Sign in to follow this  
Brocules

Wedding and Babies in Wurm Online

Wedding and Babies in Wurm Online

Every two year a suggestion has been made to implement something like wedding, babies, and family in Wurm Online. In our alliance we were having a discussion on automating and mechanisation of Wurm Online, when it was my turn to get a mindflash and I suggested the idea of Wedding in Wurm Online. So I started working this out. The main intend is to draw more girls and women in Wurm Online by making it a bit more feminine.

A Wedding doesnt drop from the sky upon you. First thing is you try to find someone you like, and then you try him/her to like you. The courting period has started. In my suggestion this takes at least 6 months, during which both players need to be premium all the time. You both agree to this courting period.

In the courting period both of you give each other gifts by means of a trading like screen. The higher the quality of this gift, the better the boost to the ''love''bar. There are at least 6 gifts, each month one.

Gifts (love tokens) are: 1 processed food item, 1 drink, 1 gem, 1 jewelry, 1 tool, 1 clothing/armor piece. Love tokens will be lost in the void after usage.

If after 6 months the love bar has not reached 100% the period is extended with 3 months, and subsequent 3 additional gifts (this time at will).

When the Love Bar has reached 100% a Wedding can occur. This can be done by a priest of any demonation.

After the Wedding, there is a 10% increase  1% increase in skillgains for the first year, and 5%  0,5% for all years after, as long as the marriage exists. The Marriage can be undone by mutual consent, without further ceremonial, or when one of the players has been offline for over 3 months, or has been non premium for over 3 months.When there is a non-adult child the marriage can not be undone.

To accomplish this, after the wedding the Love Bar looses 33% each month. When it reaches zero the marriage ends (except when there is still a child). The Love Bar can be fuelled again with the ''love tokens'' from the courting period, with extra benefits for high ql gems, rare, supreme or fantastic items. So for example a rare items gives 10% extra boost on the love bar, a supreme item 20% and a fantastic item 30%. Love tokens are lost in the void, the same way as sacrificed items on the altar. Actions like ''dancing'', ''singing'' can also give a boost to the love bar. Both players need to be online, responsive, and on the same location to have effect on the Love Bar. Since love has to flow in two directions, the other player has to initiate the next fuelling of the Love Bar. 

new added: Has the Love Bar no further use? Yes. When the player is involved in a fight, and it doesnt go well, and the player is wounded (less then 50% health remains), the player can draw ''hope'' from the Love Bar, resulting in fighting gains. Lover Bar over 75% then the player become speedgains, health gains and strength gains. Between 50 and 75% two of three (random) and between 25-50% just one fighting gains.

When the players are wed (female/male, female/female, male/male) they can sleep together in the canopy bed. As result of this sleep one of them (random, regardless of sex) will become pregnant. During this pregnancy the player will be limited in some ways and not be able to start a fight or leave the server.

After approx a week the baby is born. The newborn will need food (at first any milk is enough), care and teachings.All three need to be given to the newborn.

The milk (and later food) is offered to the newborn, as is the care (playing time, hugging, telling stories and jokes). Teaching are simulated by a temporarily 20% decrease 10% decrease in skillgains on both parents till the child has reached adulthood.

The baby starts small, and via toddler – urchin – child fase it will reach adulthood.

The time needed is 1 week for all.fases. After a month the child will be an adult and can be used as npc in the village.

This npc will have different grades, depending on the amoout of skillgains it got from its parents.

• unmotivated: it can become basic carpenter, you hand it 10 logs, and it will spawn out planks or shafts of 15ql after an hour.

• Motivated: it can become carpenter, you hand it 10 logs, and it will spawn out planks, shafts, arrowshafts, shingles or pegs of 20ql after an hour.

• Talented: it can become carpenter, but also nurse. As nurse it can heal your wounds or cure you from disease.

• Bright: it can become carpenter, nurse, or barber. As barber it will change ur haircolor and appearance on request.

• Intelligent: it can do all above, and (added): become Elite Guard to the deed, and make witty remarks as well. As Elite Guard it is as strong as a Templar, but it can also be armored and armed like a normal guard. It will call on help (within deed borders) but will retreat into safety (the nearest locked building) on its own when health reaches 40% or lower.

