Sign in to follow this  
Zarwaddim

Questions About Flat Raising a Pillar for Bridges

I followed this flat raising guide - Flatraising - Digging Guide - Game Guides - Wurm Online Forum.

Rather than necro and old post that may or may not get responses, I wanted to ask some advice from the expert engineers I've seen of late.

My situation: I am shifting over a highway so that it links up with the corner of my deed. The old highway is all dirt, and it took a lot of effort, but it's hideous because when I join it up with a perpendicular road it becomes wonky as joining two perpendicular 20 slope highways is bad.  The "corner" on my deed that I want to make the new highway on is on a plateau and the highway (obviously) will be two-wide flat on that, eventually joining up with that other road which at that point is also flat. The slopes going down to where I want to build, however, are 180/170/170, respectively. I plan to make 3 sections of bridges, two 14x2 and one 11x2 in order to link up with the land portion of the highway further on down.  In order to make this work, I snagged the idea to make "pillars". I plan these to be 2x2, which I can then use to join sections of the bridge.

My problem: Because the land itself after the 180/170/170 slopes are also sloped, I'll have to make a pretty tall pillar to start the first section. Taking the middle starting slope of 170, and adding the next 13 slopes down, the total slope going down is 451. I've already started the 2x2 pillar, but I have two questions.

Question 1: Would the following calculation of the pillar height be correct (again, using the middle 170 starting slope and continuing down). A 14 tile long bridge at max 20 slope = 280 total slope. 451-280=171. At the bottom portion of the first section, I calculate that my pillar has to be 171 slope high. Is this right?

Question 2: A 171 slope tile is, well, high. I am concerned about getting up or down. Any thoughts on how I might do that? My first thought is to just put some BSB's with the amount of dirt I think I need (171 x 9 = 1,539; 9 being the amount of dirt necessary to flat raise a 2x2 area by 1 dirt; basically 2 BSB's full of dirt) and then just stay there until complete; then try to "climb" down. I'm just concerned I would die (not sure if at ~30 body I would have enough stamina). Another thought, and one which I think would defeat the purpose, is to just make a ramp up one side to traverse up as it goes higher. First, that's a lot of extra work. Second, it would almost bring the slope up to base of the 180/170/170 plateau I have (albeit in the opposite direction); the whole purpose of the project was me wanting eliminate this huge dirt road going up at 20 slope - plus I'd have to dig it out after I am done (more work). 

Hopefully I've made some sense of what I am after. I appreciate any help. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Zarwaddim

your calculations sound spot on, just remember that if you calculate to the very limit of 20 slope on all 14 tiles you have no margin for error at all. As for the ever higher dirt pillar, yes a 2x2 can easily be done by always dropping in the middle and flat raising as you say. Drop a bsb on the tile of dirt that eventually will be the dirt wall and fill it there, it will be in the perfect location to open at the top so you simply drag out dirt as you flat raise the pillar, no need for a ramp that way and you can climb up and down empty.

• Like 1