Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

How were food recipes named after their creators made permanent?

I see a lot of interesting permanent recipes that are named after Wurm players:

Poppie's Golden Spaghetti, Pingpong's bearshark burger, Pandalet's One True Pizza...

How did these recipes come about, and how were they added to the game? How often do such additions take place?

Some are hard coded as a thanks to people who helped with testing, others are a select list that adopt the name of the first on the server to create it, so changing server you will see the same recipe with someone elses name

• Like 3

I think there was also a contest when the cooking patch first came out, wasn't there?

"... with the top three getting the creators name in the dish!"  -- Retro

some voting results from that

I'd like to congratulate the lucky top ten, as these recipes will now be in the 1.3 launch of Wurm Unlimited, but thats not all!

Now it's your turn to pick your top three, with the lucky winners getting their name on the recipe ingame!

The others will receive the non name version (x's salted port will become salted pork)  -- RETROGRADE

and from the earlier  Wurm 1.3 Patch Notes:

• Some recipes are nameable this means that whoever is the first to make the item for that recipe, will have their name added to the front of that recipe name, e.g. if Pifa was first to make a meat curry (assuming that was nameable) then it would show to everyone, when they discover it, as “Pifa’s meat curry”.
  • These recipes can be named on each server. E.g. the same recipe can be name by multiple people so long as different servers.
  • Note only one recipe can be named per person.
  • Some recipes are pre-named.

I am thinking Pandalet's One True Pizza however falls into the category SmeJack mentioned, of thanks due to the tremendous help Pandalet gave in getting the cooking patch live, and documenting it into guides for players.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I can confirm that there are a few 'pre-named' recipes, which will be the same everywhere, such as my pizza and Tich's jalfrezi, which we put in when implementing cooking.  There are also a number of awful puns (you're welcome) and hidden jokes, often in the descriptions of dishes rather than the names.  There are also a number of 'nameable' recipes, as Brash covered above, which will automatically pick up the name of the first person on a server to make them.  Unfortunately, due to a systems glitch, we lost a chunk of the early data on some of these, so some of the recipes that got named early on lost their original discoverers' names, and got renamed.

A lot of the nameable recipes are versions of generic recipes, with specific ingredients, for example where a meat curry might use any meat and any oil, etc, there could be a nameable version that needs dragon meat and nutmeg oil.  From memory, and it has been a little while since I last checked, there are still a few recipes out there that haven't been named yet.