Sign in to follow this  
Davih

Please do something to address, even temporarily, the unique-slaying situation

35 minutes ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

even champion uniques are a joke, I would like to see them bigger and stronger. no longer killable with 10 alts. make it so, you need the whole server, a real map boss. i would like to see more tank rotations, more healers, more damage needed. and about the drop, i have no idea.

you could make it obvious when one spawns, sounds that travel across the entire server, make them unable to be penned, fix the loot distribution and i believe, this could be a fun event. it could even bring more life to the poor death tab :P

I would love that idea on top of the existing mechanics, but not as a replacement, for example in the way that a champion, or a venerable champion, or a grandmaster arch-unique or so only would be above all the usual mechanics, would require lot more effort and participants, be ways more risky, and provide ways more reward. 

remove the drops and you get unique points, kinda like rifts, then you can use it to buy the tome, the bone, the skull or whatever on the unique store at the mailbox or at the hunters guide npc or something.  you still have to balance the points and how you get points and all that

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Well, if you think that my "almost everyone" is a lie, which is anyway debatable, you can call it misleading, or an assumption, but i don't think it can be classified as toxic...
I never agreed to someone using 3rd party tools, i only stated that the tools you need to master in order to predict the spawn are not inside the game, i specified after that that i was referring to Niarja / similar stuff, not to a "software" , i could never agree with something i had no idea of in the first place.

you might not like "some of my proposals" and i get that, that's exactly why i have made more than one proposal, so that we/they can pick one out of many that seems the most appropriate as a solution to the problem, there's nothing wrong with not liking one or even most of them.

I never hosted a unique, but we did help a friend at setting up a public one, so i know the amount of work behind it, it's not easy, but there are far worse things in wurm in terms of amount of work

1 hour ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

even champion uniques are a joke, I would like to see them bigger and stronger. no longer killable with 10 alts. make it so, you need the whole server, a real map boss. i would like to see more tank rotations, more healers, more damage needed. and about the drop, i have no idea.

you could make it obvious when one spawns, sounds that travel across the entire server, make them unable to be penned, fix the loot distribution and i believe, this could be a fun event. it could even bring more life to the poor death tab :P

+1 to this! 

Making them so strong that they can't be killed by less than 100 people is a laughable solution, but i'ts also awesome in its simplicity. It's probably going to be hard to balance it though, unless you add some very dumb check like evade everything if there aren't at least X characters targetting it because the target is so fast/strong that it can just dodge/block everything, lol"

rather have public event that people go to.. and isn't organized by anyone.. rifts are ok.. if only the spawn times weren't (will use that colorful but best describing word for it) GARBAGE, people have most time on the weekends..

bdo had disco-balls.. fishing and specific mobs were dropping tablet pieces which you collect - combine and can use as summoning scroll at specific location

while some might call it bad.. it's ideal, gives small and bigger groups, friends, alliances, kingdoms the option to gather and spawn some stuff to beat up and receive some loot.. which for wurm could be just POINTS and be limites to xx people so 50-100s.. of alts wont be that optimal per event. (originally event gives reward only to the spawner.. who could solo it or party with other to help it kill it faster or get carried); parties are still a thing so the group crunches through the bosses faster.

example what I talk about below:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Davih said:

Over the years i got used to being hated from random parts of the community for bringing up stuff that nobody wanted to have brought up, so i guess i can take some more random hate and drama by opening this kind of threads, rest assured that most people don't even want to touch this kind of stuff, because, like i said, toxicity and sour feelings are all over the place, if you don't believe me, i'll try to sleep at night anyway, but we are clearly playing different games.

Davih, while I may disagree with you, I definitely do not hate you, or bear you any ill will whatsoever.  If I ever start hating people or bearing them ill will because of their views about pixelated dragons in an imaginary world, somebody please just cart me off to the loony bin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

remove the drops and you get unique points, kinda like rifts, then you can use it to buy the tome, the bone, the skull or whatever on the unique store at the mailbox or at the hunters guide npc or something.  you still have to balance the points and how you get points and all that

+1

8 minutes ago, Minnie said:

Davih, while I may disagree with you, I definitely do not hate you, or bear you any ill will whatsoever.  If I ever start hating people or bearing them ill will because of their views about pixelated dragons in an imaginary world, somebody please just cart me off to the loony bin.

It's not like i'm making stuff up, i guess you wouldn't believe some of the things i've seen, lol.

10 hours ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

I am not sure that this is a good idea, though I see the advantages. But it would need a lot of recoding, fine tuning, and balancing, which spells new bugs and new series of complaints from the usual suspects. It would also kill a lot of the fun activities during public slayings like potion service if not public slayings altogether.

Rifts are frequently slammed as time gated, though their mechanics guarantee that all timezones get a chance, and not using it causes fast transition to next one. There have been many complaints about point systems (the whining about alleged targeters and point leechers during rifts, loudest by those I rarely if ever met there, as an abhorrent example). How many grams of scale is a blood worth, every blood like the other? A can of worms. And mind you, there have been eternal complaints about source springs, and what we got was worse than even the obscene source huts.

So, sorry to say -1, better the devil we know. And the devil, is he all that bad? 😎

Back to your proposal of much stronger uniques requiring 100 combattants or so. I would find it interesting if limited to at most 1 unique per month, or at most biweekly per cluster, not per server, while preserving the current mechanic allowing normal penning, public and private slayings. I would miss and lose a lot when the further would be killed. And I fail to see that 100+ combattants could be mobilized each week or so.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

14 hours ago, Nadroj said:

At least when there were announcements and you could use spells or pendulums to find them there were legit ingame ways of helping pin down unique locations. The way it's been changed now means its 10x more difficult, which would be fine if anyone here genuinely believes that noone out there at all has any kind of 3rd party program assistance assisting them. It's all well and good to moderate the posts here to remove accusations but the fact is the community believes these things exist. Some people feel its incredibly blatant even if it hasn't been proven and so it feels pointless to hunt. I have no doubt some people put in very extensive hours to genuinely go out and hunt for uniques but i also 10000% believe those people are fighting a battle with those who don't need to look.

