Sign in to follow this  
Smwoodburn

Bandit Camps! PVE stuffs

I see what you're getting at, lot of questions to be answered.  Addressing the first one on your list, the whole game is set up on random and wandering spawn so and what your mentioning is no different from the garbage piles/ troll mounds that already spawn but they have to be destroyed before deeds can be thrown down and LOTS OF room on all the many servers we have.

Second, Lots of room on the servers , and the troll , crocodile mounds , and 'pile' spawners are still in place would still far  outnumber what I'm thinking about.

Third, anyone who clears the area, yes I see where you could be going with this, maybe someone lures off the mobs while another whos waiting, hidden runs in and grabs the stash, could happen but , still more gameplay with it than without. I would like it to be after the mobs are cleared out, and they already have two mechanisms in place at Rifts and Slayings with submenus that look at %hits and number of hits and presences could base it off that, especially Rift scenarios.

Fourth,  I haven't seen anyone wall off a Rift, however I have seen organized slayings that has been done at, but more-so to not let the unique leave the area or run away. I have seen walls at deed drops though(people protecting their share of the pie ( that could be addressed too if it gets answered with this. Also "tackle with a couple of their friends" is a great idea here, not necessarily meant to be soloed, could be an area effect like the Rifts, the more people the tougher and more mobs could be spawned, Now you gave me the idea of Micro-Rifts coming into to play leading up to the main Rift event. Scouter camps that tell of the "Great Rift" to come. (could denote where an eventual Rift may occur kinda like the Missions aspect of the game if not using that theme to deliver. "Rogue Rift/ Bandit/ Troll/ Enemy Camps have been spotted around F-H, 15-17. Just getting to energy here going...some system like that. Players will be players regardless of what you do to the game, programmers and GM's are always having to address PVP server bans and issues already anyway and players that abuse macros.

Now, good questions, my add was to toss new ideas out there, and enhance a venue of gameplay, not to say "Wurm is boring as it is, make me something new."(I love this game and where they have been taking it). But I am a person who dumps money in this game too, and it seems to me, I can post ideas freely here , with respect.

• Like 2

this would be where the waves come in maybe 3 waves of spawn after first the next spawn in in 10 minutes maybe even an hour or , possibly half day to balance out preventing too many from appearing or people going to all of these they would have to focus on a couple or an area of them. but, this would be a great time to recover and get ready for the next fight. after the 2nd wave is the boss wave depending on the details size of fallen deed/ tower time lapsed since spawning, determines strength and type of final boss.... 

Okay, say its a simple 10x 10 deed falls and is immediately attacked finally boss will be a champ troll with a chest key drop to single chest with a few items maybe a bsb or crate of 1 rss 300 items average quality or 1 crate 3 items 100 each item average quality. then a 25x25 deed immediately is a champ elder troll and 2 lava fiend guards with 1 large chest key on troll and 1 small chest key on 1 of the fiends maybe a crate of mats or other goods etc higher ql with maybe a rare item not end game value though. then a 50x50 deed with 2 champ venerable trolls  2 aged hell hounds, 1 aged Lava Fiend 2 keys 2 lg chests few items (higher chance of a rare item not drastically higher though) and 2 crates various rss avg quality. 75

Now time span "its been 1 month since a deed fell in this area and the bandits have moved in to claim the land as their own" now  it's moved up to the 25x25 strength listed above.

now time span "Its been 3 months since a deed fell in this area and the bandits have moved in to claim the land as their own" now it's  moved up to the 50x50 strength listed above

Now time span "Its been 6 months...

Now time span "Its been 1 year....

at 1 year  a Unique is spawned turning the area into a nest or Lair  for that creature who claimed the loot gathered by the bandits after slaughtering them and seeks power over the realm.

just an idea? :)

after 1 year its been sitting there probably something up high in the mountains and becomes a quest type "Vynora calls upon her most faithful to slay the evil plaguing the land and preying upon the weak, Will you answer her call fair warrior?"

From then on the unique gains more health so it takes longer to kill making the fight longer and allowing people more of a chance to learn how to last in long-lasting battles such as multiple foes in pvp? giving them more experience and helping them also learn how to coordinate with other allies in the battle 5 in 5 out healing switch.

So many more things you can do with this. It just takes the time to think it out and plan how to work the schematics.

