Sign in to follow this  
Marcuso

Ability to Buyback Items Sold on Deed

I accidentally sold my 90 QL shovel today when I clicked on the "sell" button on my deed. I didn't really have enough time to react, and didn't mean to do it. After bringing it up on the help channel, we came up with the idea of a buyback option. A confirmation window might be too cumbersome, but the ability to buyback items accidentally sold at the deed would be quite helpful in my opinion.

Thank you.

-1. Id rather have a confirmation window. Prevents system abuse to use it as an anti decay method

Just make it so we can lock the items we dont want to loose, just like we lock windows on screen 

when we want to take them out of inventory agan ...then just unlock them again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gawain said:

-1. Id rather have a confirmation window. Prevents system abuse to use it as an anti decay method

a confirmation window for each item you sell ???????

Currently the token prevents sale of most items over 50ql, as do merchants. The sell option just does not appear for most items. 

Today I tried to sell my 85ql shovel and 90ql scissors at the token and at a merchant on deed, and I did not get the sell option for those at all, so I am at a loss to know how your 90ql item was sold.

Sorry for being a bit slow, but if you could explain what you did and how your item was sold, that would be great.

I think that the token and merchants should offer some additional protection for rare supreme and fantastic items - I would not mind failsafe mechanism to prevent selling those as well.

• Like 1

the item being enchanted blocks selling to token, so just get a priest to slap any spell on an item you want protected, or use a rune or something

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Muse said:

I think that the token and merchants should offer some additional protection for rare supreme and fantastic items - I would not mind failsafe mechanism to prevent selling those as well.

This is already a thing since the last larger update, along with some more conditions preventing accidental selling:

Change: More items are now protected from accidentally being used to fuel a fire, including the following:

• Rare, supreme, and fantastic items
  • Enchanted or runed items
  • Items of very high base price
  • Newbie items
  • Runes Rift gear
  • Magical chests
  • Magical staves
  • Indestructible items
  • No-drop items
  • Improvable, non-bulk items of 90 QL or higher
  • Items that are seasonable drops, have been given as Christmas gifts or special rewards, or are similarly limited.
  • Please note that this protection is only against using the “Burn” command to fuel a fire. Flammable items fitting these criteria will still burn if placed on or inside a hot forge, oven, or other heat sources.
  • In addition, selling these items to a settlement token is no longer possible in cases when it was possible before. The following also can no longer be sold in this manner:
    • Drake hide armor
    • Dragon scale armor
    • Items made of moon metals (adamantine, seryll, and glimmersteel)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Samool said:

This is already a thing since the last larger update, along with some more conditions preventing accidental selling:

How hard would it be to make so you can lock items in inventory, just like you can lock windows on screen???

Would that be hard to code?

Couse that would really protect stuff from beeing accidental sold.

7 hours ago, Marcuso said:

I accidentally sold my 90 QL shovel today when I clicked on the "sell" button on my deed. I didn't really have enough time to react, and didn't mean to do it. After bringing it up on the help channel, we came up with the idea of a buyback option. A confirmation window might be too cumbersome, but the ability to buyback items accidentally sold at the deed would be quite helpful in my opinion.

Thank you.

I can't work out how you can accidentally do something the game doesn't allow.

Samool confirms you can't sell 90+ QL items at the token.

What you playin at, man?

3 hours ago, Samool said:

This says for "Burn" I don't see "sell". NM I found it.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

First, thanks Samool (for the answer and the changes). Second, as much as I welcome such improvements, everyone could take precautions against selling accidents.

Most things subject to sale at the token fit into a satchel or backpack. In case I am selling to the token, I always put the stuff into such a container, open it, and sell from that window. Additional advantage is the possibility to sort by name, ql etc. That way, it is not possible to slip to another inventory item which may often occur during lags.

Edit: and -1 to the idea. During sell, burn, or the second hour of a damaged item on trash heaps, or damage 100, a cheap and straightforward set of operations is performed like destructing the item and unlinking the item ID. To make a buyback possible, the destroyed item would have to be held in the server databases at least for some time, needing to check for a buyback/restore for a period of time. In other words, additional server load, additional lag.

Edited by Ekcin

3 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I can't work out how you can accidentally do something the game doesn't allow.

Samool confirms you can't sell 90+ QL items at the token.

What you playin at, man?