+1

15 hours ago, Nadroj said:

At least when there were announcements and you could use spells or pendulums to find them there were legit ingame ways of helping pin down unique locations. The way it's been changed now means its 10x more difficult, which would be fine if anyone here genuinely believes that noone out there at all has any kind of 3rd party program assistance assisting them. It's all well and good to moderate the posts here to remove accusations but the fact is the community believes these things exist. Some people feel its incredibly blatant even if it hasn't been proven and so it feels pointless to hunt. I have no doubt some people put in very extensive hours to genuinely go out and hunt for uniques but i also 10000% believe those people are fighting a battle with those who don't need to look.

It is indeed possible to make it easier to spot uniques no more details.

To have a more rational base for a discussion, I counted the dragons and hatchlings slain from end of August, 2020 to now. I counted from the start of Stanlee's and his friends' initiative to improve public slaying events. Since then, if I counted correctly, 24 dragons and 37 dragon hatchlings have been slain. 8 dragon and 5 hatchling slayings thereof were public. Also, 2 Troll Kings and 2 Kyklops were slain in public, all in all 17 public slayings (of 100 unique slayings) in about 5 1/2 months.

My conclusion is that it is not a bad figure, and ways more than in the months and years before. And I think that encourageing public slayings is the right way, rather than panicking over "the unique slaying situation".

5 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I counted the dragons and hatchlings slain from end of August, 2020

+1 for objective data

8 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

My conclusion is that it is not a bad figure, and ways more than in the months and years before. And I think that encourageing public slayings is the right way, rather than panicking over "the unique slaying situation".

how is "not even 20%, and most of those on old servers" not a bad figure? o.O

This isn't panicking, this is more like exhaustion, seeing we are still pretty much in the same situation as several years ago and nothing really changed, despite the tons of suggestions and ways to make this at least a bit better.
And how exactly would you encourage people to do public dragons while the old rule of everyone in local stealing your scales still applies? They have no real reason to do that expect going full generous and basically giving away most of their loot after finding the dragon.

It means an average of over 3 slayings per month. There is a limit at least for organized public slayings due to preparation, announcement, and date requirements, and also players' willingness to travel to events. There are usually no more than 4 weekends per months, and too many events may cripple participation. Btw, the higher ratio of publicly slain dragons buttresses Almostssolitude's idea of extra hard uniques (though I would advise not to overdo).  It is a bit sad, though, that so few non dragon slayings are public.

Edited by Ekcin

There are far more old servers than new servers, and far more people on new servers than on old ones, the average of 3 slayings per month isn't really taking in consideration this, the problem is going to be felt way more on new servers, where, just saying, most of the new players are.

Also, even not considering the amount of players, the amount of bloods/ already imbued tools and drake/scale sets on the old servers, where most of those events take place, is vastly superior to the one of the new ones.

Edited by Davih

Data for NFI:

• server public private  first slaying
  • Har          3         4             Nov 12
  • Mel          4         6             Oct  25
  • Cad          5         1            Oct  16
  • Def           ? of 7                Oct    4   (slayings are factional)

What is felt there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ekcin said:

Data for NFI:

• server public private  first slaying
  • Har          3         4             Nov 12
  • Mel          4         6             Oct  25
  • Cad          5         1            Oct  16
  • Def           ? of 7                Oct    4   (slayings are factional)

What is felt there?

Are you counting all the non-dragons uniques?

I'm sorry this is probably my fault because i've never should have called this thread "uniques" but just dragons, it was pretty obvious from the content of the thread that i always just referred to those in pretty much all my arguments and suggestions

let me count those for you:

NFI cluster since beginning (not defiance)

Hatchlings: 2 public 6 private
Dragons:  1 public 5 private
Other uniques: 10 public 0 private 

This kinda proves my point further, if anything... people have no problems making those events public if they aren't losing anything

Other uniques : basically no loss
hatchlings : sizeable loss
dragons: huge loss

Edited by Davih

It would be nice if we can have Samool or Demona weight in on this thread - it's obviously a popular issue and some acknowledgement would be nice 😃

Edited by Rocklobster

Jumping to the next attempt. There have been 1 public dragon and 2 public hatchlings vs 3 private dragons and 6 hatchlings  in about 4 months. The dragon/drake ratio no worse than on SFI, given the rarity and sky high prices of hides and scales not a bad result. Also given the large number of public slayings altogether. The dragon/drake ration alone is even better than on SFI which is surprising.

So I fail to see the problem other than that "a scale or drake set for every player" won't work. Should it?

I see a few people campaigning, and few facts if you don't push their nose into. I shall stop to feed that non problem.

3 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Jumping to the next attempt. There have been 1 public dragon and 2 public hatchlings vs 3 private dragons and 6 hatchlings  in about 4 months.

There has been 1 public vs 5 private dragons in total, why do you have to alter the time-frame and reduce an already small sample? For no other reason than have your statistic look better on an arbitrary specific time frame? lol

5 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I see a few people campaigning, and few facts if you don't push their nose into. I shall stop to feed that non problem.

This isn't campaigning, this is an actual and obvious problem,  saying "campaigning" is just a silly way to try and dimish the motives without adding anything to the confrontation.

The facts are and have always been obvious, you've tried to manipulate them twice to make them look better than they actually are, what are you "pushing my nose" into exactly? Distorted interpretations?

• Like 1