Sign in to follow this  
Ekib

adding options to Climbing

Have you ever seen those huge tall mountains while sailing or traveling and spotted something on top, like a meteor, or an animal you wanted to take home, or hunt... or just wanted to take in the view?

but here's the issue... with climbing how it is and how NOT fun it is... who actualy did the climb?

so how about adding a few things to make it more enjoyable to get up that huge mountain and watch the sunset over that conquered cliff?

currently (and as far as i know) only way to regain stamina during a climb is to be either super lucky and find a flat ish enough area to rest, or pack so much sandwitches and wine the weight will drag you down on its own. or mine a bunch of tunnels/place fences. which make the area... less nice to the eye.

so instead of spending 3 hours preparing food or packing materials to make a path (or falling all the time while surface mining) how about adding some ways to rest up or make the climbs easier?

- same way locksmithing at 25 unlocks the ability to create lockpicks, climbing at 20 or 25 will let you be able to use a hammer(or maul) to plant large nails into a tile corner. creating a climbing anchor. removable with a crowbar.

- you can hook a rope to a climbing anchor, once hooked you cannot move futher than 1 tile. what good does it do then? while hooked you cant fall back so you can rest and recover stamina but at a MUCH slower rate than on flat ground, so pack that sandwich to help either way! this would add the ability to rest a little on a slope so that surface mining or catching your breath is an option. 

it could also allow for the creation of rope 'roads' to climb up mountains to see beautiful views without leaving dirt paths, fences or mining holes all over. and i'm sure some more experianced climbers would love the option to create parkour roads up the mountains.

- climbing anchor could also be used to hook a tackle to it and after attaching a few ropes (like building a fence) it could be used to haul up a crate or furniture from below, or to help someone else climb up, like for training. a higher climb skill on the person below would help catch the climber faster if they fell. range would be QL dependant and ropes would be used to improve, helping ropemaking in the process ;) . (also if possible to use this to create pulley system for houses or mines im sure a few wurmians would like it :) )

- longrope item would be made either like the halter rope by adding ropes to other ropes or as a new item with the ropetool. perhaos with some strings of cotton to avoid cutting hands? QL of the longrope would determine the range you can go from an anchor.

- some new equipment like a climbing harness could be made using ropes, leather, cotton (for padding and support). once equiped in cape or tabard emplacement it would be all over the body and worn over armor. it would allow the wearer to hook to any climbing anchor without activating a rope (like horses with a bridle). this should make the experienced climber able to go faster and making switching  anchors easier.

i do not climb in real life so if anyone does and have suggestion for tools or other ideas (or correction for bad names i used XD), feel free to add. hoping this suggestion could make climbing more fun and rewarding and let people explore more easily.

Edited by Ekib
  • Like 4

Great idea Ekib! This would definitely make climbing more fun and a lot less of a chore.

Maybe they could also add a climbing animation instead of the slow walk? A crawling type animation for really steep slopes and a stepping up animation for other slopes.

This would be great.

There is a suggestion around here somewhere about climbing with ropes and (I think) pins.  Proper mountain climbing.  

was mentioned to me how climbing heavily relies on stamina but few skills give it... since climbing is so stamina oriented maybe change that it raises strength to level up stamina instead?

And if you fail the chance to attach the rope you fall to your death .......

( joking )

I do a little bit of climbing as a fo priest, but a system to "mountain climb"  could be interesting. 

rope would get damaged with use and failure to untie yourself when you want to move could result in having to cut it... pushing the need for ropes for something else than spamming sacc food for faith XD

Despite my Path of Power Mag priest feels almost like walking up and down Dragon Fang and packing only 2-3 sandwiches a mountain climbing gear sounds like a nice idea!

EDIT: PVE only...

Edited by Jaz