Sign in to follow this  
Artashes

Project FRAM

Added to Fabryz's map of the NBV area to link it to Reborn/ERL.

87534-CG3WLOS.png

Edit:

Removed the towers/boundaries.

87532-V44G3MM.png

Also I am Peterc from NBV, dunno who Zaugurz is.

<pic>

Thanks - with Reborn in as well, I can place that section to within a couple of tiles of where it should be.

If possible, could I have a version without the towers and deed boundaries/tokens marked, so I can see the underlying terrain?

Also, could someone (Fabryz) clarify what the colours used on the coastal section represent? They don't match my key or the old CMP one. I'm guessing purple might be clay, and the bluish colour marsh, but not sure about the others.

Finally, PeterC = Zaugurz? And if so, which name would you like in the map credits?  :D

Artashes, I've just planted an S5 village in the land between Exodus Haven and Woodbank. Look for development there soon. :)

<pic>

Thanks - with Reborn in as well, I can place that section to within a couple of tiles of where it should be.

If possible, could I have a version without the towers and deed boundaries/tokens marked, so I can see the underlying terrain?

Also, could someone (Fabryz) clarify what the colours used on the coastal section represent? They don't match my key or the old CMP one. I'm guessing purple might be clay, and the bluish colour marsh, but not sure about the others.

Finally, PeterC = Zaugurz? And if so, which name would you like in the map credits?  :D

I used the same colors of the tiles of the mapper, the ones in the minimap:

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mapper/map.html

No they're different person:

PeterC = PeterC, citizen of New BroVegas

Zaugurz = Zaugurz, major of El Rancho Nuevo or something. The village on the tiny island inside the lake on NW.

"Donner's Landing" (31x,25y) is a size 5 village. :)

Map legend (may need to be extended later):

Is FRAM excluding towers, wells and lairs? These are important and if people take the time to map them they should be included.

I haven't added towers and wells/fountains yet, but was intending to do so - hence the additional blank space in the map features section.

I'm not intending to add lairs - since the lifetime of a lair is maybe only 6 months, I don't really see a good reason to do this, when the information will rapidly get outdated.

why not??  I mean you are talking about adding random deeds without permission.

trying to hide something?? lol

anyhow I agree with all those who posted who say you have no rights to post others deed location without permission.

besides that deeds can be gone in way less than 6 months.

Map legend (may need to be extended later):

Is FRAM excluding towers, wells and lairs? These are important and if people take the time to map them they should be included.

I haven't added towers and wells/fountains yet, but was intending to do so - hence the additional blank space in the map features section.

I'm not intending to add lairs - since the lifetime of a lair is maybe only 6 months, I don't really see a good reason to do this, when the information will rapidly get outdated.

why not??  I mean you are talking about adding random deeds without permission.

trying to hide something?? lol

anyhow I agree with all those who posted who say you have no rights to post others deed location without permission.

besides that deeds can be gone in way less than 6 months.

I can't quite decide whether you are merely stupid, or just looking for any feeble excuse to have a pop at what is a collaborative project to make a useful map for both newbies and existing players.

Deeds are notified in event and area history when they fall, making it a relatively simple matter to keep the map up to date with regard to them (though I will of course have to remove the AoC layer, and maybe change all settlements to an "Unknown" size in future unless mayors volunteer their size and perimeter).

Lairs disappear without any such notification, and I don't hear you volunteering to go round and check constantly whether they are still there or not, and I'm certainly not planning to.

I've already said repeatedly that people can opt out of having their deed mapped / notified (with varying options), but that I don't really see the point. Deeds being on the map actually *helps* people to avoid an influx of newbies. If they see a blank spot however, they'll go there imagining it to be free, find there's a deed, and then quite possibly place close by as they don't want to travel further.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the many people saying to me "Great job, keep up the good work!", I'd be wondering why I was even bothering to try and help by producing this, given the kind of attitude people like you exhibit (and yet I'm sure you and other detractors will hypocritically be using the map).

Good job with the map! Moving to freedom very soon, and this will make the stay there easier : )

I can't quite decide whether you are merely stupid, or just looking for any feeble excuse to have a pop at what is a collaborative project to make a useful map for both newbies and existing players.

Deeds are notified in event and area history when they fall, making it a relatively simple matter to keep the map up to date with regard to them (though I will of course have to remove the AoC layer, and maybe change all settlements to an "Unknown" size in future unless mayors volunteer their size and perimeter).

Lairs disappear without any such notification, and I don't hear you volunteering to go round and check constantly whether they are still there or not, and I'm certainly not planning to.

I've already said repeatedly that people can opt out of having their deed mapped / notified (with varying options), but that I don't really see the point. Deeds being on the map actually *helps* people to avoid an influx of newbies. If they see a blank spot however, they'll go there imagining it to be free, find there's a deed, and then quite possibly place close by as they don't want to travel further.

Frankly, if it wasn't for the many people saying to me "Great job, keep up the good work!", I'd be wondering why I was even bothering to try and help by producing this, given the kind of attitude people like you exhibit (and yet I'm sure you and other detractors will hypocritically be using the map).

Well said.

OT: I have been mapping a large section of the west/southwest coast and mainland, and plan on sending you an email, Artashes, as soon as we get this whole "deed changes" situation worked out.  :)

Does anyone have plans for mapping the general area around old ginsu, abydos and oreo? If so, please post here.

