Sign in to follow this  
Hendic

Historical Map of Western Harmony

Lately, on my archaeological journeyings, I've taken to recording the location of lost deeds and have compiled them into a map of Harmony's past. I'm heavily inspired by 17th/18th century ink maps, but aim to put my own spin on it. I've been tinkering with it for a while, but now I think I'm ready to show a first draft. I currently only have western Harmony partially filled in (as I live there), but would like to start filling in the rest of Harmony as my playtime allows.

The map itself is much too large to post here directly, but here is a small section of it, roughly around the canal at N14:

4rVVamN.png

Map here: Historical Map of Western Harmony

Size Warning: The full image is roughly 2100x3200 and 12mb in size.

Notes

• Western Harmony only for now, eventual goal of all of Harmony (maybe lol).
  • Only deeds that have disbanded, that I have either started a report on or heavily suspect the location of.
  • Gimp was used to create the image (with many many layers).
  • The mountains and flourishes are from the Homann and Harrewyn brush sets by K. M. Alexander.
  • I loosely followed an ink map tutorial and map style guide.
  • Everything is a work-in-progress. Especially the label shading, font selections, and mountains.

I've had a lot of fun compiling this map, I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 6

This is really impressive, you've done a great job so far. Being a fellow resident of the Great Britain of Harmony, it is both interesting and a little sad, to see so many neighbours who have come and gone.

Edited by Arronicus
To stick it to the hedge funds.

Thanks! I know quite a few of those deeds were people who left for cadence, at least one was for a unique slaying, and a few were people just moving locations. There are even a couple that are being resettled by the same original owners. But there are still plenty of people active, building up their deed or building roads or making crazy things.

I totally get that bittersweet feeling though: last week I was wandering though a chestnut forest that I'd been through so many times before. There are no deeds for hundreds of tiles around when suddenly there is a two lane highway out of nowhere. It really took me aback. Maybe I wasn't where I thought I was? But I'd been through here so many times before, there was never anything out here at all. Someone had come along and built this road and a part of this forest I knew so well was gone. It is a sad feeling, but now I get the excitement of seeing things change. Maybe someone will move in now and I get to see that change too. That's both the sadness and beauty of wurm for me.