Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Catching up!

1 hour ago, RainRain said:

if the only value in the skill you grind is the time you invest into it you probably shouldn't grind the skill

Yea I guess we should all just go play other games like you?

• Like 2

Thank you the prayer skill gain fix was long overdue and the goat helm looks really nice.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Joemog said:

Yea I guess we should all just go play other games like you?

would probably be healthier for ya

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Joemog said:

@Retrograde

Any plans to obliterate value of others skills?

Might almost as well play WU if the official servers aren't going to be persistent and respectful of players time investments.

what value is there to prayer lmfao

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Madnath said:

what value is there to prayer lmfao

Benediction!?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joemog said:

Benediction!?

sounds like the skill has no intrinsic value and the only amount of value put into it was being an arbitrary objective to attain something else

reminds me of cocoa beans and foraging :)

1 hour ago, RainRain said:

sounds like the skill has no intrinsic value and the only amount of value put into it was being an arbitrary objective to attain something else

reminds me of cocoa beans and foraging :)

The fact of the matter is the devs are getting rid of all the grinds and just devaluing people who actually want to play the game. Body strength curve, sotg starting at lvl 4. Slowly they are turning the game into "just log in to pvp" style.

47 minutes ago, Atndy said:

The fact of the matter is the devs are getting rid of all the grinds and just devaluing people who actually want to play the game. Body strength curve, sotg starting at lvl 4. Slowly they are turning the game into "just log in to pvp" style.

sound like good changes to me

really love how the same arguments boil down to "wow the game is losing everything that makes it difficulty and hard to grind! we'll just become another (insert rust-like game here)!" as if the specific things being changes have zero other nuance about them

y'all need to think about the type of game design that's healthier for new players to come and stay and the future of the game, not feed further into your own playstyles and cement the things you already do on a daily basis forever; same thing happened in pvp balance discussions.

Edited by RainRain

3 hours ago, Joemog said:

Benediction!?

making us grind a worthless skill to get a boost isn't really that great though, it doesn't really take away from the other tasks you have to do, that's one thing the crafter journal got right in most tiers, and the times you do need to grind a skill (with the exception of fishing) it's usually very worthwhile to have anyway

save this level of overreaction for when the change is live, chances are we'll still be urinating time away doing it anyway, it'll just be less god awful

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 3

A well needed update! Much love for discussing it before actually making the change and also keeping us updated on the fighting changes. 

+1

• Like 1

Priests need another journal page or 6.  If there were more pages, those who did 70 prayer under the old system could get credit for some later page related goal (perhaps change the current 70+ skill to 90+ skill and making 90 a higher journal page goal???).  In that way, no one would feel like their achievement was devalued and the newer players wouldn't be penalized. 

Maybe someone can improve this suggestion? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AgentQwarty said:

Priests need another journal page or 6.  If there were more pages, those who did 70 prayer under the old system could get credit for some later page related goal (perhaps change the current 70+ skill to 90+ skill and making 90 a higher journal page goal???).  In that way, no one would feel like their achievement was devalued and the newer players wouldn't be penalized. 

Well, it was promised when the priest goals were introduced that it will be further expanded with additional tiers ... soon (tm)

10 hours ago, AgentQwarty said:

wouldn't be far fetched to run some sort of calculation based off the new experience gain rate and shift all prayer skills up on a curve accordingly

I just want to know why (and how) prayer/faith edits are here a month after suggested when AH is clearly broken and people have been asking for it to be fixed for years. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that people spend money on alts for priests and keeping AH broken means more money through Fo Alts.

Edited by Whane

8 minutes ago, Whane said:

I just want to know why (and how) prayer/faith edits are here a month after suggested when AH is clearly broken and people have been asking for it to be fixed for years. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that people spend money on alts for priests and keeping AH broken means more money through Fo Alts.

Because this would be a complete rework of how traits work and the systems / bonuses. 

Its been something we've wanted to do for some time, but have lacked the ability to do so. 

It is in our list to do however! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Because this would be a complete rework of how traits work and the systems / bonuses. 

Its been something we've wanted to do for some time, but have lacked the ability to do so. 

Make it part of a creature/taming rework.

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I didn't think a formula correction would require a complete rework anymore than inverting faith's impact on prayer; both are formula changes right?

An edit of the trait formula to allow for a decrease in the chance to breed a negative trait as AH skill goes up would suffice as a quick fix. For example, decrease the chance to breed a negative trait by 1% for every skill point in AH so that by AH 99 there would only be a 1% chance to get a negative trait. Or this could trigger every 10 skill points for a 10% decrease which is effectively the same, but with different ticks. Since those values already exist, no additional mechanics would need to be introduced to the game and then breeders would no longer be penalized for improving AH beyond the 43 - 50 skill level.

It's nice to know it's on the list (is there a link for the list?) but at this point I'd have to say I lack confidence in ever seeing it get fixed whether it is a formula fix or a "complete rework" because it seems that improvements have higher priority over fixing broken skills. I mean, the post I referenced in my previous comment was from 2017. 😑

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, RainRain said:

sound like good changes to me

really love how the same arguments boil down to "wow the game is losing everything that makes it difficulty and hard to grind! we'll just become another (insert rust-like game here)!" as if the specific things being changes have zero other nuance about them

y'all need to think about the type of game design that's healthier for new players to come and stay and the future of the game, not feed further into your own playstyles and cement the things you already do on a daily basis forever; same thing happened in pvp balance discussions.

I agree.

Even if Wurm suddenly increased skillgain by 5 times the current rate, it would still be the most grindiest game in existence on the market right now. 

If people love "the grind" so much, feel free to go to other games. The reality is Wurm needs to steer away from "The holy grind" which was/is 99% of its game design and actually make immersive worthwhile systems to make it worth the trouble of sinking 200 RL hours into 1 skill. I could spend those hours brushing up on python or something rather than making healing covers to get my alchemy skill up to....do nothing? Alchemy has 0 depth. Most wurm skills have zero depth.

I'd rather see each skill get a complete rework with deep and fun mechanics like the ability to have permanently tamed pets that can do tricks, the ability to have an alchemy bench to experiment with recipes (An alchemy update even 50% of the cooking update would be amazing). 

"This holy grind we've wasted 1000 hours on will suddenly devalue our lives"....jesus, games constantly change the value of items or skills. Used to be 1 cherry or tome sold for 1000 Euros a piece 8 years ago. Now? They are a dime a dozen. Can literally buy them with 50-100 euros or using mark shop.

Accept that Wurm needs better, faster and more in depth mechanics rather than being addicted to watching timers like a brain dead zombie cause "that's muh gameplay". "The holy grind" will grind wurm into the ground if it's not changed. 

Full disclosure, I've grinded a ton of skills, have over 9000 skillpoints, a skill taken to 100, and I wouldn't mind if people could get my skills 20 times faster IF it made the game more fun and had more players. Just my usual rant. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, Retrograde said:

Probably NO chance to get a list of things devs have plans to work on?

Yet.. are there any plans to somehow start a practice of marking suggestions that are under consideration of some kind, this excludes direct reworks of mechanics and content, but gives players who suggest changes some kind of feedback, also lets people further discuss views/concerns/suggestions for improvement/etc..

Without this, the suggestion section on the forums looks like a graveyard, we have a tutorial how to post suggestions and so on.. but usually there's no dev/staff feedback in any of the topics.

On 1/26/2021 at 1:35 AM, Retrograde said:

Is it possible to know what's on the to do list and what's prioritized? 

You made prayer a very easy task whoever got 70 i will look at them as a noob now so go ahead and show the title, I'll be sure to point fun at you.