Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Livelier World

At the moment, wurm is a very static game.  Barring trees slowly eating meadows and stepped and grass at war, not much happens without player intervention.

Here are a few simple ideas to make the world feel more alive.

1.  Make flowers prevent bushes/trees spawning adjacent (and over) them, unless a tree/bush is already adjacent.  This helps preserve meadows, while still allowing forests to grow back over time.

2.  Give steppe's more features: seasonal flower variants of their own as well as changing their mob movement priority to high in spring/summer but low in autumn/winter so critters leave surrounding forests in the warmer weather and retreat back in the winter 

3.  Differentiate between 'beach sand' (10 tiles away from a salt waterlogged tile) and 'desert sand'; the former spawning shells and palms with a higher spawn rate of seals and crabs, the latter scattered cacti and a new set of mid--high tier forage/botanist opportunities to offset the risk of dangerous critters.

4.  Cliff-hugging plant species that yield useful resources for climbers who reach them.  More so, mountain plants that only grow above a certain elevation to better reward people living far inland.

5.  Fern tiles, an alternative to grass that does not impede dense tree growth; offering denser and more dangerous forests in return for faster tree growth rates.  Slowly spreading once an area has a thick enough forest.

6.  Allow moss to spread inside caves, near entrances to mines and near underground water sources.  Let us plant it and bring some green!  If a mine tile has a tree planted overhead, give us some roots that can be cut back if desired.

7.  Allow swamps to spread more easily far from trees, but make swamps easier to remove.  Give swamps their own trees (mangroves) and allow reeds to grow into swamps to provide more resources.

8.  Give abandoned (unused) roads a 'mossy' texture after a while; moss clearing once 3 people walk over a tile in 24 hours and only occurring on road tiles that are not highways.

9.  (added 26/04/2023)  Give us another coastal flower with a twist - let us plant flowers on marsh tiles to give lily pads whose flower colour matches the planted flower type.

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 43

i think these are all pretty solid ideas and would like to see some of them if not all implemented.

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

6.  Allow moss to spread inside caves, near entrances to mines and near underground water sources.  Let us plant it and bring some green!  If a mine tile has a tree planted overhead, give us some roots that can be cut back if desired.

Some glowing mushrooms too, perhaps?

• Like 6

These suggestions all sound excellent, except the tree roots in caves.  I'd rather have glow worms or crystals in cave ceilings.  As it is now, I am really annoyed by tree stumps poking down into the cave ceilings.  I could possibly see roots in old off-deed caves that have not been used in a while, much like your idea for unused roads.

• Like 5

All good ideas. I love the idea of moss growing on less traveled roads. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

1.  Make flowers prevent bushes/trees spawning adjacent (and over) them, unless a tree/bush is already adjacent.  This helps preserve meadows, while still allowing forests to grow back over time.

please please please please, wurm is unfortunately one big forest

Edited by Votip
  • Like 1

Well that's probably the least controversial thing I've ever suggested XD

Lets hope the devs see the universal adoration of the idea and actually realise that implementing it would be a free "win" in terms of popularity!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Well that's probably the least controversial thing I've ever suggested XD

Because it didn't involve casting lol.

• Like 1

Really good ideas.  I would like being able to create marsh tiles and the palm trees are a massive win for me. 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:12 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Barring trees slowly eating meadows and stepped and grass at war, not much happens without player intervention.

this is the future that Amata wants

also - I'm here for glow worms & crystals

On 2/9/2021 at 11:53 PM, Wurmhole said:

I'd rather have glow worms or crystals in cave ceilings. 

We'd love to see some of those ideas in, some might be more involved than the other ones to implement but they fit the exploration expansion part of our roadmap well. We'll definitely look into adding some of those into the game.

• Like 19

you had me at less seals spawning. but all your ideas rock. and would certainbly make for more intresting explorations. like finding that old mossy cave someone abbandonned months or years ago and realise a nice crystall grew in that time. would make visiting all sorts of places more rewarding and fun for sure

On 2/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, Etherdrifter said:

Give abandoned (unused) roads a 'mossy' texture after a while; moss clearing once 3 people walk over a tile in 24 hours and only occurring on road tiles that are not highways

me likey

+1

No palm trees perluheese but more tree varieties (I know we had more once, that was a fine update iirc, just more again thx)

2nd thoughts, although the tree update path has been trodden before so should be easy to replicate, it also means more wood types etc which seems like a more or less unwanted thing now.

Plenty of these ideas are cool though so a generic +1

Edited by Silures
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Etherdrifter said:

At the moment, wurm is a very static game.  Barring trees slowly eating meadows and stepped and grass at war, not much happens without player intervention.

2.  Give steppe's more features: seasonal flower variants of their own as well as changing their mob movement priority to high in spring/summer but low in autumn/winter so critters leave surrounding forests in the warmer weather and retreat back in the winter 

3.  Differentiate between 'beach sand' (10 tiles away from a salt waterlogged tile) and 'desert sand'; the former spawning shells and palms with a higher spawn rate of seals and crabs, the latter scattered cacti and a new set of mid--high tier forage/botanist opportunities to offset the risk of dangerous critters.

4.  Cliff-hugging plant species that yield useful resources for climbers who reach them.  More so, mountain plants that only grow above a certain elevation to better reward people living far inland.

5.  Fern tiles, an alternative to grass that does not impede dense tree growth; offering denser and more dangerous forests in return for faster tree growth rates.  Slowly spreading once an area has a thick enough forest.

7.  Allow swamps to spread more easily far from trees, but make swamps easier to remove.  Give swamps their own trees (mangroves) and allow reeds to grow into swamps to provide more resources.

8.  Give abandoned (unused) roads a 'mossy' texture after a while; moss clearing once 3 people walk over a tile in 24 hours and only occurring on road tiles that are not highways.

Bump because much needed! 

I would also like to add the following:

- Rotting wood:

Have dead logs either as graphics or real objects, with them able to have fungus/mushrooms grown inside them (naturally, not by players) .

Dead wood is a big part of forests and wurm forests just look too clean and man-made without it. 

800px_COLOURBOX1172736.jpg

- change moss tile graphics

The current moss tile looks NOTHING like real moss. In fact I had to stop and examine first to be sure its moss when I started playing. 

This is how moss should look like and not just a lazy and bald lime green tile as we have now. It should have some depth and/or textures to it. 

moss.jpg

Edited by Berms
  • Like 4