Sign in to follow this  
Zexos

Horse Problem at Sea

Can we do something about the mass amount of horses that are taking really long swimming lessons?

My Suggestion: A Horse can only swim in the water if they are being lead on a rope by a player or it is tamed.

or make it so that horse's can only swim for a certain amount of time before taking damage. (This is for anyone who might be leading their horse while in a boat and then a server issue or something like connection problems etc happens)

I have also seen alot of them at the server's edge in the water as well.

Edit: Another Good Suggestion by TheTrickster:

Any horse not on an "edible" tile should be getting hungry, and hunger should drive them to seek out the nearest fodder.

That way a horse in water that is not being led will of its own volition seek out dry ground or at the least shallows with seawead rushes or something.

But then, what will I do for horses when I leave my home server?  😁  Currently I just grab a swimmy one on my way in from the border.

Edit: A Good Suggestion by Themystrix

15 hours ago, Themystrix said:

All the 0- speed horses should start taking dmg like any other when too long in the water (drowning) because out of stamina, hens going too deep, doesn't take long for them to die for example. All other under 5- speed should die.. say in a week if not lead by anyone?

5-speed / branded / cared for / tamed animals shouldn't die in any situation by this. Thoughts?

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 1

err no, imagine dc-ing for whatever reason and losing your favorite horse because of server maintenance/restart/your loss of internet/electricity lasting 1-2min to few hours, or just being too late and for whatever reason you decide to log off and continue with your business tomorrow.. R. I. P. 5sp favorite horse/s.

Could be made so .. (wild)0-speed horses within 1-2 locals(or whatever amount of tiles) from server's border start taking damage every day at 00:00 server time, additional check could be checking if they are in the water and the depth below them is .... to be sure if they should be put out of their misery; end their suffering and player's quest to find horses inland

Are wild horses on the border a bug though? Their place seems to be anywhere but there.. yet we see them spawned near the server borders.

--edit

ps. guess the horse spawn script checks for places far from people and aggressive creatures, but doesn't care if it's in the water.. so.. we end up with this? maybe.. maybe not

Edited by Finnn

All the 0- speed horses should start taking dmg like any other when too long in the water (drowning) because out of stamina, hens going too deep, doesn't take long for them to die for example. All other under 5- speed should die.. say in a week if not lead by anyone?

5-speed / branded / cared for / tamed animals shouldn't die in any situation by this. Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Themystrix said:

That sounds like a much better idea yeah.

I did not think about horse speeds.  Or even it just effecting wild horses/0 - 1 speed horses only kind of thing.

I hope you don't mind that I added your suggestion to the topic.

Any horse not on an "edible" tile should be getting hungry, and hunger should drive them to seek out the nearest fodder.

That way a horse in water that is not being led will of its own volition seek out dry ground or at the least shallows with seawead rushes or something.

But then, what will I do for horses when I leave my home server?  😁  Currently I just grab a swimmy one on my way in from the border.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Yeah that's a good idea.  An idea to help save any horses then just killing them.  So that they get back on land.  That is another way of solving the issue.

• Like 1

1 theres to many in oceans cut the amount spawned ,and trolls no not to go in water give horses the same rules unless leading

Or maybe just fix the code so horses don't go into water tiles by themselves in the first place.

1. Make em die of hunger in 30 days max. This also fixes the issue where someone dc'd or might have a power outage. But 30 days is a reasonable timeframe to recover 1 horse. Remember guys. It's just 1 horse. Realistically we have cages now to prevent such issues.

2. Add slope and water depth restrictions.

3. This also ties in to suggestions about animal pathing regarding slopes and mountains.

4. Horses shouldn't spawn on water tiles in the first place, regardless of depth.

• Like 1

I am not fond of the ideas. Rather there may be a low priority inquiry by the devs for the root cause of horses amassing in lakes (do they, really? or are they just more visible?), and if sensibly possible, preventing horses spawning on water tiles. Else, let them swim. When on my way to rifts, I often grabbed a few of them to bring them to the safe pen for summoned players when having slots left on the halter rope. If you hate horses swimming in your neighboured lake, just catch them and lead them on land.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I am not fond of the ideas. Rather there may be a low priority inquiry by the devs for the root cause of horses amassing in lakes (do they, really? or are they just more visible?), and if sensibly possible, preventing horses spawning on water tiles. Else, let them swim. When on my way to rifts, I often grabbed a few of them to bring them to the safe pen for summoned players when having slots left on the halter rope. If you hate horses swimming in your neighboured lake, just catch them and lead them on land.

Seeing 1 horse in the ocean can be shrugged off as one of those minor bugs you can encounter in any game. Seeing 500 horses on an entire coastline is pretty much immersion breaking. Places like the north side of Desertion are a typical example of how awful it looks.

As for rifts, well if you really want to bring a horse, load a horse cage on a knarr and you're set. Or several cages for backups.

I'd like animal pathing and spawning to be fixed in general. No more trolls or crocodiles on 800+slopes, no more pigs on top of mountains with nothing to eat, I'd like the environment to actually make sense. In all decent fantasy books, rpgs and games the ecology makes sense. Wurm, not so much.

Wurm Online is pretty much the only game I've ever seen where a newbie can enter the game, exit the starter town and get owned by high level mobs such as trolls or scorpions, while sheep lazily graze near said mobs, rarely being attacked.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Yes, prevent them spawning in water if possible.  I also agree about letting them swim, but something that prompts them to limit their time in the water is needed in that case.  Real horses don't just go for a swim for giggles and stay in the water indefinitely.

Catching them and leading them to land is not really a practical solution at all.  There are far too many, and often far from "walkable" land.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:53 PM, TheTrickster said:

Yes, prevent them spawning in water if possible.  I also agree about letting them swim, but something that prompts them to limit their time in the water is needed in that case.  Real horses don't just go for a swim for giggles and stay in the water indefinitely.

+1 To not spawning in water and having a timer that makes them eventually swim back to land. Or if it's easier just make them drown or unable to swim as a hotfix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zuelatak said:

+1 To not spawning in water and having a timer that makes them eventually swim back to land. Or if it's easier just make them drown or unable to swim as a hotfix.

Animals and monsters spawning where they should would be nice if the devs actually had any clue how to implement that, they have tried that several times.

So, before that, would be nice making some restrictions to horses survival in water... might be more optimistic.

If it only were just couple horses swimming there would be no problem, but its the horse masses + those freedomers horses that think killing a bred horse is wrong and then they let those roam freely to server borders where they cause problems.