Sign in to follow this  
Josso

The state of uniques on NFI

As a new player I have a hard time understanding how a small group of 15 player is able to monopolize almost all unique kills with legitimate means. Could someone help me understand how this works?

• Like 4

they leave deed and look for them lol, it's not that hard to find uniques as a group of 15

not to mention uniques don't spawn within a certain distance of deeds so if you've made a map of where all the deeds are on the server not hard to know where to search

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 2

By your "logic" other people should finde them just as easily, but it sems only they find them. So my question stands, but thank you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josso said:

By your "logic" other people should finde them just as easily, but it sems only they find them. So my question stands, but thank you.

Simple. They put in the effort to find out where they're most likely to spawn, and likely routinely check those areas for new spawns.

Might not really matter much longer though, apparently the devs have a rework for uniques on their to-do list, if they ever get around to it.

3 minutes ago, Josso said:

His point is others aren’t putting in the same effort or coordinating with as large of a group. 

3 minutes ago, Jore said:

Simple. They put in the effort to find out where they're most likely to spawn, and likely routinely check those areas for new spawns.

Might not really matter much longer though, apparently the devs have a rework for uniques on their to-do list, if they ever get around to it.

That sounds like a good idea when Uniques currently are content for 15 people only.

• Like 1

what kind of answer do you want, they faced mecca before praying and a unique was delivered to them? do all the public slayings i've seen from various people (which from niarja i can see aren't in private unique kills together) on nfi not exist, or are you ignoring them because they don't fit your viewpoint?

i don't play on nfi to know the exact details of what goes on over there but i know from experience that an insanely small minority of wurm players actually "hunt" uniques, and if 15 likeminded people got together to hunt uniques they could very easily find uniques on nfi. Most will just complain on the forums instead of actually searching however.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xor said:

His point is others aren’t putting in the same effort or coordinating with as large of a group. 

I would still like to understand how it works. "Effort" is a wide term. Do they have alts everywhere that they log in? To roam three servers with 15 people and always be first seems extra-lucky to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

what kind of answer do you want, they faced mecca before praying and a unique was delivered to them? do all the public slayings i've seen from various people (which from niarja i can see aren't in private unique kills together) on nfi not exist, or are you ignoring them because they don't fit your viewpoint?

i don't play on nfi to know the exact details of what goes on over there but i know from experience that an insanely small minority of wurm players actually "hunt" uniques, and if 15 likeminded people got together to hunt uniques they could very easily find uniques on nfi. Most will just complain on the forums instead of actually searching however.

Kudos to you for answering my question in such a respectful manner. I am thankful for your input.

That sounds like a good idea when Uniques currently are content for 15 people only.

Ah yes, it's totally unfair that the people who put in the effort get the reward

I would still like to understand how it works. "Effort" is a wide term. Do they have alts everywhere that they log in? To roam three servers with 15 people and always be first seems extra-lucky to me.

You could literally just do this.

Go to where they spawn 90% of the time. Walk around while swinging your mouse all over the screen. See big red spooky outline. Dig hole. Drag red spooky outline into hole. Collapse hole. Deed. Organize. Kill.

The effort comes from the time they spent training fighting, getting weapons, armor, priests. And then having to routinely look for them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jore said:

Ah yes, it's totally unfair that the people who put in the effort get the reward

You could literally just do this.

Go to where they spawn 90% of the time. Walk around while swinging your mouse all over the screen. See big red spooky outline. Dig hole. Drag red spooky outline into hole. Collapse hole. Deed. Organize. Kill.

The effort comes from the time they spent training fighting, getting weapons, armor, priests. And then having to routinely look for them. 

Who said anything about fair? Surely the devs should have an interest in designing endgame content for more than 15 people. Might help with player retention and all.

What I have gathered so far from the friendly replies, is that uniques tend to spawn in the same areas apparently. So my guess would still be that logging in a ton of alts is the way to find them quickly. Not exactly gameplay in my eyes. But this is what I would like to know. Is an alt army spread over all islands the only realistic way to compete?