• Like 3

Bandit camps would be super for the game, randomly generated just clumps of bandits around campfires / tents with chests you can loot. Doesn't even need to be high end gear or mats, could be for noobs or low fight skilled players just out hunting, decent ql weps/tools/armor , maybe some gems for priests or stash of cotton/veggies/forage stuff. low ql ores already smelted.. things of the sort.

I think treasure hunting would be a good thing also, as in treasure hunting from Ultima Online .. you find maps out in the world (maybe from bandit camp chests?) just a picture with nothing else (maybe can include a server name to make it a tad easier) and you would have to go and dig it up, pick the lock, and there would be some nice items waiting for you. maybe some low to mid ql enchanted gear /tools /gems/cloth/ores, with digging up the chest could have a couple of mobs spawned depending on how many people are in the vicinity around the chest - more people = more mobs.. trolls/goblins/lava fiends/bandits

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dalheim said:

Bandit camps would be super for the game, randomly generated just clumps of bandits around campfires / tents with chests you can loot. Doesn't even need to be high end gear or mats, could be for noobs or low fight skilled players just out hunting, decent ql weps/tools/armor , maybe some gems for priests or stash of cotton/veggies/forage stuff. low ql ores already smelted.. things of the sort.

My suggestion revolved around the idea of finding a mish-mash of items as rewards.

Probably the hardest thing to code would be the loot distribution in such a scenario but my thoughts were:

Depending on bandit camp size & strength:

1. 1-10 Tools of various ql and materials.

2. 1-3 enchanted weapons with random (but logical) enchantments.

3. A few pieces of armor.

4. Small % chance to get a moonmetal lump of varying ql.

5. Super low chance of finding a rare item or a rare bone.

6. A few coppers ranging to 10-20 coppers to 1 silver max.

7. If the bandit camp is in its "end stage", aka it's been around for more than 1 year, there is also a small 10%-20% chance to get some drake hide / scales.

The idea was to make them appealing for older players but newer players as well. Newer players could potentially group up to tackle one camp and perhaps get some items they wouldn't normally get at their level but their effort would be rewarded nonetheless.

For older players, the reward could be in the potential gain or rare items, although as stated, the chance would be low, 1% or 2%.

• Like 1

Treasure Hunts have been suggested before and I'm all for them. :)

Still liking the bandit camp ideas too!

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Xor said:

In theory you wouldn’t be able to deed that spot right away.. as the deed that popped will have buildings in the way. . But not always, and this is a legitimate concern I suppose. I myself wouldn’t care and would argue it would be like wanting to deed a spot with a troll spawn, or even unluckily a unique.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean, but deeding over a unique is what happens now and why I asked the question, if the rewards where high enough people will deed over it to save it for a "private" killing. With regards a troll spawn I did deed over one as it was great to have a handy supply of trolls to hunt, my deed was way out on its own at the time, was fun.

The idea is an interesting one and if it can be brought in game without causing drama I am all for it, more content is always good.

• Like 1

Camps could also give purpose to lock picking and stealing on PvE. 

• Like 3

Sounds like fun for people so inclined. But what if such an ex-deed is on a highway? It could be quite the hindrance to people who don't want to get involved. It would be a challenge for a while, but could become a big nuisance. How about limiting the time the bandits dig through the remains? A week or two maybe? Leaves enough time for Wurmian Warriors to get there, but won't block the site and its surroundings forever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myriad said:

Sounds like fun for people so inclined. But what if such an ex-deed is on a highway? It could be quite the hindrance to people who don't want to get involved. It would be a challenge for a while, but could become a big nuisance. How about limiting the time the bandits dig through the remains? A week or two maybe? Leaves enough time for Wurmian Warriors to get there, but won't block the site and its surroundings forever. 

that is a good point as well and these would be the ones noticed first obviously which is when either people traveling through that area would either take it out solo or with friends or if its too difficult they would post in freedom chat location  and others like myself Bandit hunters would come and clear it out

1 hour ago, bigtree said:

Camps could also give purpose to lock picking and stealing on PvE. 

