Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Better uses of sleep bonus

Rather than only having the option of +100% skillgain, perhaps the player could choose to focus the mental freshness that we call "sleep bonus" in different ways:

• increasing the skill gained by performing an action (just so we're clear that this options remains, and will indeed be the default)
  • increasing the speed of item creation (since burning sleep bonus is broadly similar to Circle Of Cunning, allow an option that has the same effect as Wind Of Ages)
  • increasing the quality of created items (instead of an item being created at 20% of your smithing skill, perhaps allow it to be created at 25%, or 30%, or 40%.)
  • increasing the chance of improving items (perhaps halve the chance of failing an improve action)
  • increasing the chance of creating items (perhaps halve the chance of failing a creation action. This should not, I think, allow creation of items that would otherwise be beyond a player's skill)

None of these are going to severely impact the game balance, I don't think (with the possible exception of the last). Obviously there are decisions to be made about how effective each boost should be. But it should be easy enough to find a percentage that has roughly the same value to the player as x2 skillgain.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

more options would be nice. would have to have some serious math going on tho.

• Like 1

I like options but I suspect it will be difficult to balance. Such a change may seem small but it's going to touch or interact with many systems in Wurm code. And that means there is risk involved. I'm not sure on a cost benefit analysis of such options would be worth it. The cost is time to make, time to balance, time to test/debug. Benefit would be more options for players and hopeful greater player attitude/retention.

The only way I could see this paying off is if the benefit very much helped players who don't grind. This is because grinders are the ones who benefit most from SB.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, armyskin said:

I'll let Retrograde answer this one

• Provide constructive comments, +1's and -1's aren't useful, we overlook and ignore them anyways, post why you like or dislike something.

I don't see this as necessary, or even particularly beneficial.  The current skillgain buff is not only sufficient, but tends to give those others suggested, albeit to a lesser degree.

+1 The idea is interesting and I think more options could be beneficial for different types of playstyles like was mentioned here.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:48 AM, Ogare said:

This is because grinders are the ones who benefit most from SB.

However, I do also agree this mechanic would probably require quite a substantial amount of balancing and testing that I find it unlikely to be added. At least now with how big the team is and how many get paid.

• Like 1