Sign in to follow this  
ZapRowsdower

Favorite items (so that they can't be sold)

First off, sorry if someone has already mentioned this before! I looked around but couldn't find anything obvious.

Sadly my Mom has just now sold her shovel and rake and was quite upset about it, so I set out to find a way to stop this from happening again. Looks like the only way is to make a sub folder in your inventory and put things in there. Now I know that's an option but it still doesn't stop the fact that if I'm not paying enough attention I'll just sell something very important by accident.

So I would like to officially request some way of "favoriting" items in your inventory so that you cannot sell them (and perhaps drop or destroy them) without at least a warning popping up and saying something.

Thank you all!

-ZR

• Like 1

Or..

Take more care if these things are indeed precious.

I know that may sound harsh, but as soon as you start putting confirmations and warnings on stuff the result is often a small temporary benefit offset by a major drawback of too many confirmations.  Once people get a lot of "are you sure?" type confirmations they tend to stop paying much attention to them and just confirming without thought.  The solution to that is a second confirmation, which then.... well you can see how that goes.

I know a guy who wrote a program that always asked for a confirmation on close - but would select the text from a list, some of which were asking you to confirm that you were wiping your hard drive or sending a greeting card to all of your contacts.  He asked a lot of people to check out his program, and when he sought feedback hardly any had noticed the content of the confirmation message. 

• Like 2

+1  I think a favored items warning is a good idea. It's very easy to get distracted by rl, other players, mobs, lag, etc and unintentionally sell, sac, burn, drop or even just double click something that's highlighted or equipped which most "favored" things often are. Also it doesn't have to be on everything just those selected items thereby limiting the "Are you sure?" warnings.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1

+1 I like the idea of being able to favourite items. I’ve come close to accidentally selling items, myself.

Other games have a way of tagging items to not be sold to vendors, I don’t see why it’d cause inconvenience anyone to implement in WO. If you don’t want a warning or to be blocked from selling items you don’t intend to sell, simply don’t favourite anything.

edit: alternatively, give us a buyback option that lists recently sold items. Though I still think the favourite tag would be great; it could also be used to protect against accidentally burning items.

Edited by Calan
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, TheTrickster said:

I know that may sound harsh, but as soon as you start putting confirmations and warnings on stuff the result is often a small temporary benefit offset by a major drawback of too many confirmations.  Once people get a lot of "are you sure?" type confirmations they tend to stop paying much attention to them and just confirming without thought.  The solution to that is a second confirmation, which then.... well you can see how that goes.

I agree that confirmation windows SUCK, but if it's just right clicking an item and selecting "favorite" and then it being unable to be sold I think that's fine. Those that don't want to use the system don't have to deal with it and those that want to take advantage of it can. Terraria has a pretty good model for this.

On 2/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Katrat said:

I think a favored items warning is a good idea. It's very easy to get distracted by rl, other players, mobs, lag, etc and unintentionally sell, sac, burn, drop or even just double click something that's highlighted or equipped which most "favored" things often are. Also it doesn't have to be on everything just those selected items thereby limiting the "Are you sure?" warnings.

-1 to any confirmation windows. There should almost always be a way to get the effect you want without confirmation windows. I do appreciate you trying to minimize it though.

• Like 2

Its a easy solution for this 

just make it so you can lock the item like we can lock windows on screen 

when you want to get ride of the item ....unlock it again