• Like 2

You can predict within a margin of error when one will spawn if you know when the last did too, so they know when to look. Its only dragons being privately killed and this is because you have to share the loot with everyone at the kill so people who work to pen them don't necessarily want to share the loot. If you think there is a problem with it that mechanic is the reason few dragons are publicly killed, otherwise if you get enough people together you could start searching for them. Finally there were multiple uniques spawned at the start it seems so they may have penned several then and only got round to it now.

Let me word this carefully, I learned a lot about uniques and wurm in general from this. Thanks to everyone who participated.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Lethyria said:

You can predict within a margin of error when one will spawn if you know when the last did too, so they know when to look. Its only dragons being privately killed and this is because you have to share the loot with everyone at the kill so people who work to pen them don't necessarily want to share the loot. If you think there is a problem with it that mechanic is the reason few dragons are publicly killed, otherwise if you get enough people together you could start searching for them. Finally there were multiple uniques spawned at the start it seems so they may have penned several then and only got round to it now.

I always did and still do support the legitimacy of private slayings, and I fully understand those unique hunters who do not want to organize public slayings rather get a decent amount of hide or scales. Given the effort of non accidentially finding uniques it is a legitimate reward for not few effort.

What is bit disappointing is that there are not more public non dragon slayings. No finder is obliged to share bones, tomes etc., or any part of the loot if they decide not to do, and no sensible player would object. But it is hard to understand why there are so few public goblin leader, forest giant, kylops etc. public slayings as the organizer, other than a drake/dragon slayer, does not lose anything s/he is not willing to share. The bloods are not limited.

It is a little disheartening as a smith, and some other skills, knowing that the oil will be unobtainable on nfi for a while with only 15 or so dropping from each dragon and maybe 5-10 of those being available for sale but so far we haven't had any private kills of non dragon uniques I know of. In fact some of the private kill group have organised many of the public non dragon kills and at least 1 public dragon kill.

17 minutes ago, Lethyria said:

It is a little disheartening as a smith, and some other skills, knowing that the oil will be unobtainable on nfi for a while with only 15 or so dropping from each dragon and maybe 5-10 of those being available for sale but so far we haven't had any private kills of non dragon uniques I know of. In fact some of the private kill group have organised many of the public non dragon kills and at least 1 public dragon kill.

Private skillet here. I always sell my stuff. (Not hide however I did give it away for Christmas to someone who I felt deserved it). I sell the blood I get 🤷‍♂️ usually at discounted rates too. 

Thats fair and I'm sure quite a few do but for a smithing set you need 40 bloods so thats 3 of the same unique and everyone selling

In my experience, usually being part of a unique kill means being an active, friendly, contributing part of the community.  If you are not part of the hunting, trapping, and planning team (which takes lots of effort and coordination) or you are not a contributing part of a society, then you would not have enough notoriety to warrant an invite.  In other words, if you are seen as either rude, whiny, or simply non-existent in circles amongst those that put in the extra time and effort, why would you expect an invite?  That's like saying "I didn't show up to work for 3 years, but my employer should still give me paychecks, plus raises and promotions simply because I exist!"

I am by no means saying this is you.  You may just be a plain old hermit that no one outside your small group knew even existed to warrant an invite?  You may even be a truly solo player tucked away in a cave hidey-hole. Or maybe, there were public kill notifications that went our when you were not online.  Right time, right place.

The rewards are there for anyone who puts forth the effort.

When I was playing on Deliverance, several times participated  in search for  uniques. There was dedicated team which penned them. Every time I was invited on private slaying and  every time  on slaying other uniques ( i was not participated in searching for ) I was invited, but cause of irl events and  time zone difference, was not able to join  most of them . It was not all  the time same team.  Players who leads hunts are expirienced ones with high  skills and  mostly high end gear  which cost a lot  time and premium spent money and if you help them in search will sure invite you to slaying . As i said, they spent tons of money and time to get there and they deserve best award  on such events. 

• Like 2

I don't understand how anything I wrote would make either Bremba or MarkSilard think that I would want to join that group but thanks for your input nonetheless.