My mistake, it was at ~89 QL or so. I bough it at 90 QL a few days ago. I only got 4 iron for it, so it was certainly a net loss.

I don't mind having a lock option, as that seems to be the best compromise while considering all of the counter-points.

Edited by Marcuso

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

First, thanks Samool (for the answer and the changes). Second, as much as I welcome such improvements, everyone could take precautions against selling accidents.

Most things subject to sale at the token fit into a satchel or backpack. In case I am selling to the token, I always put the stuff into such a container, open it, and sell from that window. Additional advantage is the possibility to sort by name, ql etc. That way, it is not possible to slip to another inventory item which may often occur during lags.

Edit: and -1 to the idea. During sell, burn, or the second hour of a damaged item on trash heaps, or damage 100, a cheap and straightforward set of operations is performed like destructing the item and unlinking the item ID. To make a buyback possible, the destroyed item would have to be held in the server databases at least for some time, needing to check for a buyback/restore for a period of time. In other words, additional server load, additional lag.

While I respect your opinion and it makes logical sense, I think we should discuss the gameplay aspects of the idea and leave the technical details to the developers. Couldn't we shoot most ideas down by simply saying they will cause additional load/lag client or server-side?

Are you playing unlimited?  I think most responses are coming from a WO viewpoint, definitely we on WO can't sell an 89ql tool at the token. :)

Are you WO or WU and which server are you? :) 

I'm on WO, and I'm 100% certain that it was just less than 90 QL as I stated. The patch notes aren't contradicting what I'm saying as the limit is 90 QL and the item was just below that amount.

Edit: And I'm on Cadence.

Edited by Marcuso

If you sold an 89ql item you would get 9 irons not 4 irons -- the integer part of  (QL / 10) +1 irons , unless it was VERY decayed and the decay took the QL below the effective QL of 50.

I am not sure how it is implemented, but it is possible that the item could be sellable if decay or damage brought down the effective QL below the 50ql threshold.

Whatever the case I am sorry for your loss and I hope you are otherwise enjoying your time on Cadence :) 

The tool was quite valuable regardless of whether it met the threshold of 90 QL. I have only been playing for about 2 weeks and that tool was one of my more important items, so it's a bit frustrating to have no safeguards against this sort of thing happening. I got 4 irons for it, and I spent 2 silver on it. A buyback option, confirmation window, or lock option would all have provided a safeguard for it. I haven't seen anyone have an issue the the idea of 'locking' an item to protect it, so it would be nice to have that as an option IMHO.

Just now, Muse said:

If you sold an 89ql item you would get 9 irons not 4 irons -- the integer part of  (QL / 10) +1 irons , unless it was VERY decayed and the decay took the QL below the effective QL of 50.

I am not sure how it is implemented, but it is possible that the item could be sellable if decay or damage brought down the effective QL below the 50ql threshold.

Whatever the case I am sorry for your loss and I hope you are otherwise enjoying your time on Cadence :) 

It might have been at 80 QL; I bought a mix of tools recently and it can be difficult remembering if they were 80 or 90 QL. I apologize if I am not getting it 100% correct, but I am not trying to mislead or anything like that. I did not think that was an important detail to recall 🙂  But I know I got 4 irons for it, and I felt super ripped off 😬

As opposed to a locking mechanism (which feels more complicated to implement and still requires people use it) why not just make it so there is a sort of “bank” for the items sold, and can be purchased back for 20% more than their sale price? I suppose this would potentially open up a way for people to get decay-less storage for quite cheap, but if you limited it to only carrying the items sold for 48 hours and also added decay like a bank does (to food for example) it may deter anyone abusing it that way?

11 minutes ago, Xor said:

As opposed to a locking mechanism (which feels more complicated to implement and still requires people use it) why not just make it so there is a sort of “bank” for the items sold, and can be purchased back for 20% more than their sale price? I suppose this would potentially open up a way for people to get decay-less storage for quite cheap, but if you limited it to only carrying the items sold for 48 hours and also added decay like a bank does (to food for example) it may deter anyone abusing it that way?

sry but that sounds like much more coding to do, then make so we can lock items in inventory + ofcource weapon and armor on character window.

And if ppl think its too much work to rightclick and lock, then they dont care of there items get sold or not.

Code in so stuff can be puchased back and in certain time + add decay must be alot of more work, then the lock that is alrdy ingame.

