Would it be that hard to give us a chart that informs what action we need to take to best counter the opponents action? Blocking seems obvious, block where ever opponent aim. But what about stances, where should I aim given where opponent is blocking, factor in damage boosts from things like head and crotch hits.

All this complication is now compounded given the the AI will make mobs try to find optimal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samool said:

Nice to have the option added, but I don't see this option in the Mac client (4.2.36). Did find a setting that disables the critter health bar on hover, and while fighting, but that is probably not something new...

I see the old blood effect has returned to the Mac client, but is toned down so that it is not that noticeable even a very low health. Probably needs some tuning so that it obscures to the same extent as new effect.

So, there is no option to launch the test server from the steam client?  We have to download a different client to try out the changes on the test server?

Edited by UnclePyron

Is there any chance weapon will be re balanced with this update? Maybe looking into the crit rare of certain weapons, what rarity does, the dps of the weapons?

I will be on test in GM form, for the next 5-7 hours, to assist with anything needed!

On 2/17/2021 at 2:21 AM, Samool said:

To access the combat public testing on the test server, you need to use the “Choose Client” shortcut of the Wurm Online launcher, and select “Test Preview” (this is only available on the new UI) - if you don’t have that shortcut, you might have to reinstall the launcher and make sure you have the relevant checkboxes filled in the installation process.

Is this "Choose Client" available on the Linux client (the tar.gz file)?

I've just re-downloaded that archive file and looked inside, WurmLauncher is dated the same as the one that I already have (11/07/2019).

7 hours ago, UnclePyron said:

So, there is no option to launch the test server from the steam client?  We have to download a different client to try out the changes on the test server?

Yes, you need to download the test client in order to connect to the test server. 

Some info from the wiki:

Test client : This is a complete, separate testing system, with the latest test versions of both the client and server codes. There's three islands (clones so they look similar), and they are periodically reset, so it's not a good place to actually play and try to build in. Often, newer changes are only partially implemented, and encountering bugs is to be expected. That said, it's a way for players to look at and test the newest changes that are being made to Wurm Online.

38 minutes ago, Kyu said:

Is this "Choose Client" available on the Linux client (the tar.gz file)?

I've just re-downloaded that archive file and looked inside, WurmLauncher is dated the same as the one that I already have (11/07/2019).

We don't have launch shortcuts on Linux, but running the client with a "-c" argument will have the same effect.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

Nice to have the option added, but I don't see this option in the Mac client (4.2.36). Did find a setting that disables the critter health bar on hover, and while fighting, but that is probably not something new...

I see the old blood effect has returned to the Mac client, but is toned down so that it is not that noticeable even a very low health. Probably needs some tuning so that it obscures to the same extent as new effect.

It's in the UI tab of the settings, though it seems only in the in-game part of it. We'll add it to the launcher settings as well.

is there in-game legend what these icons mean, as for me it's cryptic what the sheep's + icon means.. saw same on a wolf.. later same wolf had a sword icon, are wolves armed with blades now.. it's just not explained what's what and when it changes or for what reason, situation etc 

---edit

will be good to have this explained in the game .. rather than open wiki or google doc like for cooking and highway system and educate in such way..

Edited by Finnn

Just quick opinions of 5 minutes messing about.

- Not a fan of getting bounced around so quickly that I lose sight of whatever I was reading. It seems almost like I'm glitching or lagging in some way, rather than an effect.
- Too much text - would prefer some sort of shorthand or symbols appearing in the world window and the more verbose descriptions left to the combat window. 
- Direction arrows are almost lost behind the UI.

1 hour ago, Samool said:

We don't have launch shortcuts on Linux, but running the client with a "-c" argument will have the same effect.

Thank you! This works for me.

Are there more icons than just the Red and Green difficulty indicators for the mobs? If there is yellow, I am having a hard time discerning between that and green.

>Im red green colorblind...

Also seem to have an issue with the UI not updating the target window. Select window occasionally drops off as well and goes back to nothing selected.

jL1UWdO.png

Unsure if this is intentional, but whenever you focus or shield bash and then immediately press a part to aim it overrides the timer in the event window, but it still tries to focus or shield bash instead of switching aim.

I could also suggest, whenever already targeting a part make the selection unable to target again (could display a message of "You're already targeting x"), until you switch to another part

Nice system+UI, I can still hold a troll with spear+cloth armor (didn't die), so that is great.

Some remarks:

- Sometimes the focus status on the fighting interface is not up-to-date: showing full from a previous fight, but actually it was zero.

- I do not see the circular indicator much for some reason (perhaps due to the camera setting).

- Perhaps, the shaking effect could have been smoother or if there is an option to disable it.

- It could be great if special moves do more damage than just the effect like right now.

Edited by Kyu

8 hours ago, Samool said:

It's in the UI tab of the settings, though it seems only in the in-game part of it. We'll add it to the launcher settings as well.

That will be good. Though, unchecking 'Show  in-world combat log' currently has no effect, even after a client restart.

As an aside, it might be an idea to look at launcher and in game settings and bring them inline with each other. There currently appear to be a number of differences.

---

Looking at the saved gamesettings file, unchecking the setting does not change "combat_world_text=true" to "false". Also manually changing it and reloading has no effect on the text showing.

Edited by Wulfmaer

I was hoping this WOULDN'T be a overhaul as i love wurm pvp combat but i welcome more visual feed back instead of text and the changes don't seem to be anything drastic away from what we know wurm combat involves so as I read some dissapointment from the otherside I'd just like to say there is a side that likes that part.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mclavin said:

I was hoping this WOULDN'T be a overhaul as i love wurm pvp combat but i welcome more visual feed back instead of text and the changes don't seem to be anything drastic away from what we know wurm combat involves so as I read some dissapointment from the otherside I'd just like to say there is a side that likes that part.

couldnt +1 this any harder

• Like 1