Ok, now, you all can laugh.

Other Remarks:

The NPC's are connected to the deed it was born into and will die with the deed, or at mayor's will.

The child will die without sufficient food or care.

We hardly need new graphics, cause this idea uses mostly already existing graphics.

The NPC dont require initial coin or upkeep.

The baby/urchin/toddler/child is an item that can be carried around in the inventory, but will act as decorational item outside inventory. While in inventory you cannot sleep or logoff. This gives other players the chance to feed it or humor it as well, if they have access to the location the child is. None but the parents can carry the child in inventory or move it elseway (unless its sold just before reaching final stage)

The role you choose for your child is defnite and cannot be undone.

It can be sold to another player from another deed using trade when its ready for promotion to adult but when it has not a chosen profession yet. This ''trade-window'' is not longer then a day. The new owner can choose the profession (if there is something to choose).

A new pregnancy can occur in the marriage 5 monts after the child has reached adulthood.

When the profession is chosen, the NPC will be added to de deed it is in.

Added after some comments:

Maximize the number of marriages to 1 per person at any given time (regardless to server) and to 1 per deed. 

Edited by Brocules
reacting on comments: mechanics on love bar added.
  • Like 1

Babies nope, weddings sure.  I know of a lot of RL couples that'd benefit from weddings.  Many other games have GM sponsored weddings with equippable items that offer spousal bonuses.  I'd like that here.

• Like 1

dont no were to start ,scared to comment on this one ,oh what the hell, i will say its half good, but how do i explain to the rl wife i have another wife and kid ,what if it works n i want a divorse in rl to run off with the game wife, i have a million questions lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, christopher said:

dont no were to start ,scared to comment on this one ,oh what the hell, i will say its half good, but how do i explain to the rl wife i have another wife and kid ,what if it works n i want a divorse in rl to run off with the game wife, i have a million questions lol

Just don't cheat on your wife.

I think it would change the tone of the game, and some players might suffer from unwanted attention. We would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable, subject to expectations or social pressure.

Besides, I can think of some staff members who would get flooded by marriage proposals (I think you all know who I mean). :P 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Muse said:

I think it would change the tone of the game, and some players might suffer from unwanted attention. We would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable, subject to expectations or social pressure.

Besides, I can think of some staff members who would get flooded by marriage proposals (I think you all know who I mean). :P 

Yes I've always wanted to marry Enki

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

ok, we all had our laughs, now please comments of players who actually read the article.

wtb supreme gf with botd, 1g. 

On a serious note, I don't see a reason for this to be implemented scriptwise. If you'd like to do something like this in-game, roleplay it and have fun, use your imagination. No need for a text command to say you are "married." And an absolute no to kids.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brocules said:

and will die with the deed, or at mayor's will.

I like this part.

I have seen a few marriage systems in MMOs but it always boils down to everyone marrying a randomer because it's stupid not to be married and miss out on the benefits of marriage.

While the idea of systemic marriage is interesting, it won't be people who like each other getting married for most part, it will be me and my 10 alts having a big party in the dungeon to have more slaves for sale (which i can kill off at will too). Sitting in creature cages with a stool and an empty bowl.

• Like 3

This gave me good laugh,imagine deeds split in half with walls when they get in to a fight :D

Imo its not something we really need.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Locath said:

While the idea of systemic marriage is interesting, it won't be people who like each other getting married for most part, it will be me and my 10 alts having a big party in the dungeon to have more slaves for sale (which i can kill off at will too). Sitting in creature cages with a stool and an empty bowl.

comment added to first topic,.  Locath, thanks for the input.

1st April is a bit far..

Personal opinion.. No, because of alts.. lets not let people go mental and marry themselves during the quarantine, probably enough go mental as it is.

+1

can we rebirth the child to make zombie children again?

xd

12 minutes ago, Firecat said:

+1

can we rebirth the child to make zombie children again?

xd

No. Son of Glory should never return to Wurm.

Also +1 to marriage. Not the other parts.

• Cat 1

No thank you - to all of it !  Wurm is complicated enough already, without adding anymore on the relationship side of things - you can make partnerships with friends - as true friends - you don't need babies, when you have alts.

