Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Creature trait / taming rework

• Domesticating certain animals like Wild Cats.
  • Cooking skill for making treats for your pet.
  • Be able to groom them like we can now, but also pet them and other things to keep them loyal instead of taming them 20 more times to increase loyalty.
  • Ability to create pet feeders (bowls) and toys (part of toy making with these new game boards) to retain loyalty.
  • Have the creatures after being at a certain loyalty get a skill level (with special moves) so we can go out fighting and skill up our new animal partner making it stronger.  Need to be able to track it's skill level and how strong it's becoming.
  • Make traits when breeding more valuable for combat.
  • Tame more than 1 creature at a time based on skill level (can tame a second creature after 50 taming skill).  I know you can have bears and hell hounds lead your large cart and only seen it done couple of times years ago.
  • Make it easier to control creatures that are tame like always following you unless they are attacking something without having to be lead again.
  • Rework Animal Husbandry at the same time of doing taming since they are related.  Would guess taming and AH would work together for certain additions.

I've probably posted this same suggestion 4+ years ago.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 12

The way things are going, they will probably add all of this and still not fix how AH is broken.

+1 Give some love to animal taming I have several suggested topics on that.

+1

both are garbage if we just start talking about depth what you can do as high skilled on the two.. if you arent a Fo priest or Mag priest you're a cripple.. "great content:" 

7 hours ago, nicedreams said:

Tame more than 1 creature at a time based on skill level (can tame a second creature after 50 taming skill).  I know you can have bears and hell hounds lead your large cart and only seen it done couple of times years ago.

+1 Yes please!

+1 

Taming is such an awful grind that with additions like these could become a lot more passive and fun.

AH as Finn said if you're not a Fo priest you are actively hurting yourself to level beyond 50, and that don't make sense.

I would also add to @nicedreamssuggestion the following

1. Can breed tamed creatures with a different set of "animal traits" for pet lovers.

2. Said animal traits would be : Loyalty (creature stays tame for way longer) , calm temperament (reduced chance to attack you), playful (likes to wander around the deed, but never strays too far), intelligent (can follow commands easily). 

3. Add to the store special skins for tamed pets such as cats and dogs  : Golden retriever, german shepperd, Maine coon cat, etc. 

4. The ability to craft toys for pets (toymaking) and such. 

5. Have pets such as wolves be useful in pvp at sniffing out enemies at range. 

6. The ability to have 1 combat pet tamed and 1 non-combat pet tamed (you can set which pet is combat flagged and which is not). Example Hell horse would be tamed for non combat, while a wolf (tamed for combat) could follow you to sniff out enemies or specific prey. 

7. Have commands such as "Track (sniff?) = Animal_Unicorn or Track = Animal_Troll.

8. In order to fullfill such commands, pets need to be trained with taming to do so. E.g. use bear fur on a dog to learn its scent so it can track bears in the future. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

Right now the biggest issue is that your pet is a target magnet, there is no clear way to save it from being killed if the combat started other than killing the aggressive mob before your pet dies. Leading or riding away is another solution but way too stressful. Need a passive mode for pets.

• Like 2

Would love to have a way to take some kinds of creatures and breed a 'domesticated' line...  have pet cats and dogs (and more) available for sale/trade...

A domesticated dog or cat could be set to stay on the home deed all the time...  or in a house.

Absolutely +1! Taming is one of my favorite parts of the game, but it can absolutely be better. I like these ideas you've listed.

+1 but tamed animals on Wurm are Dumb. 

Like seriously dumb and low AI. 

Theu get stuck everywhere, they stare at you like a stoner while fighting sometimes while you command it to fight and it is perfectly tamed. 

They don't fetch, find or forage anything for you. They don't hold items for you. 

I can go on and on but yea... Animal taming needs a big rework so its rewarding to do. 

Right now im lvl 50 taming but whats the point? I can tame a tortoise or a croc for fighting purposes and thats basically it. 

I can't even ride my unicorns and crocs since they need a ridiculous amount of body control first to be able to ride. 

They WHY am i able to tame them at such low lvl while i cannot ride them yet?? Wogic? 

Really would love the ability to tame a dog to fetch arrows right now!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Katrat said:

Really would love the ability to tame a dog to fetch arrows right now!

Or how about barking when a troll is some tiles behind you, looking at you? 

Dogs can be awesome pets in Wurm. 

They just need to add functionality to dogs like fetching, foraging, barking when dangerous monster nearby, etc. 

Edited by Berms
  • Like 1

+1 to taming/pet management rework.

Also, I wouldn't mind if pets didn't get killed by my hell cart. Even if it's behind a bred trait on the pet or a taming skill requirement or some other limiter.

I use a hell cart and the amount of downsides are plenty as it is. Taming a deer and then have it get killed on the way back home is a bit meh/restrictive with the only way of playing around it is to use a different (considerably slower) cart for exploring.

• Like 1