Sign in to follow this  
Deathangel

Gain +1 stackable +1 CR on PvP Death, lasts 24 hrs ondeed only

With MR getting steamrolled on Chaos right now, I can't help but remember the many kingdoms that have quit the server. Usually it ends with a marathon siege of deed disassembly and repeat kills of defenders until defenders have no gear to fight with, or no desire to lose anymore. I think it is unlikely new players can defend their deeds against this zerg play style that characterizes well staffed, experienced kingdoms.

What if defenders, while on deed only, received a CR bonus for every pvp death in the previous 24hrs? I don't fight in my good gear, but when my deed is under "final siege" I'm more likely to fight in my good gear with a defenders bonus ondeed. This might help with player retention too, at least for basic survival.

You could swap this stacking bonus out with any other stacking bonus for repeatedly killed defenders ondeed. This is just the 2nd thing that came to my mind. You could further limit the bonus by making only ondeed deaths count toward it. Also, I wanted to suggest a 72hr bonus, since the hardcore raids I'm talking about are usually multiday efforts, and the average defender might only have 2 gear sets on hand for herself.

DA

Edited by Deathangel

1 minute ago, Deathangel said:

This might help with player retention too, at least for basic survival.

Majority of the playerbase is freedom, deed builder style players if I remember right. This would aid them in maintaining a presence on pvp servers, if they gain bonuses for defending their deeds. I think For it to be worth the gear loss to a casual player, it would need to be a steeper bonus per death, like +3CR per death. That way, losing 3 sets of gear, or being humiliated 3 times, makes you +9CR stronger while you wear your "reserve gear" ondeed for end-game defense. It could be damage bonus, or damage resistance alternatively. There's a real life thing where people have no way out of a situation and they become stronger when they know it is the end. This wouldn't be too unrealistic.

4 minutes ago, Deathangel said:

it would need to be a steeper bonus per death

Actually, it could be programmed to boost the deceased defender with identical damage resistance, CR, etc as the strongest raider on the deathtab. A soft buff with a 72hr cooldown. Only deaths ondeed count, bonus only works on deed.

4 minutes ago, Deathangel said:

Actually, it could be programmed to boost the deceased defender with identical damage resistance, CR, etc as the strongest raider on the deathtab. A soft buff with a 72hr cooldown. Only deaths ondeed count, bonus only works on deed.

But I worked hard for my strength and earned my ability to crush weaker players on their last crutch of defense on Chaos. If I want to run someone off the server, I need to be able to do it easily. Sometimes, I want to grief them so bad they quit for good. I've dug token pits so badly they can't be built on anymore after draining the deed. Then I have also drained the deed consecutive days until it disbands, killing any ungeared repairers in my way. Then I bash all defendable doors on deed, or wall them in after I've pried every large maul out off the dead defender bodies, so they can't bash their walled in gatehops ondeed with mayor bonus. I know this game struggles with retention, but don't make new players strong as me. I need the upper hand I worked for.

Just now, Deathangel said:

But I worked hard for my strength and earned my ability to crush weaker players on their last crutch of defense on Chaos. If I want to run someone off the server, I need to be able to do it easily. Sometimes, I want to grief them so bad they quit for good. I've dug token pits so badly they can't be built on anymore after draining the deed. Then I have also drained the deed consecutive days until it disbands, killing any ungeared repairers in my way. Then I bash all defendable doors on deed, or wall them in after I've pried every large maul out off the dead defender bodies, so they can't bash their walled in gatehops ondeed with mayor bonus. I know this game struggles with retention, but don't make new players strong as me. I need the upper hand I worked for.

How else can weaker groups survive? The most I've died defending in one siege was twice. So I used a 3rd set of gear I scrounged together. I would have seriously benefited from a temporary buff that evens the defending playing field. Why don't you disagree with counter-suggestions to solve the problem mentioned, the problem of retention that the game has struggled with for years? Don't you love wurm and want it to grow up and be a household title someday? My 3rd set of gear should really count, at least make me a strong as my enemy.

How else can weaker groups survive? The most I've died defending in one siege was twice. So I used a 3rd set of gear I scrounged together. I would have seriously benefited from a temporary buff that evens the defending playing field. Why don't you disagree with counter-suggestions to solve the problem mentioned, the problem of retention that the game has struggled with for years? Don't you love wurm and want it to grow up and be a household title someday? My 3rd set of gear should really count, at least make me a strong as my enemy.

Plenty (3?) of freedom independent settlers survive on Chaos without a deed. Often they receive neutrality from the big guys. I don't see why this is necessary for retention if loners are already able to thrive with things as is.

Plenty (3?) of freedom independent settlers survive on Chaos without a deed. Often they receive neutrality from the big guys. I don't see why this is necessary for retention if loners are already able to thrive with things as is.

Well, loners are great, but friends, in a community, often encourage eachother to reprem up in spurts of activity. A small group is usually a threat or target to the big guys, compared to a lone nonprem freedomer. So this suggestion actually benefits the small groups, who could potentially all become ondeed bosses that can call targets and drop enemies draining their token on consecutive raid days.

16 minutes ago, Deathangel said:

I think the bonus should increase for Pvp deaths on friendly deeds, but it should be effective anywhere within friendly influence, so you can at least run enemies off your turn/locale.

rocktwo running out with 100cr to defend his homeland after a few hours of trying to grab battering rams and catapaults is gonna be scary affffffffff