• Like 1

Babies : NO

Marriage system with benefits ? Since when there is a benefit getting married ? 😂

Seriously, i think there is no need of a wedding system, just RP like it's already said in this topic. And as it's already said too, if the marriage gives advantages we will have alts weddings. Pointless.

But maybe a high skilled jewelry smither could have wedding rings available to craft and that could, combined with RP , help two mad players who wants to get married.

If there ere any ingame benefit, then I would marry all of my alts to each other.  Like others have said, leave this to RP if anyone is really intent on spending their Wurm together in bliss or misery.

Babies?  Only if they attract more trolls as a delicacy. New troll recipes: baby cheek stew?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Muse said:

I think you all know who I mean

we dont

I'm not a fan of adding any kind of NPC system like this (in Wurm). Or of marriage benefits of this sort. However, weddings with new outfits, something for priests to do,  let us make a julbord kind of thing for parties, sure. Some kind of system where married folks can be co-mayors or have co-permissions would probably be useful to a lot of people as well. 

• Like 2

Feel free to RP this stuff, but I can't see why any automated content needs to be created for it. 

Even the children, if you want to make a new human in Wurm, you just go ahead and make one.  We call them alts but the must be either slaves or children, really.

Okay, wow, there's a LOT of elements in this concept, and some are creative and fun. Some are "no way, never!"... and some are concepts that I like what motivates the idea - but not the actual idea that the motivation led to.

Regarding Babies.... 

Spoiler

I don't mind NPCs in Wurm, but I like them to remain in the category that they currently occupy. They are automated assets that function as an extension of a player character or active deed. A merchant is selling on behalf of the player who holds the NPC's contract. A trader can be "hired" to be stationed at a deed... I would not mind expanding the NPCs we have available- as long as they stayed very tightly player-based (not automatically generated as a game mechanic). For example... I wouldn't mind a small, but active, village being able to purchase the contract for a "village blacksmith"  or a "local baker"... I would naturally expect that such NPCs would represent a general mid-level amount of relevant skills, but is incapable of producing the kind of quality or rarity that highly skilled players can produce. 

I have a small village, I'm busy building a house, and there aren't any spare villagers... we'd like to "hire" a stablehand who grooms the animals inside a certain fence line / building. A farmhand that can tend a field, but not harvest or plant or anything. Just some basic, generic stuff like this. 

In-game Marriage / Weddings

Spoiler

This is super common in a lot of MMOs nowadays. Some kind of marriage / wedding / designated buddy-player system. 

I wouldn't mind some kind of buddy system, TBH. I wouldn't identify it as a marriage-type arrangement, tho. But a simple kind of system that a premium player character can opt into with another premium character (who must be associated with a separate Wurm account). Maybe the Buddies get an extra skillgain buff, or an extra gathering yield buff when they stay within a certain range / # of tiles of each other. Maybe it can be part of an intro package / bundle we could offer. The "buddy bundle" - when you and a friend join WO to play together, you get X discount on your first premium month, X buffs when you are in proximity to each other, and X gains when you play Teamed up." 

But I think everyone above is also correct that a wedding or marriage mechanic has a lot of room for misuse in one way or another. That being said, I would be totally cool if there were in-game ways to support wedding RP in Wurm. The ability to tailor "wedding clothes" of some kind. An extra ability given to all priests to "perform ceremony" or whatever - which mostly just creates a fun special effect, like a burst of sparkles or fireworks, etc. I absolutely adored the idea someone said above about a high-level jewelrysmith item - a ring called "Eternity Band" or "Ring of Vows" or something - that provides some appropriate ring buff (so it's not a wasted gear slot if you chose to wear it) - but this particular ring has a visual show up on your character. (TBH, I don't actually know if rings are displayed on character. Maybe they already are. IDK). 

That way RP "marriage" would feel robust and engaging for players who want to do that. But it's not really something that everybody is going to end up doing just for extra buffs or whatever. 

Underlying Motives 

Spoiler

I'm making some assumptions here... but, it feels like the whole original suggestion was in the realm of "lets add game mechanics and features relevant to the "Life Sim" aspect of Wurm gameplay." 

I like this general motivation. 