Yes this would make use of it not only in pve but allow people to work on that skill to then use on pvp as well

On 2/18/2021 at 1:49 PM, Smwoodburn said:

that is a good point as well and these would be the ones noticed first obviously which is when either people traveling through that area would either take it out solo or with friends or if its too difficult they would post in freedom chat location  and others like myself Bandit hunters would come and clear it out

Even more motivation for multiple deeds / strangers to group up as a bandit extermination team. 

it's how many friendships are forged in wurm. You see a new player struggling with a troll, you might just taunt the troll to let him escape. Or viceversa. Adversity breeds strong relationships. 

• Like 3

casual wurm player hides ondeed and shakes at the thought or picture of a bear.. 

probably more than half the wurm population is like that.. not fighting a troll unless it attacks them.. and they somewhat have the skill to fight it..

what helps this paranoia to run and not fight mobs.. is that gear is trash and skills are meme, at 99fs and proper armor .. you can still be killed by champion mob if it randomly starts the fight capped on focus(because for wurm's wogic it's ok and awesomely fun for this nonsense to be a thing); which creates the .. gear and skill vs creatures completely unpredictable scenarios.. you can not just tell a new player that ql50 weapon and 40ql armor will be fine vs a spider, shouldn't be vs a champ kind.. etc..

fighting events will work best is they are predictable for their location and time.. else you'll get bunch of sad faces of people being ganked by the random spawns.. might as well enable the tornados, thunderstorm and meteors to destroy deeds and housing at that point to unleash the rng pve grief

just my 2 coppers 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Finnn said:

else you'll get bunch of sad faces of people being ganked by the random spawns.. might as well enable the tornados, thunderstorm and meteors to destroy deeds and housing at that point to unleash the rng pve grief

just my 2 coppers 

Counterpoint: Freedom is very sanitized when it comes to danger. After urbanization occurs, roads and highways are made and deeds spawned everywhere, the "wild" aspect is lost. It's less of a survival challenge and more of a gardening chore to kill animals in your area. 

Prune the trees, water the flowerbeds, rake the fields then kill the hostile animals around my deed (which is in itself akin to pulling weeds). 

Wurm doesn't have a lot of danger on Freedom. Used to be in the past on Epic the scary bits were Nogumps/ Eaglespirits/ Drakespirits. Those things spawned anywhere and you could find yourself wanting to deliver some cotton to an ally village , then suddenly this 2 headed champ giant threw you off your cart and that was that.

At least it was fun. In a way "unpredictable" gameplay is good cause it instills danger. Danger in itself is what you cannot predict. 

As for gameplay mechanics I agree, it's a bit too RNG but I can tell you at 90+ FS and 90 weps and shield you DO limit that RNG by a lot. Rifts are supposed to be challenging. Champs are supposed to be challenging. 

It's what the game is... a casual game.. and people love that part, if you want FS - you have to kill a literal ####ton of mobs to get the tiny gains.. while 1 death can cost you half a day to a week to grind it back..(I N S A N E!); it's stupid af.. but it's the game we play..

(pvp) If anybody wanted the challenge .. they were to play on chaos/epic/defiance or w/e.. they just do not.. the pvp and full loot bullsh.. is just not for everybody;

(pve) as it is .. mobs wreck most of the people and they just shell in their deeds, most are unstilled and escape any form of grinding which puts them in worse position with low skill and slow actions, inability to do so much or waste their time with failrates on simple things.

NOBODY wants danger on freedom.. almost nobody wants the pvp dangers, casual pve game for the most part.
The fighting aspect in the game and the rewards are a meme, no special creature loot, no champion specific loot.

rifts are not challenging.. you're just fighting a ton of mobs that have super high cr/dr and you rng more to hit them.. look at what a mag/lib priest goes with mm weapon and elemental damage stacking.. compared to normal players not using such or having the +2cr bonus.. incomparable damage output.. and a meta is born #Sadge

We can't force challenges on people with the super high death penalty in pve, make it so we could use alchemy elixir to instantly recover or add 5x skill regain for lost fs from your previous cap(like any other skill normally have 3x);

you can easily add random events later which put players in danger.. and players will be more willing to risk going in.. lets kill the fun.. make it so these elixirs just cost an arm and leg.. use moonmetals etc.. just so it is 'fun' and it costs a LOT to almost never be used.. #WeCantHaveFun

It's a lot of things.. we still lack the lore of the game.. the idea for it.. what the feel from it should be.. and we post suggestions.. than there's no staff feedback on any of the suggestions. Development on any kind of new events died with rifts 4-5 years ago, it's all about tweaks and removing content to balance it to the vanilla from 7years ago. NO reasoning behind that coming out besides 'balance'.