Also, for elevation, how about having basic contour lines? For example, http://i45.tinypic.com/2qncc9w.jpg

It isn't perfect at all, and would probably ruin the map but if the advanced map was copied with something like this around some of the mountains/steeper areas it would be a little easier to see what the land would be like.

dont worry about the trolls and flamers. you are doing an outstanding job. id still map the terrain in the deeds that dont want to be included. just put o box around them saying claimed or something so people know not to bother trying to plant a deed near it.

New update published. Didn't do one last week, as I was in the middle of a big section. Only 3 contributions listed this week, but hopefully you'll agree they make a big impact, and the eastern side of the map is starting to take shape.

Does anyone have plans for mapping the general area around old ginsu, abydos and oreo? If so, please post here.

I probably won't get back there yet, so feel free to extend the little I did around Oreo. My plan is to finish Crystal Lake shore and then go and do the northern area from Samling to DS, to make the map more newbie-friendly, and also then join up with the Insanity area then Reborn, to let me use the contributions received so far in that area.

Also, for elevation, how about having basic contour lines? For example, http://i45.tinypic.com/2qncc9w.jpg

It isn't perfect at all, and would probably ruin the map but if the advanced map was copied with something like this around some of the mountains/steeper areas it would be a little easier to see what the land would be like.

I'm not sure about doing elevations. Either they're guesswork, or you have to check tile borders and sum them up (which is going to take forever - way longer than mapping the tile types, at any rate). Generally, the really steep areas either won't get mapped, or will show up as being areas of rock on the map.

However, once the whole landmass is done, regardless of how far we've got with filling in the detail, if someone wanted to draw a rough contour map over it, as long as they picked a unique colour, it'd be a simple matter to extract that from an image and include it as a layer.

I probably won't get back there yet, so feel free to extend the little I did around Oreo.

Oreo is in the middle of having roads built through it, once that is complete, i'll probs make a new map for Oreo.

Wow saw the full map for the first time tonight...

Ive got to say it looks GREAT! :o

keep up the great work! ;D

As i've been mapping the mountain i live at ive noticed that the actual tile by tile section is really confusing in relation to the 3d shape of the landscape.  I can't think of a good way to repressent the actual topography of the map but if someone came up with something that would make this much more useful in the long run (i intend to use the information for road building projects and not knowing the actual terrain could complicate things)

A layer of grayscale (possibly in purple, or another unused colour) representing height -- dark for very high, light for sea-level -- would probably make it easier to read topography.  If people are willing to track such a thing of course.

Great job, keep up the good work!

I am on the map  and dont want to be :( anyway to be removed if u know my deed you know i made it hidden

I am on the map  and dont want to be :( anyway to be removed if u know my deed you know i made it hidden

Well, you can pm Artashes with the name of your deed:

I'll be happy to remove deeds if people find theirs is on there and don't want it recorded, but I think I'd rather make it generally inclusive, rather than exclusive. And if anyone wants to pre-emptively send me their deed name, and say they don't want it on the map (as and when their area gets mapped), that's fine too.

The new deed changes do raise the question of what distance from a token should be left off the map.  If someone can build 5 tiles off your deed, should the map blackout be deed + 5 tiles in all directions?  Or, since your perimeter can overlap with neighbor's perimeters, maybe just the deed itself?

from what ive read hes just gonna black out the area if you dont let him post your deed.

SO it wont be hidden anyways.

from what ive read hes just gonna black out the area if you dont let him post your deed.

SO it wont be hidden anyways.

Not quite - here are the options I gave earlier:

While I would like the map to be as complete and accurate as possible, I refuse to put downright misleading information on the map (such as marking an area as forest when I'm aware of the existence of a settlement in it), so I'll provide four levels of 'opt-out' for deed holders:

a. Not having the deed name on the map - deed will be represented as an "unknown settlement" type, with AoC of a s5 HS, and no name. Terrain (with buildings) will be mapped.

b. Not having the deed on the map - no deed will be shown at all, terrain (with buildings) will be mapped.

c. Not having the deed area mapped - all of this area will be left blacked out.

d. Not having the deed area or AoC mapped - all of this area will be left blacked out.

I'll also be blacking out any area not on deed or AoC which I'm not able to observe due to walls, unless the owner chooses to let me in to complete mapping.

From the perspective of not attracting attention (if that's the reason you don't want your deed mapped) I'd actually strongly recommend asking me for option b. above - that way, people may be able to see there are buildings there, but there is nothing to draw their attention to that particular area of the map any more than to any other area, so unless they happen to choose to go to that area, they won't know that there is a deed there. This is also the option I'll use if people don't specify exactly what they want.

To me, a blacked out area on the map is rather like putting up a huge sign saying "I'm here but I want to be left alone", and there are always those in online games who like nothing more than to deny others what they want, and this will inevitably I think, attract unwelcome attention from some quarters. I provide it as an option, since I have no other choice where I am denied access by physical barriers (and I've already said I don't intend to break these down, even where it is possible for me to do so), but I do not recommend it.

Some deed holders have already done me the courtesy of allowing me into fenced-off compounds, to complete mapping of the area, and I think this works best, regardless of whether you want your deed and AoC on the map or not. I would hope (and suggest) that others do the same, as I think it is to their benefit as well as this project's, but I cannot (and don't intend to try to) force anyone to do this.

Fine just leave up my deed i guess if people see it just terrain they will come looking to plant anyways

I probably won't get back there yet, so feel free to extend the little I did around Oreo.

Oreo is in the middle of having roads built through it, once that is complete, i'll probs make a new map for Oreo.

Yeah that's why I was going to give a go at mapping it, there's roads connecting where I am at the minute to abydos and a few other deeds around the area.