Sign in to follow this  
Brocules

Wedding and Babies in Wurm Online

On 2/1/2021 at 2:49 PM, Brocules said:

The main intend is to draw more girls and women in Wurm Online by making it a bit more feminine.

Hmm being a woman and not even married irl. I don't see how this would draw more girls to Wurm and how it would make it more feminine even.

If making the game more attractive for female players is your intention I would suggest more deco & clothing options tbh. And that's also pretty stereotype I know. But checking the suggestions made by female players in the past might give you a good insight in what female players would like to see more of in this game.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 8:49 AM, Brocules said:

The main intend is to draw more girls and women in Wurm Online by making it a bit more feminine.

. . .  I do not know how I missed this sentence the first time I took a look at this suggestion. 

If your main intent is to draw more women to the Wurm Online community... I would suggest putting more energy into suggestions for substantive game mechanics for all Wurmians to enjoy - and less energy into regressive statements that rely on outdated stereotypes and contribute to the exact kind of creepy community that women who are also gamers tend to notice and then completely avoid. 

I didn't think this needed to be stated - but it's the Twenties, and there's an apocalypse,  so here we are - people who like playing tabletop, computer, and video games come in all shapes and sizes and genders and sexes and personal interests. One thing that all gamers have in common, though, is that we're really interested in great games mechanics implemented well and accessible to all. 

.... "If you build it, they will come" ...

On 2/1/2021 at 6:40 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

buying gf

How much?

-1 Also I think I'm opposed to this. Having this done in RP is already good enough. Beyond that you're just incentivizing players to marry eachother for bonuses which will lead to grinders marrying as many things as they can for big bonuses and also those who are against the concept of marriage miss out on bonuses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amata said:

. . .  I do not know how I missed this sentence the first time I took a look at this suggestion. 

If your main intent is to draw more women to the Wurm Online community... I would suggest putting more energy into suggestions for substantive game mechanics for all Wurmians to enjoy - and less energy into regressive statements that rely on outdated stereotypes and contribute to the exact kind of creepy community that women who are also gamers tend to notice and then completely avoid. 

How can a person even suggest something so stereotype in the 20s?

Something for the girls?

If you guys want to play nuclear family go play Sims.

Don't ruin this swedish and gender neutral game by adding stereotype stuff.

To me this topic was so totally off that I have not even read the suggestion.
But the quote above about  "something to draw girls" sure is triggering.

I totally agree with Yng and Amata.

• Like 2

Responding here as one player to another (not as a dev).

Brocules: Before saying anything else, I'd just like to express how much I appreciate your efforts for thinking of new ways to improve the player experience, especially for female Wurm players. Your suggestion contained both good ideas as well as slightly misguided ones, but regardless of the rough edges, it's clear to see that your intentions were nothing but good. *smiles*

About luring females into Wurm with Sims-like marriage mechanics
I will have to echo the sentiments of others in this thread. "Marriage" is definitely not something that would make Wurm any more attractive to me as a female gamer. The thing that lures females into Wurm is exactly what lures everyone else into Wurm: It's a hard-core sandbox MMO with immense depth and freedom. Either that really appeals to you, or it doesn't, regardless of gender. And if Wurm isn't your thing, no amount of in-game romance or marriage proposals are going to change that.    

Like someone mentioned, Wurm is a game where females can just play the game in peace. This sort of thing would turn female characters into "tools" for gaining benefits in the game and would lead to a lot of unwanted attention.

Also, there is a reason that most MMOs don't have child characters - for obvious reasons. 

As a roleplayer and as someone who has roleplayed romance and courtship in other MMOs, I agree with others in that this sort of thing should be something that players roleplay on their own. Not a fan of the idea of marriage providing bonuses or buffs. Like many said, it would only be misused. For the record, out of all of the MMOs I've ever played, Wurm is the one I've put most hours into, and yet I've never had any Wurm romances - roleplay or otherwise. This only goes to prove my earlier point. 

That said, I think there have been some lovely ideas in this thread that could work very well to cater to those enjoy MMO marriages and yet would not break the game, such as: 

• Priests being able to perform a marriage ceremony. This could be simply be spoken words between priest and the two to be wed. No buffs or benefits otherwise.
  • Craftable wedding rings
  • Craftable wedding garments

I absolutely loved your comments and ideas Amata! I couldn't agree more!

• Like 2