Sign in to follow this  
Arno

Protect certain items from accidentally being used as a bandage

I am happy that more items are now protected from being used to fuel a fire, however I am still worried about another way of losing important items.

It should not be possible to accidentally use your favorite rare/enchanted/runed cotton or wool item for first aid.

Enchanted cotton or wool items that can be combined should still be usable for first aid.

Edit for clarity.
I was refering to these changes: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wurm_Server_Release_Notes_2021#210128_Patch_Notes_28.2FJAN.2F21

Edited by Arno
  • Like 2

You can't accidentally use an item, you have to click it. You already have to interact with and there is a timer. If both of these actions are ignored then there is still inventory groups to prevent like items being confused for each other. Also items are able to be named. Is a 5th safeguard needed still?

You don't always remember to check what item you have activated. It could be a fishing net or puppet that you were using.

There is no feedback about what item you are using as a bandage during the timer.

I think these items should be protected from first aid in the same way they are protected from accidentally being used as fuel or sold to token.

• Like 1

+1

i would say that rare/supreme cloth items should be just as valuable as any rare/supreme wooden items. So if one is deemed valuable enough for a protective mechanism, the other should too.

And the most recent patch showed us that its something that can be done (protection of rare wooden item being used for 'burn' action), so there is no reason not to implement this for cloth items...

Can and should are not the same. Player inattentiveness should not be the sole reason for an added feature. Especially when there are plenty of chances for the player to take responsibility for their own actions.

12 minutes ago, armyskin said:

Can and should are not the same. Player inattentiveness should not be the sole reason for an added feature. Especially when there are plenty of chances for the player to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes, that can be an effective argument. i'm sure some players agree we shouldn't 'childproof' the game too much. I agree too, to a certain degree.

But, this is exactly what the latest patch just did, it just offered a safety-net for players with rare/supreme/enchanted wooden tools from accidentally burning their items.

Therefore, it stands to reason that player inattentiveness WAS the sole reason for an added feature in this case.

Granted, burning is instantaneous, while as you said, bandaging is a timer-based action. However, i think a QoL improvement never hurt anyone.

Maybe not urgently needed change, but would be a welcome one nonetheless. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 2:11 PM, armyskin said:

New players often do things on purpose but without fully understanding the consequences: That's not the result of inattentiveness but rather the effects of being able to do anything in a game with a steep learning curve. For an older player it might be nice to be able to burn birch tools or slap a tent on a wound, but for a newer player there might be value in putting an opt-in checkbox for such actions. A new player has a lot more longterm value from spawning with a tent and a shovel after each death than from being able to slap the tent on a wound one time. (I don't know if tents can in fact still be used on wounds, just using an example of something that used to go sideways a lot right when tents were introduced)

I used my rare jacket red one old type for bandage wond ... +1 for this.

I haven't had this issue yet but I can definitely see the frustration here. +1

Difference is that burn is instant but with first aid you have time to realize it. Best safety net is to create inventory group called healing, that forces you to activate right item for first aid whenever you need it.

Here are some related threads.

Edited by Arno
  • Like 1

The new christmas stocking can not be used as fuel either.

However any new player can use it to bandage before they manage to get all of their gifts.
At the very least those gifts should be protected just like tents are.