Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

What good is a lunch box?

I put a sandwich inside it and it was rotten within 2 hours. It's like a miniature trash heap? I could have just put it into a pottery bowl, to save myself the headache. Please enlighten me?

• Like 1

2 hours?  I usually get a lot longer than that.  Was it two hours while in game of two hours offline? (Not that it SHOULD make a difference).  I have found that outside of a larder, making something with salt, wrapping in wax paper and then putting it in a lunchbox helps it to keep a lot longer.

From the info on Wurmpedia, it should make food last a bit more than 3 times as long as without.  Salt should double that.  I am not sure how of the exact amount of protection that waxed paper gives.

hmmm,  perhaps the QL of the lunchbox is an issue.

50 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

2 hours?  I usually get a lot longer than that.  Was it two hours while in game of two hours offline? (Not that it SHOULD make a difference).  I have found that outside of a larder, making something with salt, wrapping in wax paper and then putting it in a lunchbox helps it to keep a lot longer.

From the info on Wurmpedia, it should make food last a bit more than 3 times as long as without.  Salt should double that.  I am not sure how of the exact amount of protection that waxed paper gives.

hmmm,  perhaps the QL of the lunchbox is an issue.

I've had a lunchbox around 40ql explode a freshly made breakfast with salt in like 5 hours. There's likely something wrong with 'em, they're a total waste even if you just consider these situations unlucky. 

A few patches ago, lunchboxes would keep my meals fresh for weeks. Right now my lunchbox starts spoiling food in hours. Something tells me a recent patch may have broken them.

The thermos part seems to still work normally, so if you really want to carry around a 1kg box to keep 2 kg of soup or alcohol fresh, it's not useless.. I guess.

I've stopped carrying mine until they get patched.

[2021-01-25] [14:10:49] You get a portion of the wrapped full house pizza.

[2021-01-29] [16:33:14] The wrapped portion of full house pizza tastes so good you almost feel like singing.

4 days in lunchbox in inventory and only 13 damage, seems fine to me

Ive encountered the same issue with the Straw Picnic basket ql 99.  I put a wrapped portion of full house pizza ql of 70.  and logged out a few hours later,  came back about 6 hours later and there was over 10damage on the pizza.  It was in my inventory, pizza was wrapped and it was good ql so it doesnt make much sense. Im also thinking that a recent patch may have broken them,  Im hoping that you can look into it for us, when you have time.  Please 🥺 and thank you:D

• Like 1

Actually, prepared food lasts longer /outside/ of your inventory than inside it.

It's possible that fact affects what's put in lunchboxes as well.

I know this from my experience travelling in boats.  Putting the food I prepared for the trip in the boat's hold let it last longer than the exact same food kept in my inventory.

Remember, food is one of the exceptions about items and materials not taking decay damage in your inventory.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 2

I can't comment on Lunchboxes but I can say that Picnic Baskets are excellent for storing small meals (weight under 2.25 I think) under certain conditions. I keep mine on deed in a house on the floor and after a number of months not logging in the meal inside had no decay and was still hot! This has always been the case if stored in this way and is very handy when actively playing because you may not eat the whole meal sometimes and can log in a few days later and still have the hot meal bonus for eating what remains.

=Ayes=

food lunch box/picnic basket in a saddle bag on a horse.. zero decay, at least for me.  Got a horse on a deed on another server, went over there after 40 some days, food still zero dmg

• Like 1

As Tristanc, Ayes and Nomadikhan have noted - lunch boxes and picnic baskets slow the decay of food, but when lunch boxes and picnic baskets are carried in player inventory, they're still subject to the inventory penalty and decay faster.

Keep them in saddle bags, vehicles, or buildings and it will be weeks before you see decay on the food items.

• Like 6

On 2/20/2021 at 8:56 AM, Nomadikhan said:

food lunch box/picnic basket in a saddle bag on a horse.. zero decay, at least for me.  Got a horse on a deed on another server, went over there after 40 some days, food still zero dmg

Wow, terrific tip. Will try this asap!

• Like 1