WO is a unique combination of a LOT of MMO game elements - some, like terraforming and skilling, are more robust than others, for example combat or roleplaying. In Wurm we have almost all of the obnoxious aspects of a life sim game, but very few of the perks. By this I mean - Wurmians get to build and decorate our homes, but after that, there's a lot of "daily chores" life sim mechanics without any "enjoyments, recreation, socializing, and parties" of life sim games. We make repairs. We eat and drink and sleep. We tend the farm, milk the cows, work a trade, and then go to sleep at night only to wake up and grind it all again tomorrow. While I'm not sure we've hit the mark with the original suggestion - I think we've identified an area of WO play that could definitely use some TLC. Family game mechanics are a core staple in life sim games - but not a lot of the multiplayer / MMO life sims. 

But what about entertainment & social mechanics? The ability to host a feast or hold a tournament? Right now, players scrape that together with very little to work with. Maybe there are some game mechanics or items / objects that can be implemented to make it a tad bit easier? Even if we simply got a "decoration bundle" patched in - streamers, banners, ribbons, a Maypole to dance, festive looking signs, festival outfits, items to juggle, small games to play, objects of décor to display like platters of feasting food, etc. Anything to help "set a scene."

How about music mechanics? Where the bards at, yo?! Lutes, lyres, viols, harps of all sizes, pipes, fiddles, drums, horns... A player should be able to skill up a musical instrument and be able to play and perform for friends and parties and festivals and for tips! 

What about domestic pets? A pet game mechanic is almost always included core content for a life sim game....  If I can tame a wild dog, or a wild cat, even a wolf or fox or deer - why can't I do something to ~permanently~ tame it? Why do players have to keep juggling which animal they have tame any time they want to lead or breed? At very least, after the first generation of breeding, those aren't exactly wild animals anymore. Why aren't my sixth generation kitty cats acting exactly like my dumb sheep or trained horses? A life sim with pets should let us craft pet beds, pet bowls, pet toys. We should be able to pet, play, cuddle, feed, train tricks, and interact with our pets. They should be able to toggle a basic "follow me" command - not for combat necessarily, but to just be that farmyard dog that is always at its master's heels. 

And then there's hobbies - life isn't all just daily chores and hard work all day (even in the middle ages!). Where are the frivolous activities? Checkers is a great start, bring on chess sets, dominoes (bones), othello, card games, dice games. What about sewing and weaving for "fun" - embroidery and needlepoint; crafting woven baskets and blankets, and decor like curtains, decorative pillows, etc. Can I use the flowers I just picked to make a daisy chain to wear, or to hang on the wall? Throwing snowballs is great... what about footballs and hacky-sacks? What about cleaning (repairing?) chain maille by playing piggy-in-the-middle like they used to do? Just need to combine a sack, some sand, and your maille coif... and have some friends to play it with, LOL. And I dunno about anyone else, but I wouldn't mind some artistic activities - painting? sculpting? whittling? 

Plus, there's honestly so much more that could be expanded in the "fantasy" aspect of Wurm. Unicorns are fun... but so is crafting potions. Learning magic. Finding fairies and pixies in the forest. Being burned as a witch. Going to research (and get to know) the mermaids that live beyond the harbor. Dragon wrangling or taming. Inscribing your own illuminated bestiary. I know Wurm is supposed to be more "historical fantasy" than "high fantasy"... but what is life in Generic Medieval Fantasy without dwarves and brownies and dryads and naiads. Where is the secret society of Druids? Where is the Thieves' Guild? When can I join the Harpers? We've got goblins and trolls, but no gnomes. I can kill a hell hound, but I can't summon a fairy godmother. Even IRL  life back then wasn't only "mud, muck, and then you die." 

Wurm doesn't need to spawn NPCs and quest givers or hand-hold us at every turn... but, like, just populate the world with items and creatures and objects and framework & we'll take care of interacting and bringing it to life. 

Anyway... I'm excited about the underlying idea of "Moar Life Sim" elements and mechanics and support. YES PLEASE. 

This particular "wedding / marriage" idea.... ehhhh, not so much. Babies? No, save those for The Sims.  

Some changes made in the topic based on the comments. Thanks for thinking with me.