It's hard to suggest something that fits in a shapeshifting game which tends to not grow in any direction and you can't see it's form to try and fit a piece of content somehow.

5244637c5c5ac90bd11ec4ba13632176.jpg

• Like 2

well bandits are human so.... let them give you FS gain without the negative buff from pve/pvp thing? but that might incide farming them....

and we're not talking filling the server with them danger. no sealmageddon type event... just a few left and right like a lair does. or a miniraid. have to agree for getting some challenge and danger back in a bit... plus fightingwise there's a big gap i feel.. its either simple easy fights like spider and wolf and bears. then huge gap to trolls... would be nice to have some more things in the middle

• Like 1

I do like the idea of having some more fighting actions than just hunting mobs or participating in Rifts which is not an option with my fighting skill atm.

Also love the idea of connecting that to archaeology. But I do see how having bandits all over your deed just because your neighbor decided to disband his/her deed could become a nuisance.

So why not have these bandit towers in another dimension, aka the past. What if you could find 'special tiles' by doing archaeology, that would open the gate to that other dimension so you could choose to enter and fight the bandits. Or you could make an event of it by inviting friends/fellow islanders and defeat the bandits together. This way the 'here and now' wurm would remain unchanged, but Wurmians could 'relive' the past by defeating the bandits and getting some loot.

The number of bandits and their strenght could be disclosed on discovery of the tile, so the person that discovers it could decide wether to enter on their own of call for backup and enter the portal together.

To make it accecable for noobs like me the strenght of the bandits could even be tailored to their current fighting skill, or for a team event to the fighting skill of the team.

Once the bandits are concurred the tile will disappear and after a certain time (a week?) the portal will also close to be discovered again at a different location.

Difference with pvp is that the worst thing that could happen here is that you loose your life and some skill. Like when fighting normal mobs. 

Difference with rifts

-> accessible for new players, especially if the opponents (and loot) could be tailored to the players fighting skill

-> player (finder of the tile) decides on the moment the portal will open which nice for people in different time zones or with limited time to play

-> player gets to decide if it will be a solo or team event

• Like 3

On 2/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, John said:

If you want a combat challenge, PvP is really where its at. We have these on PvP and they're called battle camps. The guards aren't really a problem, but the players certainly are.

We already have rift camps (small rifts with 10 or so rift mobs), though they are quite rare. I've stumbled upon them several times running through the forests of the more lower-pop servers looking for traitor NPCs.

Really a lazy response imho. PVP has nothing to do with these PvE Bandit Camps mentioned, and obviously alot of wurm players, old and new, are simply not interested in PVP.

You want to attract more people to PVP? make PVP elements better ,update the fighting system and add fun content to make PVP more enjoyable for people but don't cut away or ignore good PvE suggestions.

Eventually Wurm will die out sooner than you think if good suggestions aren't being looked at, let alone getting implemented.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Berms said:

Really a lazy response imho. PVP has nothing to do with these PvE Bandit Camps mentioned, and obviously alot of wurm players, old and new, are simply not interested in PVP.

You want to attract more people to PVP? make PVP elements better ,update the fighting system and add fun content to make PVP more enjoyable for people but don't cut away or ignore good PvE suggestions.

Eventually Wurm will die out sooner than you think if good suggestions aren't being looked at, let alone getting implemented.

I was honestly thinking the exact same thing. more than 95% of the wurm population live on pve servers. matter of fact its more close to 98%, and dominated by 1 single pmk which is massive. most people wont even attempt to cross that server line let alone do it and risk losing everything to go on an adventure so now most people stay home work on theyre deed craft and sell stuff thats what wurm has become today. The awe and pull is tremendously lacking in that area and That my friends needs to change if Wurm is wanting to survive!

• Like 3

It would be nice at least just a little bigger, just a roaming monster. Orcs, ent, zombies, hobgoblins, kobolds, etc. ...

Maybe it would be possible to do something like cemeteries with teleports to some kind of dimension "afterlife" with monsters, etc.

Edited by TheZvir
  • Like 2

me likey. We definitely do need new PVE content and bandits occupying recently abandoned deeds is a fantastic idea.

• Like 3