DevBlog

Patch Notes 28/JAN/21

14 hours ago, Samool said:

We've actually made this "glowing" change after a significant amount of complaints that the tabs on the new UI that have new messages are not visible enough.

I'd say it worked so far since we haven't had those complaints reappear, but what do you suggest as an alternative?

My suggestion: tabs could either only glow for a given time after they're updated with new content, or we could add an option to disable the blinking entirely.

my general suggestion is more options in this situation is better you are right you are not getting those complaints now but you are getting ours instead :D. My suggestion either have a disable blink option ( non default if that would help we got plenty in profile that has options for tabs if you go looking) You could also set up an option for it to blink twice then stop until it's been checked therefor cleared the way the old system worked. With the old ui it also blinks! but it does it a couple of times as a Here is a new this tab! and then doesn't Blick again until after you click on that tab thus clearing the notification. Even when there are multiple new lines in that window over time it just stays red. it doesnt flash again for your attention unless you cleared the red by checking the tab. If you don't check it then it just stay red as a reminder "hey I got new stuff!" it doesnt sit there and pulse. which is 90% of my problem with the new system.

From a programing standpoint I don't know how difficult or easy it would be to set up separate options I wont say its easy!  but if the tabs literally never. stop. blinkin. they will just get ignored and its no better then having no notification at all. People are going to miss things again. Or in my case when I keep trying the new ui with each update I start going through profile as disabling as much of the chat tabs/windows I can before I get frustrated and I then double click it to minimize it and put a different ui element on top of it to get away from the blinking .Its just being constant visual noise which is a visual migraine trigger for me thus me being vocal about it in the forum. Imo this is arguably worse then what we had before.

Maybe a dif analogy lets take my eye sight sensitivity out of the equation as I recognize I am a very small minority in this situation this isnt going to effect peoples health as a general rule.So Same concept except ": If your dog barks a couple times something is probably up when it doesnt normally bark so you go check whats going on but you have some control over the dog to keep it from just barking all day. But! If the dog barks all day and night  when its not your dog so you cant do anything about it you tune it out or it drives you nuts. This is actually worse then not being useful. A Food delivery, mail knock, or heck a bugler is still going to walk right past or in the case of the burgler walk in because you are ignoring the constant noise that is likely covering up any knocking or breaking in that would be heard if it there was no dog at all :D

Edited by Yserin
tried to be clearer
  • Like 1

very good updae :)
only one thing not works :(  after cast Bloodthrist it still not updates in pop-up window :(

As a gamer I have had my fair share of angry post to game developers over the years but this is not one of them.

I just want to say after playing Wurm on and off for many years and seeing a few Admins, Developers and Mods come and go that this team right here right now is doing an awesome job!

Thank you for not giving up on us and this wonderful game.

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Samool said:

We've actually made this "glowing" change after a significant amount of complaints that the tabs on the new UI that have new messages are not visible enough.

I'd say it worked so far since we haven't had those complaints reappear, but what do you suggest as an alternative?

My suggestion: tabs could either only glow for a given time after they're updated with new content, or we could add an option to disable the blinking entirely.

I would so appreciate an option to disable the glow/blinking. I compulsively tab through and clear the highlights away all the time even though I'm not actually following the chats. I'd really love a right click option to selectively toggle notifications per tab, so the tab can stay open but not demand attention when there is new content.

20 hours ago, Samool said:

My suggestion: tabs could either only glow for a given time after they're updated with new content,

this I would prefer 

Only thing that makes me sad about this patch notse is that ther is no singe of a fix for the Defiance seacreature spawn. Great patch.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, Samool said:

I am ENTIRELY for the no blinking and whatever 2 color separation between unchecked and checked tabs(like the way it was in the old UI); initially with the new ui it didn't work well with the color theme, maybe that triggered the new player(s).

As somebody working on a pc.. having something blinking constantly is distracting, and no control over it is .. another issue

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, Samool said:

I'd agree for the second option, there are a lot of people that can't stand the blinking. Since Myspace, blinking text should be avoided.  I realize it may be a hassle but this should be an option for people to disable the blinking if they need to.

20 hours ago, Tampa said:

I'd agree for the second option, there are a lot of people that can't stand the blinking. Since Myspace, blinking text should be avoided.  I realize it may be a hassle but this should be an option for people to disable the blinking if they need to.

I agree. From the choice of two options, I'd rather have the ability to toggle off as a setting.  I'd rather not have notifications of any kind dependant on being there in front of the monitor within a given time and instead believe in empowering players to be able to customize their experience and toggle on or off as best fits what they need at the time.