Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

End decay of planted buoys

While blessed lamps planted do not decay, buoys do. This is in no way sensible as it adds chores for those creating lights in tunnels and waterways. One may restrict no decay to paved areas if deemed necessary which would at least limit the amount of maintenance work.

• Like 3

At first glance this seems reasonable, but I worry that 1) it could be abused to clutter lots of signs that will never disappear and 2) even non-cluttered buoys that are no longer useful or ‘right’ would never disappear. 

You can say the same with lamps, but they’ll always be open to being deeded over and removed by the new mayor. Decayless buoys, unless close to a shore, would be unlikely to ever be removed once planted. I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

If it were implemented, I’d think some way to remove buoys planted by another player without having to deed over them would be needed to counteract the above, but what exactly? Timer before it can be removed? Players can remove one per week? Special tool (crowbar equiv) is needed? Whatever’s chosen, someone will cry foul. What would you suggest?

I think just letting them decay is probably the simplest, if not best, solution. Or am I just overthinking this?

Edited by Calan

I fail to see that a reasonable objection. Like lamps, they may always be bashed off deed. Never heard about the need to deed to remove lamps, that is not reasonable. And cluttering is not likely. A buoy needs ways more material than a lamp (lamp head, mooring anchor, barrel, shaft vs. lamp head and log), and would need blessing as well. A bit too much effort for just spamming them all over the water.

On the other hand, it is demotivating to light large tunnels with buoys when it creates the chore to constantly repair and improve.

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Never heard about the need to deed to remove lamps, that is not reasonable.

I hadn’t considered bashing at all and was just thinking of what you need to do to pick up an item secured/planted by someone else. I’d be curious how easy they are to bash; my experience in bashing off-deed items is it’s a huge pain.

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

A bit too much effort for just spamming them all over the water.

I’m not thinking any one person would spam them, but for example how individuals might want to drop one near a starting town as an advert and how they’d build up over time if they never decayed. I remember my time many years ago from Eve Online and how people used to leave cargo crates at jump gates near busy areas as signs. Lots of clutter.

Ah well, maybe I am overthinking this.

Edited by Calan

Bashing is bit effort, and may take 5-10 minutes per item depending on sort (lead huge maul the best) and quality of the bashing item on a higher ql item until the 70 dmg needed to pick it up is reached. That is an acceptable compromise between planter and prospective taker. Mind that it takes rather longer to create (all mats creation included) and improve a buoy to a reasonable ql (I use >50).

To give an example: When creating the canals from E21 Xanadu to F22, connecting the middle canal passage to the Summerholt area (overview about the project here

)

I created over 400 buoys to light the passage which extends over more than 4000 tiles, 2500 5 tile and 1500 3 tile wide, with a buoy every 10 tiles.

In the current situation this lighting is doomed to rot away if it is not already. And I am certain that I wont do it again unless this situation changes.

IRL, Buoys are picked up and cleaned roughly once every 4 or so years for some, and upto once every 15 years for other types.

It would make sense to have them no decay, or to decay at such a slow rate, as they are not quickly decaying items in any sense. 

• Like 1