Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Grave Marker options

How about we have other choices that look less religious?  Certain religious symbols can bring a lot negative feelings into the game.  Let's not have them?  Also, maybe add more variety.  Size, shape, stone material. 

I come here to escape from a place that is hyper polarized by religious zealots and hate.  I don't want to be reminded of it in the game - but graveyards are super cool and could use some love.

Also, how about Loading and unloading grave markers, once planted?

• Like 4

+1

would love some things like stone piles, or maybe even a larger structure like a dirt mound or stone tomb structure 

• Like 2

I don't see getting rid of "religious" grave markers.. The whole act of burial is a religious practice in its self. No need to get rid of anything.. just add more! :) Would be cool to have multiple options. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dathius said:

I don't see getting rid of "religious" grave markers.. The whole act of burial is a religious practice in its self. No need to get rid of anything.. just add more! :) Would be cool to have multiple options. 

Agree, but I don’t think he was suggesting removing anything either. Just more options!

Ok, the ones currently in the game are not Fo, Mag, Lib or Vynora based are they?  It is like having a statue of a TV in the game.  Does not belong.

(responding to Dathius post)

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

+1

I would like to see "moved" dirt  in front of gravestones like in cartoons, mounds, stones and even little mausoleums or big sets of wood that might eternally burn :) Imagine doing those structures for a dead horse or after killing a unique

• Like 1

Blasphemer!!  There is only one true god!

Ugh, +1 cause it's a game :)

• Like 1

Folk on Indy might tell you about the day I moved the gravestone of a beloved horse 3,000 tiles from Haven's Landing to a new deed up north of Crystal Lake. 3000 tiles, on foot, having to circumvent crossing any deeds I didn't have perms for, while using "place" and "move" commands to drag a grave stone. Sooo, yes, I would very much like a load/unload option for "used" grave markers. 

I also want to echo some of the original post ... real-world religious iconography can mean very different things to different people, depending on what role that religion has played in their life. Some have been traumatic. We don't need that in a game we love, and love to play in part to "get away" from all that. Things like this ought to be given consideration. 

Personally, I am okay with real-world religious iconography in game, as long as there are more options. Including other religions as well as neutral / secular options, too.

A simple stone with a rounded top is fairly "default" and secular for any grave. But if we want to keep what we've got and just add options, I would suggest adding statuary like angels, gargoyles, weeping people, veiled ladies, children / cherubs, lambs, owls, lions, and statues of the buried thing (person, favorite horse, pet dog, etc). Plus burial monuments have been many things, not just the kind of headstones that we're familiar with today. Small piles of rocks, stele, and menhirs have always been popular. So have talismans hung from nearby trees, or on a post or bowl marking the grave. Also, as implied, different religions have historically had different icons and methods for marking graves - would love to be able to pick from a bunch of different options. 

• Like 3

+1 Wurmhole made the point i was going to bring up about them being lore friendly iconography.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xor said:

Agree, but I don’t think he was suggesting removing anything either

6 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Let's not have them?

I actually like the current gravestones, but would have no problem with more options. There are a lot to choose from;

• A typical tablet-style headstone that takes text like a sign, but not so changeable.
  • A small obelisk
  • A menhir or some other standing stone
  • A cairn
  • A sword (or other weapon) planted in the ground
  • A statuette on a small plinth

A bunch of this stuff could be designated as base or topper, too, so that combinations could be used. 

• Like 6

+1 I like the old Celtic style grave stones as they have a very medieval feel but that's just me. I'm always for more options and styles though.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 10:20 PM, TheTrickster said:

A cairn

"cairn"!!!! 
TY  - for the life of me, I couldn't remember this word the other day. 

It sounds like most of us are basically on the same-ish page.... we like what we've got, but recognize that not everyone will feel like we do; options / alternatives would be for the best. 

• Like 1

Oh! I keep forgetting -  
I want to reiterate something that Wurmhole said, that I haven't seen much response to yet; I really feel like this point cannot be repeated enough - 

On 2/11/2021 at 4:07 PM, Wurmhole said:

the ones currently in the game are not Fo, Mag, Lib or Vynora based are they? 

when the topic of something religious-ish comes up.... y'all, we have an in-universe, in-game system of religions.

I would be 100% happy if the first alternative options for grave markers rolled out incorporated the four known Wurmian gods and/or their symbols, etc. 

A small plinth with a Vynora-inspired bowl tipping out water would be super lovely, for example. 

Like this ....

Spoiler

1d4c2e16c2f04cedae9398d338d11641de4a6e50

619sZMwtppL._AC_SX569_.jpg  fountain-cellar-freestanding-fountains-f

but if that stuff is too modern / not medieval-y enough, there's always any number of trillions and gazillions of "water barer" statues & statuettes - 

Spoiler

bf-588.jpg df7620ea9d592b78ba74c1b47427f624.jpg  Outdoor-garden-decor-life-size-nude-woma

anyway, that's just some Vynora type ideas right off the top of my head. I could go all day with ideas for Fo 😉🌱

~ A 💜🌱✌🏼️

• Like 1

more options would certainly be nice. i agree 

edit: had a chat with some people in the alliance... if we got crosses why not go all the way too and add crusifiction cross for that newbie that mined an utmost vein? 

Edited by Ekib