And that only needs to be so we can use it inside inventory and on character screen.

But Im no programmer so I dont know .)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Maiya said:

sry but that sounds like much more coding to do, then make so we can lock items in inventory + ofcource weapon and armor on character window.

And if ppl think its too much work to rightclick and lock, then they dont care of there items get sold or not.

Code in so stuff can be puchased back and in certain time + add decay must be alot of more work, then the lock that is alrdy ingame.

And that only needs to be so we can use it inside inventory and on character screen.

But Im no programmer so I dont know .)

I just don’t think a lock protects a new player. Nothing can be done after they’ve made that mistake except they’ll now know for the next time. VS being able to go back and get the item lost. 

the lock feels more geared towards established players who understand the game better and helps prevent them from making a misclick.. but still leaves a lot of room for mistakes even then. 

the “bankish” idea seems dummy proof. Which I imagine is good for everyone as long as it can’t be exploited as a magic chest lol

9 hours ago, Xor said:

I just don’t think a lock protects a new player. Nothing can be done after they’ve made that mistake except they’ll now know for the next time. VS being able to go back and get the item lost. 

the lock feels more geared towards established players who understand the game better and helps prevent them from making a misclick.. but still leaves a lot of room for mistakes even then. 

the “bankish” idea seems dummy proof. Which I imagine is good for everyone as long as it can’t be exploited as a magic chest lol

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I am having trouble understanding the difference between this and a buyback system (minus the 20% buyback 'fee')? I think if the buyback system is limited to 1 hour and only contains the most recent item, it would be difficult to take advantage of it for decay-less storage. I immediately knew I lost my shovel and would have gladly bought it back within a minute's time if I had an opportunity. I agree that many newbies will not immediately know what locking is or how to use it, and personally I feel a buyback system works best. But in a game where real money can be used to buy in-game currency, which is then used on valuable in-game items, I think any protective measures for said items are a good idea. If that means item locking is the best compromise, I'm all for it.

If item locking were in the game, and I neglected to do it and lost my shovel like I did, I would have learned my lesson and locked everything else that I consider valuable at that point. As someone who just recently returned to Wurm I had no idea what "sell" did; I figured it would pop up a confirmation window or bring up another screen with more info about what it does. I only had a 2-3 second timer to cancel it. I was in quite disbelief that this could happen in such an old game, so I really hope at least one of our suggestions is considered.

Edit: Also, while patches can cover selling/burning a majority of important items, there is still a potential for something to be overlooked. Besides, some items' values are subjective; what is valuable to me as a new player is probably not quite valuable to a veteran. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Marcuso

14 hours ago, Marcuso said:

It might have been at 80 QL; I bought a mix of tools recently and it can be difficult remembering if they were 80 or 90 QL. I apologize if I am not getting it 100% correct, but I am not trying to mislead or anything like that. I did not think that was an important detail to recall 🙂  But I know I got 4 irons for it, and I felt super ripped off 😬

Whether at 90, or 89, or 80, or 75, you should not have received 4 iron for it.

Check your event log, and if this actually happened - that you sold a QL>70 shovel at a token and got 4 irons for it, then you should probably raise a support ticket, as there seems to have been at least one glitch.

13 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Whether at 90, or 89, or 80, or 75, you should not have received 4 iron for it.

Check your event log, and if this actually happened - that you sold a QL>70 shovel at a token and got 4 irons for it, then you should probably raise a support ticket, as there seems to have been at least one glitch.

I appreciate the suggestion to check event logs. I didn't realize I could do that. I was wrong, it was actually 8 irons.

However, the point remains - something valuable of mine was accidentally sold, and it could be reasonably argued that an improvement is needed for this mechanic. I could have made a better attempt to remember the numbers, but I did not realize they would be so important when the suggestion is regarding a game mechanic. Perhaps it is because I am newer, but the way I see it is 4 irons vs 8 irons is negligible when the item actually cost much more than that. It was a frustrating experience.

Here's a portion from the event log.

[09:50:33] Any Legacy Loyalty Bonus items you are entitled to should arrive soon.
[09:50:48] You receive 8 irons. Your bank account will be updated shortly.
[09:51:53] You receive 8 iron coins.
[09:52:19] You have already received any Legacy Loyalty Bonus items that you were entitled to.
[09:54:24] You get a shovel.